Factory speakers blow.... literally

This is a discussion on Factory speakers blow.... literally within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whats wrong here: I've had my wrx for 4 mo. and the front left speaker blew the other night. My ...

Factory speakers blow.... literally

Whats wrong here: I've had my wrx for 4 mo. and the front left speaker blew the other night. My bass is -3 and volume rarely goes over 6. I like bluegrass and acid jazz, not rap. These speakers suck!

I don't have a clue how to replace it or what to get (size, brand). Any recommendations? I'd like to put a new one in myself; it'd be a first.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    They are not the best sounding speakers for sure ...

Did you buy the WRX new or used (warranty)?

Bluegrass? Like Clarence White?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Factory subie speakers pretty much suck. They sound ok new but you can't get much volume out of them before they go to crap. If you pulled one and looked at it you would see that it's not much of a speaker!
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

I Support ClubWRX
    What year WRX?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

What does the dealer want for a new speaker? Knock $20 off their price and I'll sell mine to you.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

On my way into work this morning I was thinking about this. Perhaps the back of your speaker woofer got wet and froze causing it to sound blown. Just an idea, but not likely if the temps have been above freezing during the day/while driving in your area.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.