Fiberglass Enclosure Part 2 w/pics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fiberglass Enclosure Part 2 w/pics within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, forgot to take a picture of this step but after the fiberglass had fully cured I pulled it out ...

Fiberglass Enclosure Part 2 w/pics

Ok, forgot to take a picture of this step but after the fiberglass had fully cured I pulled it out and added more mat till she was good and strong. I then used packaging peanuts to fill it up and give me a pretty close volume of air I needed. Then cut the fiberglass to that line. Made a ring for my woofer and then after playing around with the angle cut a piece to hold it into place. My woofer is going to be countersunk into the ring, and I made it oversized so I can make a cool trim piece to flush in the woofer. Then I stretched fleece over the whole thing. Next is the resin!

"I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You have inspired me to build a curvy box and paint it. I am not sure if I will use two twelves or two 10's. I kinda like the twelves. The box I have allready built has two 10's. I pretty much finished the box but one of the subs I was going to use is shot. I love building these things. How do you calculate your air space with packaging foam. This is new to me. With the irregular shaped boxes I have built I have allways just estimated. Estimating kind of sucks because you can put so much time into something just to have it come out like crap.

that's pretty cool, you've got some good skills.

I'm going to try my hand at lying fiberglass this summer when I try and make splashshields that can work for the evo.

This is pretty amazing so far, I'd love to be able make stuff like that. Can't wait to see how it turns out...
    tim price
    Blobeye Syndicate #100

Fiberglass Enclosure Part 3 w/pics

Ok, so I got a coat of just resin on the fleece, making sure it soaked into the fleece real good. After that was dry I hit it real quick with some sand paper to knock off anything sticking up that would prevent the mat from laying down flat. Then added about 5 layers of 3/4 mat to get it strong. These enclosures work so well cause of all the contours, the box is already very strong when compared to a normal flat mdf box. It takes alot more to flex a curved panel than it does a flat one. Next comes the filler to make it smooth!

"I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

how do you get your fiberglass mat to lay down soo smoother and how to you apply your resin? i always get tons of air bubbles when i try and fiberglass.

also how are you going to mount the box to the car so its not sliding all over?

I just use a 1 1/2 inch cheap brush to apply the resin. That's the good thing about using thinner mat, it soaks up fast and you can work the air out quickly. I always pat the brush into the mat and never try to brush over it. It works the air out pretty good. Also I only mix up about 8 to 10 oz. of resin at a time. I know I can work with that much and use it all before it kicks. If you got a lot usually a person rushes trying to use it all and areas get forgotten about. Lot's of time helps too. For mounting, in the back of the enclosure on the bottom there's enough room I can drill and bolt through. You can either get under the car and use some normal bolt/nut action or I have these things called "well nuts" which are threaded nuts in a rubber grommet like housing. They front load into the metal and then when you thread a bolt into them they pull the nut up, mushrooming the rubber behind the metal. That way you don't have to get under the car. You could do some other mounting options, but those are the cleanest.

that box is looking amazing, wish i could do things like that. It would free up so much space in my trunk to have box molded into the trunk corner like that rather than a box sitting in the drivers side corner held by 2x4's to keep it from moving around.

nice work man.

how about making another and sending it my way.
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

Blobeye Syndicate #23

Quote Originally Posted by subie04
    that box is looking amazing, wish i could do things like that. It would free up so much space in my trunk to have box molded into the trunk corner like that rather than a box sitting in the drivers side corner held by 2x4's to keep it from moving around.

nice work man.

how about making another and sending it my way.
    I agree. Thats awesome. When I put my sub in thats probably the route I'm going to try and go with. I can't wait to see the finished product!
    2005 CGM STi

Thanks guy's!! Alot of time my customers that I build custom installs for don't get to see what it takes to get the final product and I don't think they realize all the work that goes into it. I'm in the process of adding filler and making it all smooth right now. Hopefully I'll be able to post some more pics later tonight of it.

Fiberglass Enclosure Part 3 w/pics

Almost done! Hit the fiberglass with my right angle grinder and started applying filler. Got her all smooth and ready to go. It's actually smoother than it needs to be for carpet but oh well. Next will be the carpet and trim ring. I think you guys will dig the finished product. I'm running behind on some other projects so not sure if I'll get it wrapped and finished today but I'll get pics up as soon as possible!!

I want that box. (drool).
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

Blobeye Syndicate #23

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    That box is sweet! It looks way better and seems to fit better than some I have seen for sale online. I can't believe how little room it takes up! I've always wanted to make a fiberglass enlcosure, but I don't think I have the willpower for that kind of work.

Your pics are ginormous!!!! I love the fiberglass. i wish i had mad scientist skillz like u!! lol nice job man!!

-mike
    HAD: 2004 WRX
    MODS: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...01#post1478901

HAVE: 2002 BMW 323CI Coupe

WRXINTEGRATIONS: I used the trick with the packaging peanuts to figure out the airspace. It worked like a charm. I decided to use two pioneer 10's I had laying around. I plugged the info into the computer program and got the info to tune the ports to 40 Hz and installed the subs. Those little tens sound amazing in my box. I will post up a pic of the box as soon as I get some time. It came out allright for a newbie. I am thinking of picking up some subs and just building boxes for practice. I can allways sell em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast