my new knobs

This is a discussion on my new knobs within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Check out my two new shift knobs. They are made from black and white acetal or delrin as some may ...

my new knobs

Check out my two new shift knobs. They are made from black and white acetal or delrin as some may know it. Along with my KB short shifter they make a great combination. What do you guys think? I prefer the black simply because it blends in with the interior but the white knob looks great also. They are much lighter than the stock leather knob and lighter than aluminum as well. No heat build up in the summer and they don't freeze the hands on those frigid mornings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wht dlrn knob.jpg   blk dlrn knob.jpg  
    Jami
    04 FXT MT
    Java black

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I know Delrin - good stuff. The white one looks like a light bulb. I might use that for the comic effect.

I may be in the minority, but I really like the stock leather knob.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

HAHA. I work at a plastic plant and deal with delrin all day. Nylon, tecaform, tecamid, tecapeek, ultem...ughhh i could go on and on.. That looks really good though. I like the black too. How did u make it?? I wanna make one now..haha. That would be cool to make one out of Ultem. Its like a clear plastic..
    My money pit

I am a CNC lathe programmer, setup,and operator.......in other words, CNC machinist. I am involved in the racing side of it so every chance I get I try to make a little something for myself. I have made shifter bushings, strut spacers for the Forester that raise the ride height, and I even fabricated myself a light bar for my FF 1000's. I would love to do much more but racing comes first.
    Jami
    04 FXT MT
    Java black

Quote Originally Posted by Jarex
    I am a CNC lathe programmer, setup,and operator.......in other words, CNC machinist. I am involved in the racing side of it so every chance I get I try to make a little something for myself. I have made shifter bushings, strut spacers for the Forester that raise the ride height, and I even fabricated myself a light bar for my FF 1000's. I would love to do much more but racing comes first.

Awesome work.... i like the black one a lot... im sick of frozen/burnt hands. Make me one please!!!!
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    I may be in the minority, but I really like the stock leather knob.
    Ha, no way man, I like that stocker too, sounds lame but I am thinkign about picking up a stock forester knob, they have the pores on the outside that let it breathe more.

Oh yeah, those 2 knobs looks great!
    "Hail to the king, baby." - BC

I like the stock leather knob as well. However, as a mchinist I just cannot live without making things for my car.
    Jami
    04 FXT MT
    Java black

The black one looks cool. The white one really does look like a lightbulb...
    Strong work!
    Chris
    '04 PSM WRX Sedan
    Blobeye Syndicate #8

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The black one looks good. The white one almost gives it an old muscle car vibe.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

That's very clever and funny, nice going.
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

black looks decent, white doesnt. the quality of work looks great, i just dont think the material is ideal for what you're making. just cant imagine it having a good feel, and the lighter it is the more work you have to do to get the car into gear because of less leverage from the shifter itself.
    wish i could make that stuff though, anything else planned for the future?

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

black looks decent, white doesnt. the quality of work looks great, i just dont think the material is ideal for what you're making. just cant imagine it having a good feel, and the lighter it is the more work you have to do to get the car into gear because of less leverage from the shifter itself.
    wish i could make that stuff though, anything else planned for the future?
    I would expect the black knob would be more popular. As far as the material goes, it is very strong and hard to say the least. It may be lighter but the feel of the knob is better than one might expect. Shifting gears is not at all like work. I have made these knobs from aluminum, 303 & 304 stainless, and now delrin. I currently have a Kartboy forester specific short shifter with my own delrin bushings along with the delrin shift knob and I am totally pleased with the combination. I do not have any new ideas at this point in time. Right now I am just trying to catch up with the demand for racing components before the season starts. As far as the knobs go, I make them occasionally to sell but I only sell them on the Forester forums. That pretty much goes for anything that is Subaru related.
    Jami
    04 FXT MT
    Java black