False Floor in 02 REX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on False Floor in 02 REX within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i am looking for some ideas and/or instructions (primarilly instructions) for a false floor install for 2 12" subs in ...

False Floor in 02 REX

i am looking for some ideas and/or instructions (primarilly instructions) for a false floor install for 2 12" subs in the rex without the spare tire.

can anyone be of some help here.?
    2002 bugeyes
    It just looks stock . . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Your basically looking for a "how to" fiberglass your spare tire well into an enclosure with an amp rack and trim panels so it all looks factory yeah? I have an 05 WRX sedan and am going to be starting one in it here in the very near futrue. I was thinking of making a mold of it so I could make another if I wanted. I'm not sure but I thought the 02 's trunk were alittle different than the 04 and 05's. Anybody know for sure? I've done alot of custom audio work using just about everything you could think of so depending on how crazy you want to get i'll probably have some pictures. Here's a couple of a 03 WRX wagon I did just alittle while ago. He wasn't concerned about space, just wanted it more for show. I had the N.O.S. bottles painted to match the exterior and had matching two tone gray / black vinyl. A person can also build it so everything is flat with removable trim panels that show off your equipment, you'll only lose a couple of inches of overall trunk floor height depending on what subs you have.

"I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

First thing that you need to do is see how much air space is need. Then you need to know how much air space is in the spare tire well. I can tell you the spare tire well is about 1.25cft. I can also tell you that 2 12 will be a tight fit in the spare tire well.
    After you have done all the above you will need to make a frame out of MDF, line the trunk with wax paper and foil, and sterch some cloth and cover with resein. This sound easy but can a huge mess. here is a site that sell how to vids https://selectproducts.com/html/frame2/frames2.htm

thanks for all the replies fellas. and i did some searching around and found some ideas for the enclosure. the spare tire well seems like the way to go for me even though i have 2 12s. i know how to do the fiberglassing as i am certified in paint and body and have done it proffessionally for a few years.

i just hope the audiobahns that i have arent too much for the spare tire well.(i will check)

and does anyone know if you can fiberglass over the mdf? so that it can be painted. i am not sure if this would work as i dont normally use fiberglass with wood or particle board.
    lol
    2002 bugeyes

To paint MDF you don't have to glass it. You can seal and paint the MDF or use Bondo or the some like it and paint. But yes glass will stick to MDF. If you are running to 12" audiobahn subs I would say that you are going to need around 3cft of air space.

well if i have subs that require that much cubic ft. of air space is it feesable to try to make a false floor for them?

ps i need to check to actually see how much air space they actually require. (tomorrow)
    2002 bugeyes

With 2 12 the false floor will be hard to do. I have install 2 10 or 1 12 in false floors. A lot will depend on the air space needed and the size of the subs. If I was you I would built a custom box at fix the seat and do the amps and other gear in the false fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart Racer
    With 2 12 the false floor will be hard to do. I have install 2 10 or 1 12 in false floors. A lot will depend on the air space needed and the size of the subs. If I was you I would built a custom box at fix the seat and do the amps and other gear in the false fool.

thats kinda what i was afraid of. i am bored with the subs against the seats kinda look, but if i have to do it i guess that i will

Audiobahn AW1200EU specs

minimum sealed 0.7 cubic ft.
    maximum sealed 1.56 cubic ft.
    vented 1.25
    2002 bugeyes

A 12 in a .7 box will be boomy amd not very good sounding. The larger box will sound better and play a wide range. Check the freqs for each box, and power needs/ output.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart Racer
    First thing that you need to do is see how much air space is need. Then you need to know how much air space is in the spare tire well. I can tell you the spare tire well is about 1.25cft. I can also tell you that 2 12 will be a tight fit in the spare tire well.
    After you have done all the above you will need to make a frame out of MDF, line the trunk with wax paper and foil, and sterch some cloth and cover with resein. This sound easy but can a huge mess. here is a site that sell how to vids https://selectproducts.com/html/frame2/frames2.htm
    So is that 1.25cft. with the spare tire in place?

That is with out the spare tire.

so what 2 10"subs would be a good choice for the fiberglass spare tire type enclosure.?

JL W6s?
    Infinity?

NO REALLY HIGH END I.E.-EXPENSIVE recommendations please cause if i could afford i would go JLW7.
    2002 bugeyes

Quote Originally Posted by fatalbertswrx
    so what 2 10"subs would be a good choice for the fiberglass spare tire type enclosure.?

JL W6s?
    Infinity?

NO REALLY HIGH END I.E.-EXPENSIVE recommendations please cause if i could afford i would go JLW7.
    Any sub really that works well in a sealed box. The fiberglass spare tire well works well cause you can conform the box to the odd well shape and use all that air that you would normally lose in a mdf enclosure. My 05 sedan has closer to 1.75 cubes when filled with packaging peanuts. Of course your going to lose some with the fiberglass and any braces you have in there. If it's too much air for the subs you want to use just put in an mdf divider that cuts the size of the well down before you fiberglass. I would either choose a JL Audio sub or a Diamond Audio one. Out of all the subs I've installed in my day those are by far the best. Both companies have different levels of subs and the key is to match them with the right powered amp. Both those companies entry level subwoofers are great. It really depends on how much bass your looking for. Two decent 10's in a well constructed box, with the proper power will outplay any set of seperates. Unless you want to be heard blocks down the road two 10's or one 12 will work great!
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

thanks for the input.

i have had every line of the JL subs (except the W7) and have loved them all except the
    W0s. they suck if you put any power to them, i have 2 audiobahn 12s now and they wont work with the spare tire enclosure and thats the way i want to go, and i think i am getting old because the 12s are getting to be too boomy for me. I want more of a punch now for rock music instead of the lower end for rap (not listening to it much anymore).

is there anywhere online that still sells the w3s or w6s?
    2002 bugeyes

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.