V1 Remote Display install

This is a discussion on V1 Remote Display install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here's another idea of where to mount the V1 remote display. I didn't want to put it in the clock ...

V1 Remote Display install

Here's another idea of where to mount the V1 remote display. I didn't want to put it in the clock or gauge pod for fear of breaking something, so I put mine in the ashtray. It wasn't a perfect fit, but the fix was easy. To fill the gaps that were left aound the display, I cut up a piece of vinyl baseboard (the kind that is on the bottom of your kitchen walls). Total cost of this install, $0.36 for the vinyl. Total time, 20 minutes. Someone with better Xacto knife skills could probably do this even cleaner, but I think it turned out pretty solid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

I really like your set-up. I just got the V1 for x-mas and have been wondering if it would be possible to do that. Do you mind adding a bit if detail as to where you have the receiver and how you ran the wires? Thanks!

Setup

I hardwired the receiver into the power and ground wires for the auto-dimming mirror. There's good intructions on how to do it here. One edit on those directions though, the positive lead that you want is the blue, not yellow, wire. The blue wire gets constant power while the yellow is only when you're in reverse.

I mounted the reciever with the suction cups above the mirror. I've got an '05, so I have those black dots on the windshield behind the mirror. I mounted the V1 so that the bottom of the unit is touching the top of the mirror. I think that spot is perfect because the lens on the V1 is below the dots, but you really can't see it at all from the outside. I heard that using the suction cups can be a hassle if it's cold where you live and/or have those black dots. I cleaned the windshiled well and then put a drop of cooking oil on each one before I stuck it up there and it hasn't moved since.

Running the wire to the remote display is easy, but the cord you get from Valentine isn't long enough. I think they give you 8', but you need about 10'. It's just a standard phone cord. I tucked it in between the headliner and windsheild, down the passenger side A pillar, behind the glove box, and into the console. Since the phone cord is relativley flat, it's really easy to make it completely hidden. Getting the wire into the ashtray was easier than I thought. If you remove the ashtray (it slides right out), you'll see a little piece of clear plastic on the left side. I don't know why it's there, but it just pops off, making an access hole for the wire. You'll also want to remove the hinge on the ahtray if want to be able to close the door after you put the display in there.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want to see more pics of where to mount the receiver. It takes an exact placement to get the lens below the dots, but still out of sight from the outside.

your remote display should be at the place where you can see easily. ie. bottom of instrument panel where you can analyze the warning from v1 with just one look in split second. (u gotta focus on driving when you do 80+ mph)

Quote Originally Posted by TJRCS
    your remote display should be at the place where you can see easily. ie. bottom of instrument panel where you can analyze the warning from v1 with just one look in split second. (u gotta focus on driving when you do 80+ mph)
    +1

i like this install better because you don't have to look down to see it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729188