Any Opinions On The Seats I Should Get?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Any Opinions On The Seats I Should Get? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone. I gotta 02 wrx and I love everything about it, but I really don't like the seats. I ...

Question Any Opinions On The Seats I Should Get?

Hey everyone. I gotta 02 wrx and I love everything about it, but I really don't like the seats. I came to my wrx from a del sol. Conciderable change in performance, but I really liked the bucket racing seats that came with the del sol. The seats in the 02 wrx seem kinda like something you'd find out of a regular economy sedan, minus the lateral supports on the thighs. I really don't like the head rest. I don't even know why it's there becuase you have to lean your head back to use it.
    So, I was thinking of changing my seats out for something with a better hold. I really like the way the 04 seats look & I'm sure they're much better than the 02s. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I switch to the 04 seats? I would go aftermarket, but I don't like the look of a lot of aftermarket seats out there. I want it to still look stock, but give as good as a hold as the 04s, if not better. If they make a casual looking aftermarket racing seat, let me know.
    I do casual weekend autocrossing, but nothing major. Let me know what your guys' opinions are. Thanks.
    Oh, BTW, why are those seats at JCWhitney so cheap? They look like they'd hold you pretty good, but they're giving them away for like 2 for 250 or something like that. Sorry, never really looked into getting new seats til now.

-Rob
    Last edited by Emrys; 12-25-2005 at 12:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've actually read that the '02 seats have better bolstering than the 04's... I'm still going to get the 04's because I agree with you that they take away from the interior's appearance. Another option I almost took up, though, was leather seat covers. They can make the 02 seats look real nice.

seats on 02 and 03 were probably the best seats in USDM WRX/STi up to date. They were not the prettiest but they did the job. Everything from 04 on has "fat people" seats which look better but don't hold that well. There is more than a few people on the board here who swapped their STi seats for old 02-03 seats.
    So if you really care for your position behind the wheel just keep the stockers or get Sparco or Recaro seats, or JDM STi seats but don't upgrade to worse seats just because you don't like the looks.
    oh and i yet have to see an econobox with seets as good as the ones in 02 WRX :
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Hm.. I dunno about leather seat covers. I don't dig leather or seat covers that much.

that sucks that the 02s have better bolstering than the 03 or 04s though. I really don't like the way they look. Maybe I'll just stick to aftermarket. What's wrong with the ones at jcwhitney that are really cheap? Probably not aluminum. I was reading up on it a little more and I think those are made out of steel instead of aluminum.

I'm a pretty skinny dude, so I don't want something that's made for a bigger guy. Any suggestions for aftermarket seats that still look close to stock. I don't want the flashy black & yellow with a pinstripe down the center. .. just something that's close to stock as possible with still a good hold to it. Maybe something in the affordable price range too Racing seats are rediculously expensive.

Oh, btw, anyone have any pics on how the jdm sti seats look?

Or should I just go for hte us sti seats? I think someone said those hold pretty good too and still look alright. I just hate the seperate head rest thing in the 02s. it kills me to look at it.
    Last edited by Emrys; 12-31-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Didn't mean cheap seat covers... ** Re-upholstered interior: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...26044763QQrdZ1

i love my 03 seats.

when i test drove the STI i saw what you mean when you say, "fat people' seats.

i hear the JDM sti seats are for smaller people

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwithoutyou
    i love my 03 seats.

when i test drove the STI i saw what you mean when you say, "fat people' seats.

i hear the JDM sti seats are for smaller people
    They are, they hug your body.
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

I Support ClubWRX
    For a car that sees more street time than anything I always recommend stock seats because of the side airbags.

BTW - I love the feel of the '04 seats, so I bought some '04 sti seats. Then again, I think I'm one fo the fat people you're refering to...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I don't know if the 04 seats are going to work for me, so I'm in the market for something smaller. I probably won't pick up any sti seats cuz I don't want them to say "sti" on it while I'm not driving one around that would look a little stupid. I've been concidering some aftermarket ones though. It looks like if I get some black aftermarket seats, they'll still look pretty close to stock without looking too "ricer boyish".

What's the main difference in the seats out there right now? So far I've seen them made out of tubuar steel, aluminum, and I guess poly injection foam or something like that. My girl told me that she heard about certain seats breaking in collisions. . . so does that mean the poly injection foam will be prone to that? And I don't want to get the tubular steel if it's going to be way heavy. Any ideas on how much the stock seats weigh, as compared to the aftermarket ones?

-Rob

jdmpartstx.com

They have some awesome JDM spec C seats for sale right now. They are black and gorgeous!!

Super

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.