A-Pillar & Gauge or Blitz DC2?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on A-Pillar & Gauge or Blitz DC2? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm having trouble making this decision. I want the A-Pillar because it looks really nice full of gauges. I'd only ...

A-Pillar & Gauge or Blitz DC2?

I'm having trouble making this decision.

I want the A-Pillar because it looks really nice full of gauges. I'd only be getting one gauge now, boost. I'll definatly add more later.

Then I read about the Blitz DC2. Boost gauge and turbo timer are the main features. I've read that you don't need a timer in WRXs, but after reading more I'm thinking one would be nice. But if I get this, I'd never have a reason to get an A-Pillar. heh. I would want an Air/Fuel gauge but I dunno what other gauges I'd use.

Just curious to hear your opinions/preferences on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pug
    Can't go wrong either way. Why not compromise and get the Blitz DC2 plus 2 or 3 gauges on the A-pillar?

Personally, even though a digital readout is more practical for the boost gauge, I like the style of an analog gauge. For myself, I'm planning to get a 3 pod A-pillar, with boost, EGT, and oil temp.

I can't get used to a digital gauge for easy viewing... It's great for displaying a recorded peak - but I like to watch the needles sweep during driving...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Maybe I'll end up getting both. But I get to choose one right now. Not sure which to get. What do you DC2 owners think of it?

Also, if I get analog, I'd like to get gauges that light up blue and are black like stock. I'm not sure if I like the white gauges, even though some light up blue nicely. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Autometer Cobalt series. Really nice, but I don't think I want to pay $199 for ONE gauge.

Apexi EL black-faced gauges might fit the bill. The faces are black, but the white numbers light up "indiglo" at night...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

I think a turbo timer is not necessary when you're talking about a stock engine. If it was a problem, I'm sure Subaru would have included it, cause they wouldn't want to replace an expensive turbo for the lack of a <$100 gizmo.

I do believe once performance mods increase the output of the turbo (bringing it beyond factory specs), then a timer is probably a good idea. Whatever cooling mechanisms it already has is now asked to do more (which was not planned by the mnaufacturer).

I can't speak from experience, but an Air/fuel gauge is generally percieved as a tuner's gauge. I would think unless you're specifically using it to qualify a mod, it'll be moving around too much to be much help for everyday driving.

I'd go for boost, EGT, oil pressure and oil temp. Boost on the steering column next to the Tach and the others on the pillar.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

The DTT is really a $$$$ saving alternative to an analog boost gauge. Sometimes I wish I could see the needle sweeping up and down, but when I go to adjust my MBC, I thank the car gods for the digital readout and peak and warning functions on the Blitz.

If you're going for looks, get a column mounted gauge.

If you're going for easy tuning and a cost effective solution, get the Blitz.

What does an EGT gauge do?

I'm so torn between these two mods. I don't know which to do. I like the look of the gauges and will probably still get an analog boost gauge eventually. But I like the features of the DTT.

After reading more, I think I could do this. I just need to know how to remove the stearing column and console panel(s). Those who own this TT, where did you install the LCD? I think I want to put it next to the cup holder above the stereo, but don't know how to route it. And dunno where to put the extra module.

I'm also leary about setting up the boost gauge. Not exactly sure where to tap in. Plus, if I install the DTT, will I be able to install an analog boost gauge also?

Isn't the point of the TT to not allow the oil to clot around the turbo?
    Last edited by verbal; 11-07-2002 at 12:45 PM.

EGT measure the exhuast gas temperature at whatever point in the exhaust stream you tap (place the sensor probe). Most recommend drilling into the exhaust manifold and tapping it there.
    Some seem content at tapping the up-pipe to the turbo.

You can search EGT to find more details on people's interpretation of readings.

Removing dash components (which includes the steering column) is just a matter of unscrewing all the screws and undoing the fasteners. The latter can be tricky, but if you're careful, anyone can do this.

Once the dash covers are out, routing the wires does not seem all that difficult. Most gauges have both a power wire and a ground. If you know how to splice wires, then there's nothing to it. Any button that lights up on the wrx can be tapped for power. As for the boost line, you can get a tee and tap right before the factory BOV (as the subaru boost gauge directions state).

I just installed my boost gauge and that was the first time I ever did anything like that. It wasn't difficult.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

1 other thing.

Once you start messing w/ the car, you are technically outside the original specs of the car. Also, people who mod also tends to push their car harder. both reasons support the need for more gauges. If you plan on doing a lot more to the car, then invest in gauges. I would like to see oil temp, pressure, and egt's, and boost readout, whenever I suspect somehting is wrong...for peace of mind. The water temp currently on the dash is a dummy gauge. Once that starts shooting up, it may be too late.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I Support ClubWRX
    Get the Blitz Dual DC Turbo Timer. It has a built in digital boost gauge that is very helpful when setting up a MBC. It also has a overboost function, that you can set at a desired boost, and beeps when you hit that set boost which has saved my motor quite a few times. There also is a harness you can buy for it, specifically for the WRX. You can also set the alarm with the motor running. Here's a link that should help you.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showt...light=pink+wire

I mounted mine right next to the cup holder above the radio with double sided tape.

Good luck in your decision.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

If I get the Blitz, would I be able to add an analog boost gauge later AND use the digital gauge?

I don't want to use double sided tape just incase I decide to move it later. I was thinking velcro, heh. Anybody have any idea of ways to make it stick without "damaging" where you put it?

I'm starting to lean towards the Blitz. But still undecided. I'm very indecisive, as you can tell.

How did you run it to the cup holder? Did you have to take the whole console apart?

I think I know how to splice a wire, but could somebody tell me? It's funny, I can build a computer no problem. But when it comes to tapping into wires I'm leary.

Does the Blitz come with everything I need (besides the harness) to install it? Does it come with the hoses for the boost gauge?

The Blitz does indeed come with everything you need for the install!

In regards to having the blitz and an analog boost gauge, this will work fine, and the two will have no impact on eachother's performance.

Splicing wires is very easy, and the TT includes a couple splices to use anyways!

If anybody reading this is thinking about installing the Blitz DTT DC2, don't believe anything in this thread.

I'm a smart guy. Computers are a big thing in my life and I consider myself a professional.

I just spent an hour and a half trying to install this, and it was a joke. I'm not even finished. I'm going to pay God to do it for me.

At first unplugging the ignition harness was the hardest part. Not much room to work with. But I got it. Got everything all plugged in (I bought the harness). BUT had no clue where to hookup the grounding wires. Spent 20 minutes looking for screws to hook them up to but had no idea which ones to use. There were two on a sheet of metal by the steering column but wasn't sure if I could use those. And all the others I found were near the pedals and I didn't want loose wires hanging by the pedals. Everybody tells me they mount it behind the glovebox so I'm trying to run wires back there, but couldn't find a way to snake them back there. Then I decide to try to hookup the wire to the parking brake. I pull off the plastic of the console, breaking one of the white clips. Then I finally find the pink wire for the parking brake, but there is absolutly NO room to work there. I say screw it and put everything back to normal since it's getting dark. Plus I'd still have to run the hose for the boost gauge, which I'm DEFINATLY not touching.

I'm so pissed right now. Just wasted all my time. I'm not blaming anybody here. I just need to vent. I thought I could do it since everybody said it was so easy. But I was wrong. If you're thinking about doing this, think twice before trying it yourelf.

Verbal,

You bring up a good point. easy and difficult are very relative terms and we (the ClubWRX community) probably throw those terms around w/o qualifying them many times.

I'm sorry for your hardship. In hindsite almost everything we do is either "hard' or "easy", I look back at my boost gauge install...now I consider that install easy, but that dang thing took almost 3 hours to do.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.