Back Pain in Car - help?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Back Pain in Car - help? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I hope this is in the correct forum, if not, Mods feel free to move as needed... I'm looking ...

Back Pain in Car - help?

Hi,

I hope this is in the correct forum, if not, Mods feel free to move as needed...

I'm looking for some advice from the members here. It seems over the past few months I've been experiencing a lot of back discomfort whenever I get in the car. It's not so bad in my other vehicle (Kia Sorento), but in the WRX it's pretty bad. It's pretty much within two minutes of sitting down in the car. I don't feel it when I'm at work or at home just when I'm in the car. I drive an '02. Is it possible for the seats to wear out over time? Does anyone have any suggestions I can try?

Joel
    Street-2000 BRP Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
    Snow-04 Nitro Voltage 158/06 Burton Custom Bindings/04 Vans Fargo Boots
    Photo-Canon 20d and some lenses
    Tech-Apple iBook G4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Where on your back does it hurt? Upper, mid lower?

I have 2 herniated discs (L5, S1) and it hurts my lower back a bit and my right leg gets tired during a long trip so i use a lumbar pillow and it seems to help.

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

It's all lower.
    Street-2000 BRP Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
    Snow-04 Nitro Voltage 158/06 Burton Custom Bindings/04 Vans Fargo Boots
    Photo-Canon 20d and some lenses
    Tech-Apple iBook G4

I used to have the same problem in my old car but I could just adjust the padding of the seat with a little scroll thingy (used air I think). Try a small pillow?

small pillow or something. you need lumbar support
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

My lower left back hurts when driving for 3+hours but its not terrible. I have an 04 and IMO the 02-03 seats are better.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

I have some lower back injuries as well. Try to find a physical therapy office around you. They should have some inflatable back pillows for lumbar support. They work really well because it adjusts in small increments to help everyone. Even if you don't have severe problems this pillow should be offered at a minimal cost; and if it is good enough for medical neccessity it should help you out. Check it out, it makes the biggest difference for me.
    Hey guys, I'm back!!!

stuff like this will help http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatal...pplies_UK.html or you can find one that vibrates
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Those memory foam things are nice but with real back pain they don't seem to help: me at least. They seem to just be more material in the way. If you stop by a Sharper immage you can try out and check for yourself, just don't buy there $$$$$$$.
    Hey guys, I'm back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rx4mj
    Those memory foam things are nice but with real back pain they don't seem to help: me at least. They seem to just be more material in the way. If you stop by a Sharper immage you can try out and check for yourself, just don't buy there $$$$$$$.
    thats my favrorite store to go and sit on the massaging chairs and just rest.
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I had similar problems as you. Had back surgery 3 years ago for a herniated disc at L5/S1. The problem with bucket style seats is that it places your hips/butt lower than your thighs, which puts more pressure on your lower back. the goal is to raise your hips/butt above your thighs. That can be accomplished with this or something similar: http://www.relaxtheback.com/seat-cus...6124&Site=main

That is what I used and it worked wonders. If you choose not to buy something like that, try improvising w/a pillow or cushion to produce a similar change in your seating... and see if that helps. Also, try raising your seat as high as possible w/o losing comfort.

Hope this helps.

p.s. nice board you got there... timeless... i have an 02 & 04 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider
    Hi,

I hope this is in the correct forum, if not, Mods feel free to move as needed...

I'm looking for some advice from the members here. It seems over the past few months I've been experiencing a lot of back discomfort whenever I get in the car. It's not so bad in my other vehicle (Kia Sorento), but in the WRX it's pretty bad. It's pretty much within two minutes of sitting down in the car. I don't feel it when I'm at work or at home just when I'm in the car. I drive an '02. Is it possible for the seats to wear out over time? Does anyone have any suggestions I can try?

Joel

Pepboys has this real neat memory foam lumbar support pillow. Its like $12 here.

Long Trip

I used to have the same problem with back pain driving my Camry.

I would drive from home to school (Richmond to Virginia Tech) which is about 3.5 hours and my back would hurt like mad. Then this summer I worked out in AZ and drove out there. 3 10-hour days alone in the car...the first day I was kinda sore, but after that, I haven't had any trouble since...crazy huh?

do you have any suspension mods?
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.