Gauge Shopping
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Gauge Shopping within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm thinking about an A-Pillar and a couple gauges. Mainly just want a boost gauge right now. I've looked on ...

Gauge Shopping

I'm thinking about an A-Pillar and a couple gauges. Mainly just want a boost gauge right now.

I've looked on http://www.kastleskorner.com and most of the gauges on there are in the $100s. Then I look at http://summitracing.com and a single gauge is around $50. Why is kastles so much more?

Any recommendations in a boost gauge? If possible, I'd like one with blue light.

And are there any a-pillars that match the color of the current piller? the light grey.

And what other supplies would I need to get them up and running? I see thiings about control units. Also, autometer has a ton of different series of gauges on summit racing. Why are there so many when they all do the same thing?
    Last edited by verbal; 11-04-2002 at 08:31 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

go for the autometer phantom gauge.....they come backlit with these stupid bulbs...so what i did is wire up 2 of those cobalt blue leds and used them to backlight my gauge....if you decide to get this gauge and want help on how to do this pm me or somthing..but the gauge is really accurate i have found.

Verbal,

I kinda had the same question... might wanna check out some of the replies/links on the other post...

Boost Gagues?

Does anybody know why there is such a big price difference between those two sites? They are different brand gauges. Are Blitz gauges that much better than Autometers? Will I need other parts with Autometers? If so, what parts? Since the prices are so cheap on summitracing, I'm considering buying a a-pillar and 1 or 2 autometer gauges. Definatly buying boost. Not sure which other to buy.

Anybody know of an Autometer series that is the black gauge but lights up blue? Or does anybody know if there is a socket for a bulb in the autometer gauge? I plan on changing my dash lights to blue and would like the extra gauges to match. The white indiglo gauges match nicely at night. But might not look good during the day since they're white.

I just read about the Autometer Cobalt gauges. They are blue and look pretty nice. But WHY the hell are they $199 each (on summit racing)?? The air/fuel gauge is $69. It says they are electronic.

So the electronic gauges are the expensive ones? Are the other Autometer gauges that are $50+ not electronic? What are the advantages to electronic?

bump

for more answers
    im interested in the same question
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

I think Summit's prices are so low because of the huge volume of products they offer. They are a very big vendor. I had all my gauges shipped from them (autometer phantom series boost, EGT + probe, and A/F). They have 2nd day free shipping, cant beat that.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

i mostly was wondering (reason for bump):

will the $60 autometer gauges be accurate?

I've researched gauges some, here's my stab at answering some Qs.

Electric gauges are generally more expensive, but not all gauges are the same, meaning a fuel pressure gauge cost quite a bit more than a boost guage per say. So you can't compare different function guages...eacg function has it's own mechanical gauge price, elect. gauge price, and high-end electric (peak hold and warning light).

Again, features like peak hold and warning are only available for electric gauges and usually cost over $150 regardless of brand.

If you compare an autometer brand gauge with a Blitz or other high-end gauge...there is a clear difference in the build quality, but that does not mean one functions any better than the other. It may be the difference between a $100 watch and a $1000 watch...with modern technology, both are accurate time keepers.

Lotek offer A-pillar in the WRX gray color. (misc. answer)

A lot of the gauge come w/ bulb covers available in red, green, etc. Call the place and get details for the gauge you want.

Control units (ie. defi and some greddy gauges), are a way to centralize the installation. For gauges that require this, they ARE required and adds to the cost. I've found most of the high-end gauges include the wires and hoses and couplings necessary for install, but it's best to call and confirm. Autometer gauges may come with everything or not. They package them a bit differently, but usually the additional stuff still doesn't take the final price as high as the other gauges.

For Autometer and Vdo, go to Egauges.com, this website is excellent for figuring out what you need and they have prices.

Good luck!.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

im planning on getting a boost gauge right now but want to mount it in the stock gauge spot.

do i have to even use the oem gauge pod or can i just get one from somewhere else cheaper? i'd prefer a 60mm gauge but it doesnt really matter.

as long as the price for the gauge AND mounting pod is cheap that's what's most important. hopefully less than $40 for the pod

any suggestions?

The stock boost gauge and pod on the steering column is like 45mm, that's too small and I don't think autometer or most other mainstream maker offer that size. 52 mm or 60mm are the norms.

cups and mounting brackets are relatively cheap...about $10. Checkout the NAsioc personal for sale forum. There's plenty of used gauges (like new) with pods available for cheap.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

muchas gracias

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.