this stupid smell is AGGRIVATING!!!

This is a discussion on this stupid smell is AGGRIVATING!!! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I FINALLY post here about it. There is a certain smell that comes from the vents when I turn on ...

this stupid smell is AGGRIVATING!!!

I FINALLY post here about it. There is a certain smell that comes from the vents when I turn on the defroster. NO OTHER TIME does this do it.
    Does anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it?
    thnx, STomp
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If it smells like coolant, well then it's coolant and your heater core is leaking. That's not likely though. Do you know what A/C lube smells like? If it's that, then the A/C (which runs constitutively when the defroster is running) may have sprouted a leak. That's unlikely also though.

my car smells

If it smells like ganja or some other such spiritual aid, it's likely microorganisms living in your ducting. You can buy a spray or you can roll down all the windows and let the fan run on high for several minutes after using the system and it might get the smell out after a few cycles. Some species are really resilient and can sporulate though so they're hard to get rid of. Check the cabin filter behind the glove box too just in case, and like I said in the previous thread if you have Bob Marley CDs in the stereo, remove them.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Could be a dead mouse or something. That happened to my fathers truck. It was absolutely horrible.

If it smells like ganja or some other such spiritual aid, it's likely microorganisms living in your ducting.
    That is what I was thinking, anytime you have that recirculate on for a/c or whatever, it is going to suck all of that in there and then you will smell it everytime you turn it on. Whether you were smoking cigarettes or fatties, or just some greasy fast food, stay away from the recirculate if you dont want that smell staying in there.

I Support ClubWRX
    The sad thing is, even if you don't smoke anything in the car the vents can get moisture and then they get buggy and it smells like skunk anyway. Mine stunk really bad until I made a point of letting them dry out.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I haven't smoked anything in there in just about a year.
    It smells....like feet, but worse

(and NO, it is NOT me)
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxlude
    I haven't smoked anything in there in just about a year.
    It smells....like feet, but worse

(and NO, it is NOT me)

oh man.. you answered my ? before I could ask...
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Peachypumpkincheeks

Glade car-vent air fresheners do an amazing job of covering up stinky smells. And they are available in manly scents too such as 'fresh outdoors' so you don't have to settle for the 'jasmine mist' or 'tropical breeze'.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I get some strange smell when I turn on my defroster most of the time... it sort of smells like dust, but it's hard to describe. I am going to try cleaning out/replacing the air filter behind the glove box and see if that helps
    NEWENGLANDF4
    1972 Corvette - LS6 / T56 powered