Boost Gagues?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Boost Gagues? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm jsut starting to modify my WRX and i'm looking to install a boost gague as my first mod... Is ...

Boost Gagues?

I'm jsut starting to modify my WRX and i'm looking to install a boost gague as my first mod... Is this a good investment? I figure sooner or later i will HAVE to pick one up so if its worth it, what gagues are the best...

I've been thinking about buying the "subaru" boost gague from wrxparts.com at $175 (its probably the cheapest i have seen and it looks pretty easy to install)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Wili

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I say you're on the right track! I picked the vdo boost gauge because it closely matches the factory instrumentation and is relatively inexpensive...

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/search...der=descending
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Some turbo timers are ~100 or so and have gauges on them. May want to look into them.

tcc

Thanks alot you guys... I will definetly check into both of your ideas

Scooby... how did you mount your gague? I liked the subaru one b/c it mount son the steering column, but i'm am not opposed to putting gague housing in on the a pillar... I have a wagon so i've heard that A pillar attachments tend not to fit perfectly on my WRX...

-Wili

Check the bottom portion of this thread out for some pix of my setup:

Boost Gauge Options Q
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

haha Scooby that is a hella tight set up... much respect to you on that one

I highly reccomend getting a Blitz DTT DCII for $120, you get a lot for your money as opposed to spending the same on just a boost gauge.

thanks Schaf, but does setting up the Turbo Timer require alot more time/skill than jus tthe gague itself and will the DcII work with all my stock turbo stuff? I mean is there anything else i would have ot buy like a boost controller or something?

wili

i've got the subaru piece (column mounted) and i love it. install was pretty easy, and it looks great!

dR

Originally posted by wilingham7
    thanks Schaf, but does setting up the Turbo Timer require alot more time/skill than jus tthe gague itself and will the DcII work with all my stock turbo stuff? I mean is there anything else i would have ot buy like a boost controller or something?

wili
    Nope,

The Turbo Timer was the very first thing I installed in my car and it was extremely easy. It's plug and play, so there's no way you can screw it up! You need only 1 turbocharged car to make it work

thanks everybody, your replies have helped alot! i'll let you guys know what my set up is soon when i get it all figured out

OK, so say i go with the TT option...

another nubie question im sure but...

TT vs. EBC?

what's the difference? DO any models carry both? etc? Which do you guys prefer? I don't know anything about either so

wili

Originally posted by wilingham7
    OK, so say i go with the TT option...

another nubie question im sure but...

TT vs. EBC?

what's the difference? DO any models carry both? etc? Which do you guys prefer? I don't know anything about either so

wili
    TT and EBC are actually two totally different things, and can easily be used in conjunction.

A turbo timpler simply plugs into the ignition harness and based on a number of factors keeps the car idling for a certain amout of time after you remove the key from the ignition. The function of this is to prolong the life of your turbocharger. Some TT's also have additional features; in the case of the Blitz DTT DCII, this is the boost gauge function.

An EBC, is an electronic boost controller. This piece of equipment controls your boost level by means of a solenoid placed in the engine bay. Most mid-high end EBC's include a boost gauge function, but cheaper ones do not.

The TT and EBC are also in totally different price ranges. You can pick up a TT for $80-$120, and an EBC costs $300-$600. You really don't need an EBC in lesser states of tune, but it can help prevent damage to your car compared to a poorly tuned MBC.

$175 for the boost gauge??? sorry, but unless matching the gauge to the other gauges is that important i'd get one from somewhere else. I got an autometer and a a-pillar pod that matches perfect for a total of $100.
    autobahn storming scooby

hey shaf,

yeah i don't have the cash to spen on an EBC but i do for the MBC but i've heard mixed reviews about MBC... from what i can gather it seems like MBC are all you would need as long as ur not a dumbass tuning it...

what brands of MBC do u reccomend...cause i've seen them from like $75 up to like ~$200

thanks again everyone

wili

PS blackshadow...i agree

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast