Boost Gagues? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Boost Gagues? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Wili: MBC's definitely the way to go in the begining, as long as you're careful about tuning it correctly (which ...

Wili:

MBC's definitely the way to go in the begining, as long as you're careful about tuning it correctly (which as you said you have to be a dumbass to mess up ).

I currently have the Go Fast Bits one which I picked up for $50 and it works quite well. Most people however, are extremely satisfied with the Joe P, or Hallman boost controllers, which are also very good and range from $40-$100. The other popular option is the Turbo XS boost controller which is about $70.

In regards to which one to buy, everyone has their own brand preference, but they really all do the same thing. I think it would be unwise however to spend more than $50 on an MBC because there's no performance advantage to getting a more expensive one, and you may as well save the money for something else, or put it towards an EBC in the future!

While I'm happy with the GFB, there is a TON of info in this forum on the Hallman and Joe P. so I might reccomend you just go ahead and get either of those.

You can get them at http://www.boostcontroller.com/ for $45, and that's a damn good deal. You WILL be happy with a boost controller, just make sure you set it up in very small increments, and I wouldn't reccomend setting boost higher than 16-16.5 psi in 3rd!

Good luck, have fun (let me know if you need install help too)

-Michael

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thanks Michael you've been great help!

It looks like the Hallman ES kits is for me! (great deal by the way)

also, where did u buy you Blitz DCII?

thanks again man, i'll find u if i can't figure out how to put it in...etc...hehe

wili
    Last edited by wilingham7; 11-05-2002 at 09:03 PM.

I bought the TT from Garret at World One Performance, he's got AWESOME service, definitely the place to go!

www.worldoneperformance.com

-Michael

Originally posted by wilingham7
    thanks Michael you've been great help!

It looks like the Hallman ES kits is for me! (great deal by the way)

also, where did u buy you Blitz DCII?

thanks again man, i'll find u if i can't figure out how to put it in...etc...hehe

wili
    a good place to go for very competitive prices is
    www.gruppe-s.com/
    www.realultimatepower.net

Once again, can somebody please explain the benefits of the Blitz DTT DC2? I fully don't understand the functions of this product.

I've talked about this in other forums and people say the WRX doesn't need a turbo timer.

thanks to all for the help

-wili

Originally posted by verbal
    Once again, can somebody please explain the benefits of the Blitz DTT DC2? I fully don't understand the functions of this product.

I've talked about this in other forums and people say the WRX doesn't need a turbo timer.
    The benefit of a turbo timer is pretty self explanatory really. While some people do indeed claim that the newer turbochargers in the WRX don't gunk up like old ones, consider having a turbo timer as a piece-of-mind modification. It certainly won't hurt your car to leave it running for 38 seconds after you're done driving, and chances are even the mighty WRX turbo is still slightly prone to gunking up. Putting things in perspective, the dealers claim the car doesn't require ANY break in period. If you (like me) did break your car in for 1000 miles before driving hard, then you are the kind of person that would buy a turbo timer.

Finally, the Blitz DTT DCII displays boost, peak-boost, and has a boost warning, all features that would cost you $150 for an equivalent electronic boost gauge, so why not kill 2 birds with one stone and save the extra $100 for an MBC and filter!

Hmm...now I'm not sure what to do. I was thinking about getting an a pillar and boost gauge. Hmmm....

How easy is this to install? I'm not too car savvy. But with good, pictured instructions I could probably do it. Anybody know how much a performance related garage would charge to install?

Also, I read a message today about the alarm and turbo timers. I can't find the thread though. He said that his alarm goes off because of the timer. Anybody know anything about this?

I see they sell harness's for them. Would I need one of those?
    Last edited by verbal; 11-06-2002 at 08:56 PM.

The boost gauge and a-pillar pod are easy to install. it requires only very basic tools. I can give you a more detailed explanation should you need it, but so can a lot of people on this site. I don't know how much a shop would charge, but with only some very basic tools and about 1.5 to 2 hours taking your time you can do it.
    autobahn storming scooby

Thanks for the reply blackshadow, but I mean how hard is the Blitz DC2 to install. =)

Blitz DCII is cake. The only semi-difficult part is finding the grommet in the firewall so you can thread the hose through to tap boost.

Easy install altogether though:

-Remove dash panel
    -Remove console
    -Insert harness
    -Tap Parking Break
    -Tap Boost at Fuel Pressure Regulator
    -Mount display and Box
    -Close it all up

That's really it!

Sounds easy. But I'm not really car savvy. Unless it has pictures specific to the WRX, I'm not comfortable doing it at all. Or unless I have somebody show me how to do it.

Does anybody know anything about alarms and turbo timers? Can the alarm still be armed with the turbo timer "running?"

Verbal:

The turbo timer was the first modification I've ever performed on any car ever, and I'm not particularly mechanically savvy. I'm sure somebody out there has some pictures of how to do it, but for the record, I think it's probably as easy or easier than installing say a boost gauge. Regarding the alarm, I didn't set mine up so I could arm it while teh TT was running, but that's mainly because I park in a garage every night and just lock my doors rather than arm the system. Splicing the wire to arm the alarm is very easy too, and if you do a search for "Blitz DTT" I'm sure you'll find one of the many threads detailing how to do that.

Nahhh..... I'd personally go with Greddy Gauges... it's the set up I've got, and I love it! Though, if you don't like to translate Bar into PSI, than go with DEFI or some other company that has PSI.

www.worldoneperformance.com has Greddy gauges (60mm electronic) for the same price, if not cheaper than the Subaru Boost Gauge. Check out the site.

Blue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.