Odometer film removal technique: easy but risky
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Odometer film removal technique: easy but risky within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Removal of the guage pod can be found somewhere else on these forums. I was scraping the green film off ...

HJC

Odometer film removal technique: easy but risky

Removal of the guage pod can be found somewhere else on these forums.

I was scraping the green film off the back of the odometer with a small screwdriver when I got impatient and looked for an easier way. I noticed that the LCD panel moved whenever I pressed to scrape. So here's what I did.

I used some tape to suspend the speedo needle in the top around 80mph. The platic between the tach and speedo was cut already (covered by the bezel anyways) so I could flip the platic piece up a bit.

Then using a q-tip cotton swab, I pushed the LCD up from the back though that little hole where the bulb goes in. Try not to press up too much as it will make it harder to put back into position. The picture will show how it flips up. What's show is already too much! Just flip enough to slide out the removable plastic piece with green film on it. I guess you can just discard that piece of plastic. But I scraped it off using a flat screwdriver and some acetone and put it back anyways. This took less than 2 minutes! I noticed that the film around the edges were extremely thick or much harder to scrape off than the center area! I couldn't even imagine the frustration of doing this though that little hole.

The pics show in the big highlighted area how the lcd flips up. the smaller highlighted oval is the piece of plastic with the green film.

The only hard part is putting it back. That plastic part has shaped tabs that will go back in only one way, so make sure the orientation is correct. Use some tweezers...etc.

The LCD will also have a tendency to bend back crooked! I spent about an hour getting the panel to bend back straight.

The needle rings on the base may pop up from flipping the plastics up. Push it back down with a small flathead screwdriver.

CAUTION: You may break the LCD metal joints! Needles may malfunction if not positioned correctly. Do this at your own risk!!!! I am NOT responsible

Last edited by HJC; 11-23-2005 at 09:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

HJC
    Come to think of it, you could just use a small screwdriver and push up just enough on the LCD panel to slide the green film covered plastic piece out of the top and discard it. Might not even have to scrape and push the LCD back and reposition it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.