Pioneer AVIC D-1

This is a discussion on Pioneer AVIC D-1 within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I installed a navigation system today - took me most of the day, but I took my time with it. ...

Pioneer AVIC D-1

I installed a navigation system today - took me most of the day, but I took my time with it.

The electronics part of the install was very easy, the hard parts were:

- Getting the dash bezel off (easy once you know how, but I had to figure it out myself)

- Getting the wires from the trunk to the cabin, a surprisingly tight fit, but very easy once I decided to take the back seat out (it always pays to jsut bite the bullet and do the step you are trying to skip)

- Figuring out which was the right wire for the emergency brake (which was stoopid - it's the only wire going directly to the base of the brake handle... I was looking at the relay at first)

- Worst part: getting the whole thing jammed completely into the dashboard with the bulky wiring harness, etc. It was tight !

All the hard stuff except getting it into the dash was ignorance related. I f I had all the pertinent info I needed up front, I could have done it in a couple hours. I probably wasted 2 or 3 hours futzing with stuff that ended up being easy once I understood how things fit and where the right clips and screws were.

Anybody looking to do this job, drop me a note - I don't have time to post details now, but will give the blow by blow on what to avoid, and how to make this an easy job.

Can anybody tell me how to find the "speed signal wire?" Also, if anybody's got tips on getting to the tailight assembly so I can hook up the wire to the back-up lights? I'm sure this is in the manual... but I'm done for tonight, I think. If you feel ike posting it, it will save me the "r-t-f-m" part.

End result is good... the faceplate looks like it has a little gap, but that is necessary due to the fact that the screen folds out for access to the cd slot. Any closet fit, and it might bind up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

any pics?
    Now: 04 WRB STi (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by xrayzebra
    I installed a navigation system today - took me most of the day, but I took my time with it.

The electronics part of the install was very easy, the hard parts were:

- Getting the dash bezel off (easy once you know how, but I had to figure it out myself)

- Getting the wires from the trunk to the cabin, a surprisingly tight fit, but very easy once I decided to take the back seat out (it always pays to jsut bite the bullet and do the step you are trying to skip)

- Figuring out which was the right wire for the emergency brake (which was stoopid - it's the only wire going directly to the base of the brake handle... I was looking at the relay at first)

- Worst part: getting the whole thing jammed completely into the dashboard with the bulky wiring harness, etc. It was tight !

All the hard stuff except getting it into the dash was ignorance related. I f I had all the pertinent info I needed up front, I could have done it in a couple hours. I probably wasted 2 or 3 hours futzing with stuff that ended up being easy once I understood how things fit and where the right clips and screws were.

Anybody looking to do this job, drop me a note - I don't have time to post details now, but will give the blow by blow on what to avoid, and how to make this an easy job.

Can anybody tell me how to find the "speed signal wire?" Also, if anybody's got tips on getting to the tailight assembly so I can hook up the wire to the back-up lights? I'm sure this is in the manual... but I'm done for tonight, I think. If you feel ike posting it, it will save me the "r-t-f-m" part.

End result is good... the faceplate looks like it has a little gap, but that is necessary due to the fact that the screen folds out for access to the cd slot. Any closet fit, and it might bind up.
    Heres the info for your speed sense,
    SUBARU, IMPREZA, 2006, Speed Sense
    green/yellow or green/black, ECM below glove box
    On the non-turbo models the vss is in pin 12 of the 35 pin plug. On the turbo models the vss is in pin 13 of the 35 pin plug. On the STi models the vss is in pin 26 of the 35 pin plug.

The vss wire is also found behind the instrument cluster.
    you can also grab the reverse wire in the kick, info:
    brown/yellow, passenger kick, harness to rear

Hope that helps ya.
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

The ECM under the glove box? Sorry if this sounds stupid..but do i just take the glove apart...or can i get to it otherwise..?

rt

under pass floor board, which is technically below the glove box.
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Integrations
    under pass floor board, which is technically below the glove box.
    Ohh...you're just talking about the ECU right? (sorry i was confused ..ECM?)

thanks!