e-brake light keeps coming on?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on e-brake light keeps coming on? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; e-brake light keeps coming on while i am driving? it doesn't slow the car down, it doesn't engage at all, ...

e-brake light keeps coming on?

e-brake light keeps coming on while i am driving? it doesn't slow the car down, it doesn't engage at all, it is just the light on the dash that keeps coming on. any ideas. or is this a comon problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Could very well be you need to replace your current brakes...I know this happened on my last car, and it was because the right rear pad was down to nothing, and was metal on metal, found out the caliper had seized and wouldn't release fully so it was dragging the pad. it's a good idea to either take it to a mecahnic or start checking all your corners for problems.
    Stock or something close to it.....

What year is your car?

I just recently had this happen on my 02 and the ebrake was not fully disengaging when I put the lever down. It would come on at random times while driving. It's got nothing to do with your brake pads.

I was able to fix the problem by getting to the rear drum brakes and cleaning/lubricating the parts I could reach, then adjusting them. It's actually pretty easy as there is a nut you turn at the bottom of the brake that controls how far it expands/contracts when you work the parking lever.

I didn't need to disassemble the drum brake at all, just adjust it to be a little looser. There's a fine line between a little looser and not engaging so try having someone work the lever while you hold the rotor in place a couple of times before you put everything back together.

This was a couple of months ago and everything is still good now. You will want to do something though because if that light is on, the brake is partially engaged and therefore wearing out/killing your gas mileage.

I Support ClubWRX
    Check your brake fluid level.

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Check your brake fluid level.

+1

Mine did that .. got a 03 . It was because the brake fluid was low.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

top off your brake fluid and then you'll be fine
    02 WRX - MODS
    Bugeye Mafia > *

I have a different theory:

The exact same thing happened to me. It would come on during hard acceleration and/or braking. Turns out I dropped a large amount of change down into the center console during one of my spirited driving sessions and a coin got wedged in the switch.

Check that before anything else.

I had the same thing happen and the brake fluid was low. I filled it up and the break light went off...

thanks for the help. i replaced my pads and filled up the fluid and it solved the problem

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.