Finally have a nice box for my subs. Perfect fit.

This is a discussion on Finally have a nice box for my subs. Perfect fit. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Dont mind the mess, I actually installed bracing under the sub that holds it in place. The strut tower brace ...

Finally have a nice box for my subs. Perfect fit.

Dont mind the mess, I actually installed bracing under the sub that holds it in place.
    The strut tower brace also helps. The box is 36x10x6. The inside walls are spaced in
    a bit, to keep the subs from having too much room. This box design can be built with a total of .91 interior space. Mine is partitioned.

The cargo door they are sitting on is open, so they fit a bit down into the opening.

The spare tire cover still opens just fine.

Overall, the fit is perfect. It doesn't move, period.

The Arc 8s are VERY good sounding subs. Punchy, and low end isn't bad at all for 8s. I'm only giving them 90 watts per side (Rated 150 rms.) I find myself turning them down.

The box can't be removed without pushing the seats down, and wrestling it out.

Still looking for grills for it....
    Last edited by Avaryc; 11-14-2005 at 06:51 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Wow that does look nice and clean. Me like.
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

very clean install..but be carefull when you brake..if you have anything back there , Its gonna slam into your subs.
    " I got four doors to fit more wh0res !!!"

SOCAL F4
    MEMBER "00"

(CLUBWRX'S 1ST OFFICIAL "F4" TEAM) est. May 2, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Z3RO
    very clean install..but be carefull when you brake..if you have anything back there , Its gonna slam into your subs.
    +1. I think you should def. get some grills on them. In fact, if you get some nice black speaker grill fabric, you could make it even more stealth.

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice.. looks great !
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Thanks =) Right now I'm thinking a false wall that basically velcros in, with stand offs to the sub box, INCLUDING speaker grills.

+1 for arc subs and a clean install. those arc subs are probably the best sounding 8's you can buy for th emoney.. ebtter then any other 8 i have ever heard.. i am using 2 arc audio 12's in my wrx and i love them. perfect for any music .. rock, rap, country, swing anything.. did you build the box yourself or is it prefab?

Quote Originally Posted by aznburn210
    +1 for arc subs and a clean install. those arc subs are probably the best sounding 8's you can buy for th emoney.. ebtter then any other 8 i have ever heard.. i am using 2 arc audio 12's in my wrx and i love them. perfect for any music .. rock, rap, country, swing anything.. did you build the box yourself or is it prefab?

I built it myself. Cost about.... $40 in materials.

I love Image Dynamics subs, I had to have the ARC 8s when I saw them and realised what they were.

My sub before was an IDMAX 12 (Didnt want to take up all my space though) and IDQ 10 before that. I love 'em.

Nice job. Where did you mount your amp?
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Under the seats.

I'm rocking 2 12's personally, 8's are kinda meh imo. nice setup tho.

It depends on which 8s, really. Most 8s I've heard I'd never even consider using. Anything available at a chain store, mho, no good. (8w7 exception.) Especially after being used to a 1000 watt powered IDMAX 12 in a 2.5 cubic foot low tuned ported box. Most 8s are barely audible, with zero low end. Not the case with the ARCs.

These 8s are plenty loud enough to be unbalanced with the front speakers (Focal Utopias at 110+ watts per side.) Any louder really, and it would just be a "boom car." Which would be good, I suppose, if I listened to rap.

Nice install.. If I was to install subs this would be one of my inspirations
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Avaryc
    It depends on which 8s, really. Most 8s I've heard I'd never even consider using. Anything available at a chain store, mho, no good. (8w7 exception.) Especially after being used to a 1000 watt powered IDMAX 12 in a 2.5 cubic foot low tuned ported box. Most 8s are barely audible, with zero low end. Not the case with the ARCs.

These 8s are plenty loud enough to be unbalanced with the front speakers (Focal Utopias at 110+ watts per side.) Any louder really, and it would just be a "boom car." Which would be good, I suppose, if I listened to rap.

fair enough. my wrx is definitely a "boom car" haha. I have 2 12in alphasonik 800 series (135oz magnets) subs at 900 rms watts each, each powered by alphasonik class d mono block amps that put out 1000 watts. I also have a digital capaciter so it doesn't drain my precious battery . definitely out bumps anything that rolls up to me. Rap is where it's at. It surprises escalades when my little subaru is louder than them.
    Last edited by labelskate; 11-26-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Yeah, the WRX's shape really gives you a huge amount of cabin gain. I bet my IDMAX with 250 watts would be louder in my WRX, than it would on its old environment (a truck)

No idea what the magnet weighs on my idmax, though I know the whole sub is about ~35lbs.

My 8s, stacked on top of each other, are just about as tall as this thing.

I may still make a box for it, just to use it once in a while in the '92.
    Last edited by Avaryc; 11-27-2005 at 08:02 AM.