Looking to disable the 'passenger air bag on/off' light...
Results 1 to 15 of 15

This is a discussion on Looking to disable the 'passenger air bag on/off' light... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone done this? I looked, but couldn't find it. That stupid light is so bright and doesn't match anything ...

  1. #1
    Registered User nerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    79

    Looking to disable the 'passenger air bag on/off' light...

    Has anyone done this? I looked, but couldn't find it. That stupid light is so bright and doesn't match anything else on the dash....wondering if there is an easy fix or if its possible to simply remove a wire connection from behind without adversely affecting the srs system.

    Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    494
    What's causing it to turn on? Cluster swap....seat removed....something unplugged???
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

  4. #3
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    What's causing it to turn on? Cluster swap....seat removed....something unplugged???
    No no, its always on. The '06 WRX and the '05 Legacy/Outback's have text that say "passenger airbag..." and it lights up by the clock.

    Im sure u can unplug something that powers the light behind it. or maybe tape the bulb w/ electrical tape?
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  5. #4
    Registered User speeddr2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    jacksonville
    Posts
    284
    eazy fix pull out cluster disassymble and remove the light bulb ... same thing if u have a cel light j.k dont pull the cel light

  6. #5
    Registered User nerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by speeddr2000
    eazy fix pull out cluster disassymble and remove the light bulb ... same thing if u have a cel light j.k dont pull the cel light
    Actually, its a little more involved. The light that I am referring to is in the clock located in the center of the dash. I took this apart on Saturday to have a look and found that this light is actually like a little module soldered to the clock circuit board. There are no bulbs, so I'm guessing that it is lit by an LED and never meant to be changed.

    Being that I didn't want to disassemble the board just yet, I left it on. However, I removed two of the wires from the harness (there were six). I removed the wires that tell the light whether a person is sitting in the seat or not. This worked out well in that the ON/OFF lights no longer lit up. However, the 'Pass Airbag' portion of the light is still illuminated because it is powered off the same pin as the clock illumination. The other problem is when those leads are removed, the 'AIRBAG' light in the cluster illuminates...so I'd have to take it apart like you mentioned and remove the bulb.

    At this point, I hooked the wires back up and left it as it was. Having them unplugged shouldn't mess with the functionality of the srs system, but I didn't want to chance it. I'm still thinking it shouldn't mess with it because that means that if you were to replace your clock, your airbags wouldn't work....sooo, I think I'll have to find some time to remove the clock again, remove the light module (un-solder), and take the bulb out of the cluster. Or, I could just leave it.

    I dunno, we'll see.
    2006 WRX TR - Cobb Stg.1, K&N panel, RSR catback, Cobb short throw, Kartboy bushings, Group-N Tranny mount
    1984 VW Scirocco - Runs on pure money and time, not gas

  7. #6
    Registered User xrayzebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    north of Baltimore
    Posts
    23

    Airbag lites

    Put a piece of electrical tape over it !

    No, really, that was one of my first thoughts when I got my 06 WRX: "What's with this freakin' airbag light!?"

    I was wondering if the best fix might be to find some kinda alternative "pod." I saw somewhere and can't find it now, there was a complete replacement pod with different gauges and stuff. The pod pops out pretty easily, just pry it from one of the back corners and then finesse the front clips out. Once you get the back loose, you can reach inside and use your finger to pop loose the two front tabs that keep it in there.

    I think instead of disabling it, in the short run I'd just pop the light assembly loose and let it dangle inside the dash. Or, maybe use something to tint over it to make it less bright. I WOULD want to know if the airbag was malfunctioning. (I don't know if anybody explained this: the passenger airbag is turned on and off according to if anybody is in the seat... if somebody is sitting there and it is showing OFF, I'd be concerned.)

  8. #7
    Registered User nerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayzebra
    Put a piece of electrical tape over it !

    No, really, that was one of my first thoughts when I got my 06 WRX: "What's with this freakin' airbag light!?"

    I was wondering if the best fix might be to find some kinda alternative "pod." I saw somewhere and can't find it now, there was a complete replacement pod with different gauges and stuff. The pod pops out pretty easily, just pry it from one of the back corners and then finesse the front clips out. Once you get the back loose, you can reach inside and use your finger to pop loose the two front tabs that keep it in there.

    I think instead of disabling it, in the short run I'd just pop the light assembly loose and let it dangle inside the dash. Or, maybe use something to tint over it to make it less bright. I WOULD want to know if the airbag was malfunctioning. (I don't know if anybody explained this: the passenger airbag is turned on and off according to if anybody is in the seat... if somebody is sitting there and it is showing OFF, I'd be concerned.)

    Yeah, I had it all apart last weekend. The problem is that the airbag light is built into the clock assembly. So much so that it is even soldered to the clock's circuit board so the only way that I can see to disable it is to modify the board a bit. Nothing drastic, just remove the light unit and then remove the bulb from the cluster.

    That being said, I probably won't be motivated to do this until spring....or maybe sooner, but I doubt it.
    2006 WRX TR - Cobb Stg.1, K&N panel, RSR catback, Cobb short throw, Kartboy bushings, Group-N Tranny mount
    1984 VW Scirocco - Runs on pure money and time, not gas

  9. #8
    Registered User xrayzebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    north of Baltimore
    Posts
    23

    Airbag lites

    Oh... I didn't look that close when I had mine out... I was looking for a clue on how to get the dash bezel around the stereo loose at the time.

    I think, then, that my original suggestions may be the right approach: electrical tape !

  10. #9
    Registered User nerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayzebra
    Oh... I didn't look that close when I had mine out... I was looking for a clue on how to get the dash bezel around the stereo loose at the time.

    I think, then, that my original suggestions may be the right approach: electrical tape !
    Electrical tape may be the answer. Unfortunately it may also fall off, but if you wrap it up pretty well it should work. I might do this tonight or tomorrow morning. That damn orange light just really annoys me
    2006 WRX TR - Cobb Stg.1, K&N panel, RSR catback, Cobb short throw, Kartboy bushings, Group-N Tranny mount
    1984 VW Scirocco - Runs on pure money and time, not gas

  11. #10
    Registered User xrayzebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    north of Baltimore
    Posts
    23

    lites

    Yeah, it was the first annoying thing I noticed about the WRX. I've got less than 2000 miles on mine, so I'm sure I'll find something else.

    Maybe you should just get some kind of equally annoying "bobblehead" and epoxy it to the dash in front of the light. Maybe a plastic Jesus - the golden backlighting might make him look really awesome at night.

    I was just thinking, put a nice neat little piece of electric tape smack dab on the front of the thing for now.

  12. #11
    Registered User nerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayzebra
    Yeah, it was the first annoying thing I noticed about the WRX. I've got less than 2000 miles on mine, so I'm sure I'll find something else.

    Maybe you should just get some kind of equally annoying "bobblehead" and epoxy it to the dash in front of the light. Maybe a plastic Jesus - the golden backlighting might make him look really awesome at night.

    I was just thinking, put a nice neat little piece of electric tape smack dab on the front of the thing for now.
    LOL, I like the Jesus thing. If only I lived south of the border....

    Anyway, I just took the clock apart and stuck a few layers of electrical tape on the light. Once reinstalled, you'd never know it was in there. Simple fix...although I was hoping for a way that didn't involve taking it apart. But, its all good. Looks much better, especially at night
    2006 WRX TR - Cobb Stg.1, K&N panel, RSR catback, Cobb short throw, Kartboy bushings, Group-N Tranny mount
    1984 VW Scirocco - Runs on pure money and time, not gas

  13. #12
    Registered User xrayzebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    north of Baltimore
    Posts
    23

    lites

    I'm sorry, man, I meant put the tape on the lens... and I was joking... like just stick it right over it, so you'd be seeing this piece of electrical tape over your pod. What you did might be fine, but did you consider if the light generates a lotta heat? The color doesn't look like it's an LED to me, so it might get pretty warm, in which case, the glue on the tape might melt down and get messy... or worse, after a good long while, it might even smoke a little, or even burn?

    But, if you didn't put it right on the bulb, ou might be all right... I'd keep an eye on it

    And, for the record, regardless of the fact that though leds don't generate much heat in the light they radiate - they don't throw much heat - the body of the led sometimes gets pretty hot. Especially the brighter newer ones.

    The pod removal is pretty easy though, eh?

  14. #13
    Registered User nerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayzebra
    I'm sorry, man, I meant put the tape on the lens... and I was joking... like just stick it right over it, so you'd be seeing this piece of electrical tape over your pod. What you did might be fine, but did you consider if the light generates a lotta heat? The color doesn't look like it's an LED to me, so it might get pretty warm, in which case, the glue on the tape might melt down and get messy... or worse, after a good long while, it might even smoke a little, or even burn?

    But, if you didn't put it right on the bulb, ou might be all right... I'd keep an eye on it

    And, for the record, regardless of the fact that though leds don't generate much heat in the light they radiate - they don't throw much heat - the body of the led sometimes gets pretty hot. Especially the brighter newer ones.

    The pod removal is pretty easy though, eh?
    You need to take the thing apart to understand what I'm describing. There is no bulb, but there is an LED enclosed withint a module. The LED is not serviceable. Think of it as a little black box soldered to the board. The LED(s) are inside...Just cover the front of the box with the tape.

    There is no way this board will generate enough heat to cause any issues. Trust me on that.
    2006 WRX TR - Cobb Stg.1, K&N panel, RSR catback, Cobb short throw, Kartboy bushings, Group-N Tranny mount
    1984 VW Scirocco - Runs on pure money and time, not gas

  15. #14
    Registered User xrayzebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    north of Baltimore
    Posts
    23

    cool! ... well, maybe luke warm?

    Great... I was just worried that I inspired you to do something you'd regret. A lot.

    I figured you had more sense than to create a hazard, but then again, I have seen some smart people do some stupid stuff. (I'll include myself in the stupid stuff part... like the time I removed the safety guard off of my table saw, and was on my way to the emergency room 10 minutes later.)

  16. #15
    Registered User nerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    79
    LOL, no need to worrry. I have done some interesting things in the past (especially with my cars), but its still too new for me to go crazy.

    I drove around for a while so far, and I must say, the dash looks so much cleaner. Definitely happy I did this!
    2006 WRX TR - Cobb Stg.1, K&N panel, RSR catback, Cobb short throw, Kartboy bushings, Group-N Tranny mount
    1984 VW Scirocco - Runs on pure money and time, not gas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •