Cheap Interior mod - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cheap Interior mod within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Quack go to an auto parts store. go to the paint section. look for "bumper paint" that ...

sid
    Quote Originally Posted by Quack
    go to an auto parts store.
    go to the paint section.
    look for "bumper paint"
    that looks really nice, I might do this over thanksgiving weekend.
    I've never heard of "bumper paint", how do they match up with the rest of the dash? I have an '02 and my dash seems a little lighter than the pics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sid
    that looks really nice, I might do this over thanksgiving weekend.
    I've never heard of "bumper paint", how do they match up with the rest of the dash? I have an '02 and my dash seems a little lighter than the pics.
    I'm also curious about this. I'd want the paint to match relatively well so it doesn't stand out.
    2005 CGM STi

What company is the paint? How did the grain come out? Can you tell its painted?

not grainy at all, it's not textured paint like rhino-liner or under-coating.

it'll only come out as well as you can prep & paint. no it doesn't look painted at all, it looks like matte black plastic.

thx turbobxer hard work and lots of time my shift knob is 100% smaller than the momo or kartboy or whatever, imagine putting a white golf ball thats 200% lighter and doesn't get hot or cold, thats my shift knob lol

the paint company that we used is duplicolor, its a 'bumper coating' so its strong, and its the black color..

the purpose of the paint was to match the s203 interior and not really to match, but it does match quite well to other black plastic trim pieces..

my 05 doesn't have auto-climate bs because i'm a slow 2.5rs i sometimes wish i had the auto hvac nissan controls that the wrx/sti have..

personally i think the can helps it, it releases the other crap in the can that gives it more of a dull look that you want, if it's too shiney it'll look painted, thats what you don't want, even then you could take a bunch of time and match exactly the paint for the purpose.. lucky.

to get the side vents out, you cover a flathead with a towel or something or just go metal bare into the left side and pry around, there's a clip that needs to be pushed in on both sides to get it out, it takes some time and becareful not to break them..
    Dave
    '05 Aspen White Impreza 2.5RS Pro

I think I might attempt to paint mine this weekend. A while back I bought a spare trim set off eBay for pretty cheap. So I'll paint that.
    2005 CGM STi

Quote Originally Posted by DJSHADOW7
    Don't all 05's have auto climate control?
    its a RS. the RS does not have Auto CC.

I went out and picked up the paint today, the first layer of the cup holder is drying now, how do you take the lower bezel out and the vent bezels?

As i'm painting I'm getting a couple of spots that are beign stubbron and refuse to paint. was I supposed to sand them down or something?

Alright the spots went away as I dusted them more and more with paint, I got some grain but it came out really smooth. Any ideas about polishing?

Finished, it came out really well short of a small fiasco with paint and water that required paint stripping. I used Krylon Interior/Exterior Semi-Flat black spray.

sid
    Quote Originally Posted by njskatchmo
    Finished, it came out really well short of a small fiasco with paint and water that required paint stripping. I used Krylon Interior/Exterior Semi-Flat black spray.
    so did you use the bumper paint or Krylon? post some pics

I used the krylon. I'll post pics soon I have to get my friends camera.

Here are the pictures, The flash made the paint look a little splotchy, But I'n real Life it's smooth. The flash also made the paint a ltitle blue/grey ish. IRL it is a plasticy black that matches well with the interior. It's not as dark as the original posters but it suits the vinyl really well.

Posted them on Car Domain

looks good!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast