Gauge range?

This is a discussion on Gauge range? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am planning on installing some gauges in my 06 so I can have a piece of mind when I ...

Gauge range?

I am planning on installing some gauges in my 06 so I can have a piece of mind when I install Cobb stage 2 during spring. I am going to install a boost, oil pressure, and EGT gauge. I will probobally go with autometer sport-comp gauges because I have used them in the past and liked them, and they are affordable. My question is about the oil pressure and EGT gauges. The sport comp oil pressure gauge only comes in a psi range of 0-100 (I think that is plenty but I just wanted to make sure). My real problem lies with the EGT gauge. The sport comp EGT measures from 0-1600 degrees farenheit. I can't seem to find this gauge available to 2000 degrees. I was wondering if a 1600 degree max is too low. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm quite curious about the same thing. I'm sure the oil pressure gauge will be just fine, as they pretty much only sell one range. I had an EGT gauge in my old NA car, and it would often get as high as 12-14 when I was really pushing on it. My understanding is that's fairly high...but I'm quite curious if a boosted engine will run hotter. Seems like it would.

I'm going to be ordering the Autometer Nexus gauges (same 3 as you)...so I guess if you wait a month or so, I can tell you.
    Black 2006 WRX Sedan

Snorkus-deleted with K&N drop-in
    Defi-Link Boost, EGT, Oil Temp - Gruppe-S CF dash pod
    TurboXS Turbo-back
    That's it so far!

check out omori gauges, do not want to give you bad info . I have them in my car and think they go to 2200f
    Keep the pointy end forward

When the oil is cold in my 04 the Omori oil pressure gage I have will read around a 100 when the car comes up to operating temp it will read about 85 at a steady highway cruise. WOT in 3rd through 5th will run about 1550F for me and when the speed climbs above 115~120 it will push 1600F so I think a gage that only reads 1600F max is too low. FYI all the gages I have are the Omori Meter gages and I also run the COBB Stg2 map.

I was originally going with autometer because the omori or defi gauges are pricey. Autometer does make a egt gauge that reads higher but it is not the sport comp, it is the nexus series which is almost as pricey as the omori or defi gauges. Maybe I will just save a bit more and go with the nicer gauges. Would an A/F gauge do basically the same thing as the egt gauge. The pretty much both measure rich or lean conditions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

In some ways, an EGT gauge will do the same thing as an A/F gauge...but there's a couple of things to consider...

- An EGT gauge will read high when you're lean...and it will read high when you're rich and there's fuel burning in the exhaust system
    - The A/F gauges you're thinking of from Autometer are designed for narrow band O2 sensors, and they aren't very accurate at all (not suitable for tuning)
    - Althought the factory O2 sensor IS a wideband, it's been stated several places that it is not suitable for engine tuning.

I am by no means a professional tuner. I've been doing my homework for awhile now, and these "facts" are based on reading, not experience...If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Autometer does make "cheap" 2000 degree EGT gauges...
    http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...id=3290&sid=11
    http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...gid=3282&sid=4
    http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...gid=3301&sid=7

I had the ultra-lite gauges in my old car and they're quite nice looking....they don't, however, match the impreza interior.
    Black 2006 WRX Sedan

Snorkus-deleted with K&N drop-in
    Defi-Link Boost, EGT, Oil Temp - Gruppe-S CF dash pod
    TurboXS Turbo-back
    That's it so far!

Thanks for clearing that up. I was slightly confused about the A/F gauges. I am also looking at stewart warner gauges but the only thing that sucks is that I don't believe they come with the sending units. They have to be bought seperately. The autometer gauges I am thinking of match the interior of the car. I am thinking of the sport-comp gauge series.