06 aftermarket deck wiring kit
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 06 aftermarket deck wiring kit within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone know if the wiring harness adapter kit from an 05 will work on my 06? The guy at ...

06 aftermarket deck wiring kit

Does anyone know if the wiring harness adapter kit from an 05 will work on my 06? The guy at Best Buy was a tool, and Crutchfield said they haven't had a chance to research the car since its so new. At any rate, I'd like to put my deck in this weekend, but I need to know what harness I need. Also, will I need a special antenna adapter?

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have to think that they haven't changed the stereo harness style because Subaru hasn't changed much on the stereo harness in several years but who knows. I didn't even think to take pictures during my installation, although that would help answer a ton of questions that people have about stereo installations. If you have pictures of the back of your 2006 head unit, many of us here can probably tell you if it's the same or not.

The type of harness that I used for my 2005 is the Metra "Smart Cable" or "Turbo Wire" gsxl line. The part number for the Subaru to Universal half of the adapter harness is 80-8901. Here's a link to Circuit City's page for this part: Click here. The price is $18.99, which seems high, but when you figure that it saves all of the wire stripping, splicing, soldering or crimping, and taping or shrink-wrapping, I think it's totally worth the price for a clean and quick installation.

The other half of the adapter harness is for whatever head unit you have (mine is Pioneer Premier) to Universal. Circuit City will have those adapters as well.

You will not need an antenna adapter because the Subaru antenna is the standard style.

If you are upgrading your speakers also, this adapter should work for the speaker wiring in the doors: Click here. I bought this style Best Buy for $6.49 per pair, but I have yet to use them so I'm not 100% sure on their compatibility.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    I have to think that they haven't changed the stereo harness style because Subaru hasn't changed much on the stereo harness in several years but who knows. I didn't even think to take pictures during my installation, although that would help answer a ton of questions that people have about stereo installations. If you have pictures of the back of your 2006 head unit, many of us here can probably tell you if it's the same or not.

The type of harness that I used for my 2005 is the Metra "Smart Cable" or "Turbo Wire" gsxl line. The part number for the Subaru to Universal half of the adapter harness is 80-8901. Here's a link to Circuit City's page for this part: Click here. The price is $18.99, which seems high, but when you figure that it saves all of the wire stripping, splicing, soldering or crimping, and taping or shrink-wrapping, I think it's totally worth the price for a clean and quick installation.

The other half of the adapter harness is for whatever head unit you have (mine is Pioneer Premier) to Universal. Circuit City will have those adapters as well.

You will not need an antenna adapter because the Subaru antenna is the standard style.

If you are upgrading your speakers also, this adapter should work for the speaker wiring in the doors: Click here. I bought this style Best Buy for $6.49 per pair, but I have yet to use them so I'm not 100% sure on their compatibility.

Thanks for the link. I've never seen a wiring kit that was specific to a head unit like that. If I'm understanding you correctly, that is pretty cool. I have a Kenwood Excelon deck, but I dont know if Metra makes a plug to fit the Kenwood deck as well. I guess I could always buy the harness and cut the one side off...

I haven't had the deck out yet to compare, I kinda wanted to have the harness and then take the deck out and swap. I was hoping that Subaru wouldn't have changed this sort of thing for 06, but I wasn't sure.

Metra almost certainly makes the Smart cable for the Kenwood head unit. If you do have to go the splicing route, you can get a pigtail adapter that only has the Kenwood plug on one end and loose wires on the other. Just go to Circuit City (or try searching their site) for the wiring harnesses.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    Metra almost certainly makes the Smart cable for the Kenwood head unit. If you do have to go the splicing route, you can get a pigtail adapter that only has the Kenwood plug on one end and loose wires on the other. Just go to Circuit City (or try searching their site) for the wiring harnesses.
    Well, I already have the Kenwood harness...I'd just need the subaru end of the deal. I'm going to stop by Circuit City tomorrow, hopefully.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.