Aftermarket HU Can't Power Stock Antenna
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Aftermarket HU Can't Power Stock Antenna within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I purchased a new aftermarket Kenwood head unit for my 2004 WRX. After it was installed, the am/fm signal went ...

Aftermarket HU Can't Power Stock Antenna

I purchased a new aftermarket Kenwood head unit for my 2004 WRX. After it was installed, the am/fm signal went to crap. After some troubleshooting, the installer tech said that he thought maybe the factory Subaru head unit had some special power rating (which was @ 75ohms on the factory head unit) that made the antenna work better. He said that "no" aftermarket head unit would get the clean am/fm signal that the factory head unit was able to give. Is this true? So there is no way to have a good sounding radio signal with an aftermarked head unit and the stock antenna?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The stock 04 05 antenna is powered. There is a whit wire on the wiring harness that needs to be connected to the blue antenna turn on lead on the aftermarket HU. You can also connect this wire to any swithed 12V source if your HU doesn't have a power antenna lead.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749402
    Last edited by lathanm; 11-04-2005 at 03:46 PM.

My Pioneer Premier DEH-P550MP powers gets the same reception as the stock head unit did. I believe the blue wire that is typically used for power antenna control is the wire that controls the antenna amplifier at the rear of the vehicle.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Ya, who ever told you no aftermarket units will have good reception in the impreza was an idiot. If you connect the power antenna lead from the head unit harnedd to the subaru harness it will work fine. I just installed a Pioneer 860mp and forgot to connect that wire. It had poor reception. But once I connected it I have way better reception then the stock unit had.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    That's because Pioneer Radio's have a Super Tuner 3D...meaning it's a third gen tuner, with an analog to digital converter...resulting in better sounding radio. Furthermore, the analog signal, after being converted to a digital signal is processed within the unit for better clarity, filtering out distortion. If you're crazy about AM, you should ground the antenna wire (not the trigger wire, but actual antenna) to the chasis of the car. Make sure that the panel you're attaching the wire to is steel, not aluminum.

Please tell me that the guy that told you that complete non-sense didn't work at Circuit City...I'd have to have a chat with him...
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.