Strage noise from steering wheel. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Strage noise from steering wheel. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; thanks ill try that after i get my car back. (put it in grandmothers garage for mischief night)...

thanks ill try that after i get my car back. (put it in grandmothers garage for mischief night)
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For me and others the noise was coming from the cruise control main switch.

Cruise Control Buzz DIY Fix

cruise control thingy

Chipmunk Interior Noise
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

I started getting a clicking noise from the right side when taking certain turns at certain speeds. This morning I crawled under the car and found a blown CV boot.

just look under there...you can't miss it. looks like a can of grease exploded near the wheel well.

the right side goes more often than the left because of extra heat from the turbo.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

constant clicking noise when turning is obvious CV joint but the sounds that some of us are getting is just one click/rattle type of thing that happens when you go over bump while turning. It's as if something was lose there.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac
    constant clicking noise when turning is obvious CV joint but the sounds that some of us are getting is just one click/rattle type of thing that happens when you go over bump while turning. It's as if something was lose there.
    mine wasn't constant...only did it about 3 times...and I couldn't get the noise to come back....it was just something about turning a particular way at a particular speed.

the other thing I had make noise is the bracket on my downpipe...the one under the car that just stabilizes the DP, broke. this caused the DP to rattle against it. I just had it welded back together and the noise went away.
    go f*** yourself

well the nosie is still there whenever im driving. it is coming directly from the steering wheel and i think that i will take it in to see what the subaru people think of it.
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

let us know what they come up with!
    Dave
    01 RS

I got the same problem, knocking noise while making a turn, and when going over pump, problem only occur on lelf front. It is not a constant clicking (ofcourse that would be a broken CV), this is a knocking noise only a couple at the turn or raise of a wheel. I check the lug nuts and A arm, everything seem fine, I shock the steering wheel and discovered that the steering rod is making the racket. From looking at it, it seem to be is good shape, I gave it a shook and relized that the knock was coming from the joint where the rod is insert into the steering box. I don't know how to solve the problem....any ideas, it seem to be a common problem, but no solution.

when my CV boot blew, the clicking noise was NOT constant. It only did it on left turns at certain speeds only. You may have a CV boot in the early stages of going. Crawl under there and have a look....look for splattered grease. its better to get that taken care of as early as possible or you may end up needing a new axle. while i was getting mine done, there was another guy there with the same problem..an he put it off until the noise was constant....he ended up needing the whole axle replaced. a cv boot IS covered under both the SOA warranty and the extended one.
    go f*** yourself

so where am i looking for splattered grease?
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

you'll see some in the wheel well...on passanger's side (that's the one I blew), you'll see grease all over the lower part of the downpipe, lower turbo oil line, power steering lines, water pump, oil pump....it'll just be a mess under there. it just looks like a grease bomb exploded under there.
    go f*** yourself

taco bell gives me grease bombs.

I've seen the effects of a torn CV boot. yeah it's nasty. But is this problem a continuous clicking or an intermittent clunk? (I can't remember now that my STi has recently been stolen.) but I remember more of a distinctive clunk.
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by Just Be
    My cruise control button used to make noise.
    +1
    ALL VERSION MOTORING
    ORLANDO,FL
    407-228-8282

Anyone ever solved this... it seems I now have the same issue. The only thing that I makes noise when I have the wheel off is the tie rod. When I twist the tire rod back and forth with my hand I hear a metal to metal clunk, and grease started comming out from the top of the sleve. I am thinking that my tire rod is shot but its the same on both sides of the car, however I only hear the noise from the right side. I also can't make the noise when trying to move the tire rod up and down only twisting it makes noise. Anyone would agree with me that I need to change out my tire rods or is it that the front strut is blown? or ball joint?
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12