Thinking of getting the Kenwood DDX7017 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Thinking of getting the Kenwood DDX7017 within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by BlueCamel what sound system do you have hooked up to it Found your post on other thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCamel
    what sound system do you have hooked up to it

Found your post on other thread

i just installed my system yesterday. i would recommend you to not install 6x9 get some components you will get better quality (not as laud as a 6x9 tho.).

i got some kenwood components on front and some eXcelon on the rear dors; my nex step is to get one kicker L7 and and respective amplifiers (and one for the rear and front speakers).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCamel
    Found your post on other thread

i just installed my system yesterday. i would recommend you to not install 6x9 get some components you will get better quality (not as laud as a 6x9 tho.).

i got some kenwood components on front and some eXcelon on the rear dors; my nex step is to get one kicker L7 and and respective amplifiers (and one for the rear and front speakers).
    yeap thats me .... i still thinking about the 2 Kicker L7s .. they are going to eat my trunk

yah they will, but hey gona get mad sound and bass in there

Kenwood 7015 and speaker sizes

For those of you that installed component speakers, what size speakers and what adjustments were necessary (if any). I have an '05 WRX with the Kenwood 7015 (hooked up to a photo ipod w/ the aux video input), 2 12'' Sony Subs, and the Kenwood KAC-X811D Amp. It's high time I upgrade the front and rear speakers. What would you all suggest? I don't want to have to get into too much custom work in order to make the aftermarket speakers fit.

Kenwood DDX 7017/7015

When listening to my 7015 for an extended period of time at high volumes I have noticed that as the unit heats up the sound gets more and more distorted. I have never had this happen with an aftermarket HU before. Has anyone else experience this problem? I guess a 4-channel amp to power some new front and back speakers would solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ozjonesjr
    For those of you that installed component speakers, what size speakers and what adjustments were necessary (if any). I have an '05 WRX with the Kenwood 7015 (hooked up to a photo ipod w/ the aux video input), 2 12'' Sony Subs, and the Kenwood KAC-X811D Amp. It's high time I upgrade the front and rear speakers. What would you all suggest? I don't want to have to get into too much custom work in order to make the aftermarket speakers fit.
    the same size that the car has from factory. you wont be able to completly close the dor pannel tho

trying to help

When listening to my 7015 for an extended period of time at high volumes I have noticed that as the unit heats up the sound gets more and more distorted. I have never had this happen with an aftermarket HU before. Has anyone else experience this problem? I guess a 4-channel amp to power some new front and back speakers would solve the problem.
    -I guess a 4 or 5 channel amp in the 500-700 power range is what you will need to power all. Check out Hifonics, nice relatively inexpensive clean amps.

-Do some research for door spacers. the 5.25"(?) are ome size but spacers will let you install 6.5 components without problems. But just research what size spacer is needed for the speaker you decide on. Some have large magnets and realy do not work well in the wrx doors. Focals are hard (maybe impossible) to install. the mb Q's were fine. IMO, focal and dynaudio are tops in components. They just give more range than my mb Q's, but add a sub and it evens out.
    -id love to add my ipod to my hu and need to make that a priority. Taking out the cartridge from the music keg, hooking up the hardware to the pc and downloading is easy but im lazy and usualy keep my ipod alot more updated than my music keg. But i find the music keg to have better quality sound.
    - Have you tryed to view pictures thru the Hu from the ipod. I also have the hp-photo ipod 30g and have picturs on it and just thought it would be cool to view a slidshow while listening to music. .
    I'm gonna be mad if it turns out to be TWill in a wig..
    www.xoticmotorsports.com
    www.guysracing.org

Quote Originally Posted by orvtech
    . you wont be able to completly close the dor pannel tho
    ^ not true. the door panels close fine.
    www.xoticmotorsports.com
    www.guysracing.org

Quote Originally Posted by rpfride
    -I guess a 4 or 5 channel amp in the 500-700 power range is what you will need to power all. Check out Hifonics, nice relatively inexpensive clean amps.

-Do some research for door spacers. the 5.25"(?) are ome size but spacers will let you install 6.5 components without problems. But just research what size spacer is needed for the speaker you decide on. Some have large magnets and realy do not work well in the wrx doors. Focals are hard (maybe impossible) to install. the mb Q's were fine. IMO, focal and dynaudio are tops in components. They just give more range than my mb Q's, but add a sub and it evens out.
    -id love to add my ipod to my hu and need to make that a priority. Taking out the cartridge from the music keg, hooking up the hardware to the pc and downloading is easy but im lazy and usualy keep my ipod alot more updated than my music keg. But i find the music keg to have better quality sound.
    - Have you tryed to view pictures thru the Hu from the ipod. I also have the hp-photo ipod 30g and have picturs on it and just thought it would be cool to view a slidshow while listening to music. .
    the problem isnot gona be solved by spacers. the "grill" that is covering the speackers is bonded to the door pannel.

Using Ipod photo

Ya I have the A/V cord going into the Aux. in on the back of the HU. It shows the pictures from my iPod just great. It is pretty cool to have the pictures going while music is playing. I am for sure going to get the new video iPod (since the connection is the same I can just use my existing A/V cable) and use it to watch movies and musis videos. It's like it was made for mobile video systems. I can't wait.

So I am still a bit confused about speaker size. It sounds like if I get spacers then I could get 6.5'' components to work (in the front). But wouldn't I have to make some kind of new grill cover since the ones on the door would hit the speaker and not allow the door cover to be put back into place? Is it worth the hassle or should I just stick to the factory sizes? Is there a huge sound difference?

Ya I have the A/V cord going into the Aux. in on the back of the HU. It shows the pictures from my iPod just great. It is pretty cool to have the pictures going while music is playing. I am for sure going to get the new video iPod (since the connection is the same I can just use my existing A/V cable) and use it to watch movies and musis videos. It's like it was made for mobile video systems. I can't wait.

So I am still a bit confused about speaker size. It sounds like if I get spacers then I could get 6.5'' components to work (in the front). But wouldn't I have to make some kind of new grill cover since the ones on the door would hit the speaker and not allow the door cover to be put back into place? Is it worth the hassle or should I just stick to the factory sizes? Is there a huge sound difference?
    Well, i can tell you that my 6.5" do NOT hit the grill and the pannel is just fine. I dont think people cut the factory door panel and i have not experienced anyone who needed to cut the grill to make the speakers fit.
    I HAVE GOT to get the av cable hooked up!! And i will also be getting the video ipod when released. Thanks for the information.
    They should make a HU that can record video. Get a camera connected and start recording via youre HU. DVD or VCD or hard drive would be nice.
    www.xoticmotorsports.com
    www.guysracing.org

04/05 difference?

Thanks for the info on your 6.5'' speakers. Is there any difference in the '04 vs. '05 models that you know of as far as the space for the speakers is concerned? Go get that AV cable connected. It takes about 5 min. to unscrew the HU and plug in the cable. I just ran the wire underneath the clutch case and had it pop out at the cupholders. The video ipods are out so there's nothin to hold you back!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.