Having trouble getting A/F gauge to work...

This is a discussion on Having trouble getting A/F gauge to work... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know this should be simple but it's giving me some trouble. First, i have an autometer sportcomp digital a/f ...

Having trouble getting A/F gauge to work...

I know this should be simple but it's giving me some trouble. First, i have an autometer sportcomp digital a/f gauge. There are three wires, red - 12v ignition, black - good engine ground, and purple - signal wire. I have an 05 WRX. I hooked the red wire to the ignition wire from the clock wires, the ground to the ground on the clock wires, and the purple wire to the #17 on B135, where it's supposed to go according to the ECU pinout pages I found.

The problem is that it is getting power because the green light farthest on the rich side lights up but that's all, no other ones and it doesn't change. (My car is basically stock and I know it cant be running THAT rich.) I tried it without the signal wire too and it did this same thing so that leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the way I hooked up the signal.

All I did was strip a little off of #17 on B135 (The only connector with 10 pins across. I think it was a white wire with a black stripe. It was in the middle row of the connector, third one in from the left.) and splice in the wire with a little bit of solder. (Which probably voided a lot of my warranty right?)

Would this be the correct way to install it? Do I have to program it somehow or anything? If this is all correct, I guess I will just recheck all the wires.

Also, I know a narrow band a/f sensor is not the best way to go but for the time being it will serve my purpose so please dont tell me to get a wideband.
    Last edited by maxpower_454; 10-24-2005 at 11:18 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sounds like it's power issue... maybe try tapping the 12V and gound to somwhere else and see if it dose the same... if it does then ur gauge maybe be screwed... if it doesn't then it the power from the clock probally not providing enough juice... maybe if u have a multimeter test it and see if the AF meter is getting 12V from the clock tap...

I don't know alot about these cars electrically but it seems that you may tapped the wrong wire. I am guessing that the wire you tapped is a constant on and not a signal wire. A good way to test would be to possibly connect the signal wire to a 12v source and see if it reads the same. Otherwise get a signal from the 02 sensor somewhat closer to the so you know that you have the right wire. Someone may know better but if I remember right the higher the voltage the richer the mixture so it would seem like you are getting your signal from a constant 12v source and not an actual signal.

If I am wrong the oppisite might be true as well. You may have tapped a ground wire and it might be reading no signal. Like I said someone with a better knowledge might be able to tell you for sure.

My advice.... Get a multimeter and test what is coming out of the wire that you think is signal.

Ok, I just tested the 'signal' with a multimeter and it was a constant ~1.6V so obviously that's not the right wire that I tapped....The only reason I could think of for this is that maybe I had the connector upsidedown when I was looking at it.....I guess Ill tinker with it more this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower_454
    Ok, I just tested the 'signal' with a multimeter and it was a constant ~1.6V so obviously that's not the right wire that I tapped....The only reason I could think of for this is that maybe I had the connector upsidedown when I was looking at it.....I guess Ill tinker with it more this weekend.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ok, I thought about this a little more and it still doesn't make sense. Right now the signal wire from the gauge is not connected to anything and the display still has the led farthest to the rich side lit up....According to the autometer installatio n instructions, one would think that none would be lit up since there is 0 voltage going in the signal wire.

Any ideas?? I thought about hooking up a power supply to the signal wire and sending a known voltage into it but didnt get around to it yet. (Maybe today after work)

Does anyone have this gauge that can help me?

i'm not saying ur dumb but things like this might happen... could u have mixed the signal wire with the power source wire on the meter? so maybe ur tapping the signal wire from the meter to a power source thus making the meter shown all the way to rich... or maybe the wires were labled incorrectly from factory?

I know what you're saying I've done stupid stuff like that before but I checked the wires even before I posted on here. Actually I hooked the gauge uyp to a DC power supply yesterday and the gauge worked fine. low voltage (<0.3V) - Lean, up to 1V - Rich. I guess that means I tapped the wrong wire on the ECU

Got it to work....accidentally hooked to wrong wire....my bad. Thanks for all the help tho