what navi's do you guys have/recommend?

This is a discussion on what navi's do you guys have/recommend? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; im thinking of getting the Magellan Roadmate 760. Retail is 1200, but on ebay it goes for 700-900. hopefully it ...

what navi's do you guys have/recommend?

im thinking of getting the Magellan Roadmate 760. Retail is 1200, but on ebay it goes for 700-900. hopefully it will get cheaper since it already has in the last 2 months. what do you guys have? thanks. post pics if you can, greatly appreciate it.
    chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

navigation is dumb, i rather use regular map or atlas when i go out of town/state and for local findings i use mapquest
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

I have an Eclipse AVN-5495 w/ 30GB hd.

Its a HD based Nav vs. DVD.

It has 20GB of storage for music too (Music Juke)

6.5" screen

Double Din

Super Nice unit.

Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac
    navigation is dumb, i rather use regular map or atlas when i go out of town/state and for local findings i use mapquest
    mapquest stinks,gave me wrong directions, and i was tired of having books and atlases in my car so thats y im askin. i cant afford any of those pop out ones either. right now im just researching and in the long run i wanna get something.
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Saabaru_92x
    I have an Eclipse AVN-5495 w/ 30GB hd.

Its a HD based Nav vs. DVD.

It has 20GB of storage for music too (Music Juke)

6.5" screen

Double Din

Super Nice unit.
    i have the same thing and how do you store music i it?
    Yea tru love we can find ourselves
    I call our true identies
    Love ya brudda love ya sista
    Love everyone...the univeral sign
    Ill take it from here

My cousin lent me his Navman Portable GPS system for a trip and I really liked it. Very easy to use and according to him, it was reasonably priced (around 300)

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Kenwood Navigation works great. That's what I have in my car. It works flawlessly.

This is/will be the sh_t ... especially if you have a laptop.

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/Pro...s.aspx?pid=001
    Microsoft just came out with this. I mean, they've had "MS Streets&Trips" for some time now. (I have the 2004 release), but there is a new version (2006) that can be purchased with the "gps locator" (basically a GPS receiver that plugs into your laptop).

Here's my sell --> A useable nav. unit will cost well over a grand. And yeah, it looks kind of cool, is pretty easy to use, whatever. But your not getting a lot for that money, are you?

So, I say, if you already have a laptop great, if not, drop $500.00 on an entry level Dell. Find a spot for it in your car (passy seat, floor, wherever), drop $109.00 on MS Streets&Trips (Sams Club is selling it for that), and there you go. It has turn by turn directions, night view map, voice prompts, etc.
    AND
    You can plug your laptop into your head unit and have access to tons of MP3s, MPGs, etc.

This is the route I am going to take. I have a banged up ThinkPad that should do. It's a piece of sh_t and I dont care if it gets stolen, stepped on, etc.

I was even thinking of dropping $100 bucks on a 7" LCD vga, and mounting on the dash, with the laptop hidden under the seat.

This whole deal is minimum $, maximum features, and very little headache.

My buddy has the wrx wagon, he has a nav. unit on the dash, not only is it huge, but there is such a learning curve with the buttons/features/touch-screen.
    I say, F that. Use the laptop. Streets & Trips is killer easy to use.

If i go this route, i will post results/pictures/etc. (unless the ThinkPad revolts and sends me into the Atlantic).

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/Pro...s.aspx?pid=001
    -Blue Ru <Suba>

I've heard these things advertised over the last week two...

"TomTom"
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...091&pfp=SEARCH

Again (as I said in my mega-post), these things look clunky, and do only 1 thing.
    -Blue Ru <Suba>

Speaking from experience, the laptop + GPS route isn't all it's cracked up to be. The GPS works great, and the software does present a nice interface, but the readability in daytime is quite poor. The backlight in all of the laptops I've tried just doesn't compete with Mr Sun. It gets washed out, so you can't actually see what's on the screen without taking your eyes off the road and hunkering down over the laptop. Not a great situation, if you ask me.

If they had a "rally co-driver" pace notes mode, I'd probably be more excited about the voice announcer. But, the ones I've played with leave something to be desired for my style of driving...

I've had some bad directions from Mapquest, as well. We used Mapquest to give directions to about 30 people for a conference, and we noticed (too late) that it put you a mile down the road, the wrong way. That's not the only time it's screwed up for me, but that was certainly the worst I've seen.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

I have the Pioneer AVIc-N1 in my 03 and it is great. Used this past spring on trip from Montreal to Myrtle Beach and it took me right to the hotel door. Along the way I was able to find restaurants, hotels etc very easily. It has a small remote that you can mount on your steering wheel and aslo works by voice commands. Of course it is also a great head unit with cd, dvd, mp3' etc. I also have the optional Ipod unit so I can control and listen to all the music on it. Great unit.
    Mods: VF34,TMIC, Up pipe, Dp, full catless, Ecutek, Stoptec brakes, DMS 40 coil overs, ALK, CUSCO subframe, Sparco seats, Exedy twin plate and more that I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by dielectric
    Speaking from experience, the laptop + GPS route isn't all it's cracked up to be. The GPS works great, and the software does present a nice interface, but the readability in daytime is quite poor. The backlight in all of the laptops I've tried just doesn't compete with Mr Sun. It gets washed out, so you can't actually see what's on the screen without taking your eyes off the road and hunkering down over the laptop. Not a great situation, if you ask me.

If they had a "rally co-driver" pace notes mode, I'd probably be more excited about the voice announcer. But, the ones I've played with leave something to be desired for my style of driving...

I've had some bad directions from Mapquest, as well. We used Mapquest to give directions to about 30 people for a conference, and we noticed (too late) that it put you a mile down the road, the wrong way. That's not the only time it's screwed up for me, but that was certainly the worst I've seen.
    You make a good point about the sun glare. Maybe an adapted (from PC) glare screen would work, I dunno.
    -Blue Ru <Suba>

Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac
    What a stupid @$%!%!# comment! Electronic automatic navigation is dumb? Duhh lets use a map instead that takes more effort... Yeah thats smart....
    408 Whp / 398 ftlbs, Custom GT30R,Grupe-S non-equ headers,PE850's, Injen TBE, TurboSmart BOV, Hotchkis Anti Sways, DC Sports Titanium Strut Bars, Perrin FMIC, Cobb AP Stage II / Streetuner,Cusco Zero 2E's, goodridge brake lines, 5Zigen 18x8.5 GN+ rims, P-Zero 245x40-18's

I have a Garmin Quest. I think it works very well. The only downside was memory space. I was on a trip from SE WI to PA and had just enough memory for it. Now they have a Quest 2 out. It has the whole country mapping in it. Works well in day light and darkens the background at night for less brightness. Very versitle and compact. They have mounts for bicycle and motorcycle. The car plug has a speaker so it will call out turns and other information. It's about $600.
    Fat, bald, and lazy. What more could a girl want?

People are bastard covered bastards with bastard centers.