A-Pillar Boost Gauge Install

This is a discussion on A-Pillar Boost Gauge Install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, I bought my WRX this spring when I graduated college and now have the time and $ to ...

A-Pillar Boost Gauge Install

Hi everyone, I bought my WRX this spring when I graduated college and now have the time and $ to do a few little things to it.

Ive been reading this forum for months and love it. I cant believe the cult following the car has its very cool.

Anyway I just hooked up my boost gauge (cheap VDO) and want to install the autometer a-pillar. My question is how does the old a-pillar come out Any help would be great.

'02 Blue WRX Sedan
    Silencer removed
    Homemade cold air incuction
    K&N pannel filter
    3/16" Fitting
    If more is better, too much is perfect.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: A-Pillar Boost Gauge Install

Originally posted by skiingrex
    Hi everyone, I bought my WRX this spring when I graduated college and now have the time and $ to do a few little things to it.

Ive been reading this forum for months and love it. I cant believe the cult following the car has its very cool.

Anyway I just hooked up my boost gauge (cheap VDO) and want to install the autometer a-pillar. My question is how does the old a-pillar come out Any help would be great.

'02 Blue WRX Sedan
    Silencer removed
    Homemade cold air incuction
    K&N pannel filter
    3/16" Fitting
    hey welcome aboard man! this place is great and i think u'll like it. now to business. there are many ways to install the a-pillar pod. u can attach it to the old one, take out the old one and use just the pod with some custom work, like i did, or u could chop half the pillar so the top snaps in and the bottom goes into the groove. it's really what you want to do. I know my i have double sided sticky tape but cold weather and sticky tape dont go well so i'll be drilling it into the metal bracket thats already there. To take off the old one just simply pull off. There are 3 snaps and it just comes off. i hope i answered what u wanted
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Thanks for the tip SpeedRacer. I just didn't pull hard enough the first time.

I did like you and just put the autometer pillar in and left the stock one out. I drilled 2 holes in that small metal bracket to mount it and its holding solid.

Fits pretty well, not perfect, espically against the windshield it sticks out and covers the black border of the windshield but its not very noticable. Now I need another gauge or something cool to fill the spare gauge hole.
    If more is better, too much is perfect.

Thanks for the tip SpeedRacer. I just didn't pull hard enough the first time.

I did like you and just put the autometer pillar in and left the stock one out. I drilled 2 holes in that small metal bracket to mount it and its holding solid.

Fits pretty well, not perfect, espically against the windshield it sticks out and covers the black border of the windshield but its not very noticable. Now I need another gauge or something cool to fill the spare gauge hole.
    may i recomend a shift light? the one i have fits in there i just had to take out the metal bracket and file the bottom cirlce of the pillar to get it in then screwed it in tight from the bottom
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Re: A-Pillar Boost Gauge Install

I wouldnt call VDO cheap, i even prefer that over autometer...
    VDO's been around much longer, heck they make gauges for cars like PORSCHE.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

SpeedRacer, I was thinking of doing a shift light like you described and didn't think it was possible. Do you have pics or info of where to get something like that?
    It's not a damn beanbag!

Originally posted by WR Xilr8
    SpeedRacer, I was thinking of doing a shift light like you described and didn't think it was possible. Do you have pics or info of where to get something like that?
    i can fabricate anything hahah!! it wasn't hard at all..PM me and i'll toss ur email in there and i'll get u some pics and the best how to. what shift light do you want to use
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

A PILLAR INSTALLED

my A- piller screws on to the factory

but to remove the factory one you have to pull 3 clips that hold it in...

looks great if u want i'll sent u a pic
    Last edited by 20wrx02; 12-13-2005 at 08:40 PM.

dont know if you wanna do it this way, but i just fit it over the stock a pillar and then screwed three screws in the top, it holds great.
    anyhow, speedracer. i sent you an email. i just got my autometer pro shift lite, like yours. i need help on where to run the green wire, ground and 12v power.
    i think i have a good ground, but my normal 12v spot is taxed alot already.
    thanks in advance. just email me back.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo