VDO Oil Temp Gauge - Mounting Help

This is a discussion on VDO Oil Temp Gauge - Mounting Help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Right now I'm getting ready to install an VDO oil temp gauge but I've run into a snag and could ...

VDO Oil Temp Gauge - Mounting Help

Right now I'm getting ready to install an VDO oil temp gauge but I've run into a snag and could use some advice. I bought the gauge and a temp sender off summittracing and a pre-drilled oil drain plug off of wrxtra.com.

I bought the temp sender because the description on the site said the gauge came with mounting hardware and accessories but not the sender. It's a threaded sender and it fits the plug perfectly.

I just got the gauge yesterday and it turns out that the gauge, sender, and signal line are all basically one piece. The line is basically welded to the gauge/sender and there doesn't look like a way I can de-couple the current sender without cutting it.

The current sender isn't threaded, but there is a nut behind it that's way too big for the drain plug from wrxtra. The gauge came with a bunch of adapters but it doesn't look like any of them match the drain plug thread so no dice there.

Can I just cut the current sender off and attach the line to the sender that fits the drain plug? From what I can see, the sender line is just copper with a steel mesh around it.

I'm a little worried about cutting the current sender off since it's all one piece right now and I have no idea what the proper method for attaching the line to the threaded sender would be. Help and ideas are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0019.jpg   IMG_0022.jpg  
    Last edited by koji; 09-24-2005 at 05:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here's a pic of my gauge setup, just waiting for the oil temp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0016.jpg   IMG_0017.jpg  

bump for help...

Maybe take it to a shop? I need to install my gauges and havent figured out where I'm putting my sender yet, but when i figure it out, I'll re-post. I may just throw up the extra coin and head to a shop.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

I may look into adapters and hopefully find some combination that can use the drain plug threads and those of the current sender. I'm not hopeful though. And if I find something it would likely be 3 adapters long. It would be nice if I knew if I could do the cut/re-attach.
    Last edited by koji; 09-26-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Wish I could help, sorry man. Where are all the mega-subie heads for help on this one, sheesh!
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex
    Wish I could help, sorry man. Where are all the mega-subie heads for help on this one, sheesh!
    Come on guys, help a brother out! There are plenty of opinions on which gauges to get I can't believe there's no one who's ran into this issue before.