VDO Oil Temp Gauge - Mounting Help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on VDO Oil Temp Gauge - Mounting Help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Right now I'm getting ready to install an VDO oil temp gauge but I've run into a snag and could ...

VDO Oil Temp Gauge - Mounting Help

Right now I'm getting ready to install an VDO oil temp gauge but I've run into a snag and could use some advice. I bought the gauge and a temp sender off summittracing and a pre-drilled oil drain plug off of wrxtra.com.

I bought the temp sender because the description on the site said the gauge came with mounting hardware and accessories but not the sender. It's a threaded sender and it fits the plug perfectly.

I just got the gauge yesterday and it turns out that the gauge, sender, and signal line are all basically one piece. The line is basically welded to the gauge/sender and there doesn't look like a way I can de-couple the current sender without cutting it.

The current sender isn't threaded, but there is a nut behind it that's way too big for the drain plug from wrxtra. The gauge came with a bunch of adapters but it doesn't look like any of them match the drain plug thread so no dice there.

Can I just cut the current sender off and attach the line to the sender that fits the drain plug? From what I can see, the sender line is just copper with a steel mesh around it.

I'm a little worried about cutting the current sender off since it's all one piece right now and I have no idea what the proper method for attaching the line to the threaded sender would be. Help and ideas are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0019.jpg   IMG_0022.jpg  
    Last edited by koji; 09-24-2005 at 05:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here's a pic of my gauge setup, just waiting for the oil temp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0016.jpg   IMG_0017.jpg  

bump for help...

Maybe take it to a shop? I need to install my gauges and havent figured out where I'm putting my sender yet, but when i figure it out, I'll re-post. I may just throw up the extra coin and head to a shop.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

I may look into adapters and hopefully find some combination that can use the drain plug threads and those of the current sender. I'm not hopeful though. And if I find something it would likely be 3 adapters long. It would be nice if I knew if I could do the cut/re-attach.
    Last edited by koji; 09-26-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Wish I could help, sorry man. Where are all the mega-subie heads for help on this one, sheesh!
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex
    Wish I could help, sorry man. Where are all the mega-subie heads for help on this one, sheesh!
    Come on guys, help a brother out! There are plenty of opinions on which gauges to get I can't believe there's no one who's ran into this issue before.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.