Technical Wiring Question: Gauge Lighting
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Technical Wiring Question: Gauge Lighting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is a tough one... a good challenge. I've got a couple of gauges on the a-pillar (Apex'i). They are ...

Question Technical Wiring Question: Gauge Lighting

This is a tough one... a good challenge.

I've got a couple of gauges on the a-pillar (Apex'i). They are indiglo and bright as hell. I can dim them using the standard dimmer for all the dash lights. The gauges dim just fine, but so do the rest of my other lights (i.e. HVAC, Radio, etc...).

My goal is to wire something (probably in-line) with the gauges to cut their brightness by half. Hence, full dash lighting but half gauge lighting.

I haven't had my coffee yet so I may be talking out of my a--, but I think this is possible.

-- Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    I'm guessing a resistor for the main gauge wiring. (using a linear potentiometer, you can figure out the equivalent resistor)

Potentiometer? Is that like an Ohm meter. I'm trying to dig back to my car audio days (it's been a while).

I read somewhere that the volts change from 1-13 roughly using the dimmer. I'm assuming this is caused by increasing or decreasing the resistance.

So, find the resistance needed for 6-7 volts and wire that inline with the gauges? If this is so, should I wire that to the (+) or (-) side of the gauges? ...or am I way off in left field here?

-- Rich

tan
    A potetiometer is basically a variable resistor. It's basically like the dimmer switch or rheostat. Make sure it's a linear one, because there is a logarithmic one also (audio).

You can find tune the potentiometer to find the resistance you want so that the IP gauges are out half of the other gauges. Then measure the potentiometer's resistance to figure out the right resistor(s) to put in.

I don't know if the resistor method will work, but keep the brainstorming coming.

This is good stuff! Thanks for helping thus far.

If adding a linear potentiometer inline will dim the a-pillar gauges (the desired effect) then why not just leave it installed at the desired setting? My guess is that will work just fine. That would also leave the option of changing the brightness if desired on the a-pillar gauges.

But... will adding a potentiometer after the stock dimmer affect the rest of my lighting? I.E. dim everything and not just the a-pillar gauges. The gauge lighting is wired in parallel so my guess would be no.

Radio Shack's Linear Potentiometer's

-- Rich

Yeah Rich... you can do it!!

def
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

Originally posted by BigRich
    This is good stuff! Thanks for helping thus far.

If adding a linear potentiometer inline will dim the a-pillar gauges (the desired effect) then why not just leave it installed at the desired setting? My guess is that will work just fine. That would also leave the option of changing the brightness if desired on the a-pillar gauges.

But... will adding a potentiometer after the stock dimmer affect the rest of my lighting? I.E. dim everything and not just the a-pillar gauges. The gauge lighting is wired in parallel so my guess would be no.

Radio Shack's Linear Potentiometer's

-- Rich
    If you're going to leave the pot in the circuit, why not use a variable resistor instead?

-Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

I used the white wire with double brown stripes on the radio connection to tap into the dimmer for my a-pillar gauges. They dim without any problems.
    JDM STi Uppipe
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Lead Foot

Favorite Passenger Comment: I feel like we're about to go lightspeed!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.