Steering wheel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Steering wheel within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a MY04 WRX and I want to upgrade to a airbagless steering wheel. I've seen numerous Momo knockoffs ...

Steering wheel

I have a MY04 WRX and I want to upgrade to a airbagless steering wheel. I've seen numerous Momo knockoffs on eBay for $20 and I think I will go with one of them. Can anybody link me to the site where I can buy the correct Hub adapter for my situation. The steering wheel is a common 6 bolt one so it should fit to the hub adapter I want. It comes with a horn as well.

Ex: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-3...95728020QQrdZ1

For the ABS is there a way I can clip a wire or resistor it so the Airbag light doesn't stay on?

I won't have to do any modification to the turn signals either right?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
    Last edited by IBAUCLAPlaya; 08-31-2005 at 04:20 PM.
    -Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sid
    $4.88 for a steering wheel?? unbelievable. How much are you planning on spending for a hub adapter?

Don't know that is why I asked for a link to a hub adapter. But can somebody please answer the questions I posted?
    -Matt

well IMO i would spend a lil bit more money on the stering wheel if i were you and get a real momo... seeing how your stock steering wheel is about $600 with air bag, your really down grading and people will notice... but i meen any way about your question.. your gonna spend about 60 bucks for a hub adapter... for something that will work right
    whats a signature?

Ian
    For the air bags, the light souldn't stay on but it will blink a code every time you start the car saying there is something wrong, if it does stay on find the air bag fuse and pull it out. I hope you know that this is very elegal and you will get fined if you get caught without an air bag, but you do what you want, I'm just making sure you know.
    Your turn signals shouldn't be affected by changing the steering wheel

let me get this straight - you're getting rid of your airbag cause you don't like the way it looks? That's odd. Why not get rid of the brakes? They're keeping you from going wicked fast!
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

No I'm getting rid of the stock steering wheel because it is too big. This is basically a race car so its not on the street that much. Are you sure it's illegal in Ohio? Will this hub work?

http://www.curpiermotorsport.com/xca...WRX-p-302.html

And this is the steering wheel I want:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1
    -Matt

I think it's illegal to produce a car without an airbag. But I think you are allowed to disable, remove at your leisure. New cars have front passenger airbags that can be turned off, so I can't see how it would matter.

Plus, if you're just racing, you're hardly on the streets anyway, and if you were pulled over, it would take a pretty perceptive cop to notice you swapped steering wheels. They just aren't looking for that kind of thing.

Go for it!
    -Lindsay Lohan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    For the air bags, the light souldn't stay on but it will blink a code every time you start the car saying there is something wrong, if it does stay on find the air bag fuse and pull it out. I hope you know that this is very elegal and you will get fined if you get caught without an air bag, but you do what you want, I'm just making sure you know.
    l
    This is incorrect. The light will remain on letting you know there is a problem in the system. There is no "airbag fuse". The airbag system is hardwired into the car, and can't be disabled that easily. It isn't illegal to disconnect an airbag on your own vehicle. If you do remove the airbag, the rest of the system won't function while the lamp is on (passenger airbag, side impact airbags, and force limiters). To put the system back into a functioning state, you need to use a resistor in place of the airbag. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what resistor to use.

Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    I think it's illegal to produce a car without an airbag. But I think you are allowed to disable, remove at your leisure.
    That is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    That is correct.
    I have to show this to my wife. This is the second time this summer I've been right about something.
    -Lindsay Lohan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    I have to show this to my wife. This is the second time this summer I've been right about something.

sid
    Quote Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
    I have a MY04 WRX and I want to upgrade to a airbagless steering wheel. I've seen numerous Momo knockoffs on eBay for $20 and I think I will go with one of them. Can anybody link me to the site where I can buy the correct Hub adapter for my situation. The steering wheel is a common 6 bolt one so it should fit to the hub adapter I want. It comes with a horn as well.

Ex: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-3...95728020QQrdZ1

For the ABS is there a way I can clip a wire or resistor it so the Airbag light doesn't stay on?

I won't have to do any modification to the turn signals either right?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
    The 6 screws on the steering wheels are not standardized, the spacing is different between momo and sparco for example. I recently bought a hub adapter from japanparts.com and it comes with everything you need to install an aftermarket steering wheel, including the resistor for the airbag light and the correct torx screw wrench. Here's a link, the last item on the page.
    http://www.japanparts.com/shop/shop....ing%2fShifting

The steering wheel I want says it should fit with any 6 x 2 3/4" Momo or sparco hub adapter. So that adapter you linked me to should work?
    -Matt

I think it is a 3.3 ohm resistor that is needed. I changed my seats and I was told to get that one for the airbag light.
    Mods: VF34,TMIC, Up pipe, Dp, full catless, Ecutek, Stoptec brakes, DMS 40 coil overs, ALK, CUSCO subframe, Sparco seats, Exedy twin plate and more that I can't remember.

sid
    Quote Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
    The steering wheel I want says it should fit with any 6 x 2 3/4" Momo or sparco hub adapter. So that adapter you linked me to should work?

It should if the momo's have the same measurements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast