Steering wheel - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Steering wheel within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Although you CAN disable or remove airbags, if you get into an accident, your insurance company (and probably the insurance ...

Although you CAN disable or remove airbags, if you get into an accident, your insurance company (and probably the insurance company of the other party if they're at fault) will refuse to pay medical expenses because they can argue that you wouldn't have gotten hurt had the airbag been there, and that your rates were based on a vehicle WITH an airbag.

also, I wouldn't call swapping your OEM steering wheel for a $5 ebay knock-off an "upgrade"
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sid
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg

also, I wouldn't call swapping your OEM steering wheel for a $5 ebay knock-off an "upgrade"

I agree. Also, if this is going in your "race car" you'd want a well built steering wheel, not some ebay knockoff.

besides a nice $200 steering wheel is going to be SO much nicer as it wraps around your face when you get in an accident.

by the way, when race drivers remove the airbag, the add 6-point seatbelts and head-restraint systems...if you just take out the airbag and drive around....well...I don't want to start calling people names, but that's just retarded.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by canlogic
    I think it is a 3.3 ohm resistor that is needed. I changed my seats and I was told to get that one for the airbag light.

Thats what you should look for. Note: NOT a 3.3KOhm resistor just 3.3ohm.

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    besides a nice $200 steering wheel is going to be SO much nicer as it wraps around your face when you get in an accident.

by the way, when race drivers remove the airbag, the add 6-point seatbelts and head-restraint systems...if you just take out the airbag and drive around....well...I don't want to start calling people names, but that's just retarded.
    I'm sure when you're racing you wear a helmet. Without that airbag (or at least a 4 point harness; more points the better), you should think about doing the same on the street. If it's a race only vehicle, you should be well aware that your hands get real tired on not so good steering wheels. I'd think about investing in a sparco or other racing wheel thats not only safer than the knock offs, but a HELL of a lot more comfy.

If the reason you;re switching wheels is because you're trying to move faster, you might want to think about getting a steering quikener. I've heard good things about WRX owners getting them for rallying, and I really liked mine in my old car.

just out of curiosity what type of restraint system are you using?

There was someone with a semi-race car that wrecked a button willow earlier this year and if he had an airbag he would have been in ok shape. He didn't, had some AM steering wheel and I'd imagine he made it but isn't eating anything that requires chewing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    let me get this straight - you're getting rid of your airbag cause you don't like the way it looks? That's odd. Why not get rid of the brakes? They're keeping you from going wicked fast!

Im sorry, I just found this hilarious.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

...Im just curious, but it would seem as many of you would retrofit ABS systems into old Mustangs and Vettes or whatever if you used them regularly on the streets.... heck youd drive em anyways, and they dont even have half decent crumple zones, even the crappy little head restraint thingys on top regular car seats from nowadays...
    Granted its not the safest thing to do, but dont act like its downright moronic.... you might as well ban old cars from the streets.
    my 2 cents

ABS - shoot, I'd get rid of my crappy subaru ABS in a second. Adds nothing to safety, just activates at the wrong times.

Seatbelts - yeah, I would think an old car should have to have a seatbelt in it. At least if I ran an insurance company. As a darwinist, do as you see fit, brave driver! More food/women/booze/gas for me.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    ABS - shoot, I'd get rid of my crappy subaru ABS in a second. Adds nothing to safety, just activates at the wrong times.

Seatbelts - yeah, I would think an old car should have to have a seatbelt in it. At least if I ran an insurance company. As a darwinist, do as you see fit, brave driver! More food/women/booze/gas for me.
    I just got mine swapped as per the recall...they're SO much better now.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by MMC_555
    ...Im just curious, but it would seem as many of you would retrofit ABS systems into old Mustangs and Vettes or whatever if you used them regularly on the streets.... heck youd drive em anyways, and they dont even have half decent crumple zones, even the crappy little head restraint thingys on top regular car seats from nowadays...
    Granted its not the safest thing to do, but dont act like its downright moronic.... you might as well ban old cars from the streets.
    my 2 cents

ok....enjoy your airbagless car...while you're at it, why don't you cut out the door beams and remove the bumper mechanism...for something its all just dead weight...and besides, its all stuff that you're only gonna end up using ONCE. The airbag is SO ugly I can totally see why you'd risk your life and give your insurance company an out so they don't have to pay up in the event of an accident. Anyway, the steering wheel will look A LOT better smeared with brains.

Just do me a favor - if you hit something hit it good and hard, because I REALLY won't want to listen to you b!tch about how messed up you got or how the insurance company is refusing to pay up because they said your rates were based on a car with all its safety equipment working properly.

"I'm taking mine out because older cars don't have them and people still drive them, don't they" is the stupidest reason I've ever heard.
    go f*** yourself

all Im saying is dont be such ass about it... i think ANYONE including yourself can figure out why an airbag is a good thing, and the consequences of not having one if they wanna do without it
    And no you wont hear b***h about anything cause I dont. (hint, hint)
    Last edited by MMC_555; 09-26-2005 at 09:27 AM.

i had an old skool jetta gli and i had a really tiny steering wheel. needless to say there was no airbag. however, it was crazy fun to drive. if this is for a race car then i really dont see why anyone would complain or be against it. at that point an airbag would potentially be doing more harm than good. anyway, i like my wheel but others dont so there ya have it.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12