Armrest extension installation

This is a discussion on Armrest extension installation within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, this may seem like a stupid question: Is the armrest extension supposed to "lock" securely onto the center console? ...

Armrest extension installation

Okay, this may seem like a stupid question: Is the armrest extension supposed to "lock" securely onto the center console? I just bought an armrest extension and installed it but can't keep the bottom latch attached to the base. I removed my old lid (two screws) and installed the extension (same two screws). The trouble is that the extension can open freely. Well, the armrest extension has a latch (one of two) on the bottom but it hits the existing "release" button (used to pop open my old lid).

Any ideas? I figure that the old "release" button is supposed to be replaced with some type of locking mechanism (cheap plastic of course). Any one know this for a fact?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

mine came with the armrest extension in the car, mine has 2 latchs, 1 for the top part and one for the bottom, and from what it looks like is the latch is where the "normal" release would be

My armrest extension also has 2 latches. I'm concerned that the bottom latch doesn't connect to anything that I can see, so opens freely. Is it supposed to lock into a locking mechanism?

Ric
    Kilyung,

Your Armrest Extension should have come with a latch to replace the existing release button. That is why you need to pry up the trim panel in front of the armrest (which the handbrake protrudes through) in order to remove the release button and replace it with this latch. Did your Extension come with the Installation Instructions? Mine did.

- Ric

<Smacking forehead!> That's what I thought but like an eager beaver I threw out the box before completing the install. Grrr... okay, so I just threw away the instructions and latching mechanism. How dumb do I feel? I guess I'll be making a quick stop to my Suby dealer tomorrow. Thanks.

It must have come with a Bracket so you could unscrew the release button and change it for the new bracket,,then the armrest would lock.
    When i first tried to install i had the same problem and i kept thinking was because my car is not USDM,,but then i made it.
    Thanks
    Tuca

I like having the extension, but I hate how it opens rearward (is that a word?), so I'm going to make hinges so it opens to the side- I'm tired of my arm having to lift all the way up to open the thing. Plus, it feels like the lid might break off if you swing it all the way back.

Dang blang it! Just got off the phone with the dealer. Apparently the latch is not sold seperately by SOA. Let that be a lesson to y'all... don't throw anything away!

*sigh*

Why dont you get one from someone near you that have one and go to a metal pro worker and he can make you a identical one.
    I used to race in Motocross and i made this a lot here in Brazil,,sometimes we cant get the parts we need.
    Thanks
    Tuca
    Building another one is your only choice..
    I can take good pics of mine so you can take it to a specialized metal shop.