HELP- Airbag light?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on HELP- Airbag light? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So yesterday driving back from work I noticed that the Airbag light was lit. Fantastic. I get home, read the ...

HELP- Airbag light?

So yesterday driving back from work I noticed that the Airbag light was lit. Fantastic. I get home, read the manual, which says to take it in to a dealership- which isn't a really big deal, except its the weekend, and I'm not really going to be around monday. I turned the car on again just for kicks and the light did not stay on (normal start up) Thinking it was a fluke, I turned it off, then went for a drive later in the evening with no problem. When I get back in to head home, however, the light went on and stayed on even after I shut it down and restarted. Any ideas guys?? Anything else it could be? Perhaps something really stupid? Really need the airbags working!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anybody? Just did it again- airbag light on for the drive one way, off for the other direction. Weird intermittent things with airbags are not encouraging.

I have the stock seats and no turbo timer or any other weird stuff that would throw the light.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by phi11235
    Anybody? Just did it again- airbag light on for the drive one way, off for the other direction. Weird intermittent things with airbags are not encouraging.

I have the stock seats and no turbo timer or any other weird stuff that would throw the light.
    I would get it to a dealer asap! If there is a problem with your airbag system, and it discharges while you are driving it could be a disaster.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

I think if the light is on it means the circuit is not complete, i.e. if you change your seats you need to put a 3.3 ohm resistor in the circuit to make it complete. Likely there is a loose connection probably under one of the seats. Not sure if you can reach them without remooving the seats but try and make sure the connectors under the seats are tight.

WEll apparently there was a bunch of crap rolling around underneeth the seats. Perhaps some of that came into contact with the yellow airbag wires. I pushed the connectors together and it seems to have worked. Maybe I should tape them together? Any long term effects of having the wires intermittent?

Thanks for your help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by phi11235
    WEll apparently there was a bunch of crap rolling around underneeth the seats. Perhaps some of that came into contact with the yellow airbag wires. I pushed the connectors together and it seems to have worked. Maybe I should tape them together? Any long term effects of having the wires intermittent?

Thanks for your help guys.

airbags safes lifes.. y tape that wire? just bring it back to the dealership and get it done safely.

Besides, if anything happens (Which i hope it doesn't) they bear the responsiblilty.

Kak
    Quote Originally Posted by impreza82
    airbags safes lifes.. y tape that wire? just bring it back to the dealership and get it done safely.

Besides, if anything happens (Which i hope it doesn't) they bear the responsiblilty.
    Had the same problem, guess what the dealership did??

Electrical taped the wires.

Don't bother taking it , if you KNOW that is it.

Funny you say that-

You beat me to it.

Went to dealership today. I kinda pulled on the cable in the parking lot to make sure the airbag light was on. They hold the damned thing all day. Guess what's on the plug now?

....They diddn't even use electrical tape- DUCT TAPE!

Dealers suck. Do it yourself. If you're worried that you can't do it yourself, find somebody who can.

I'd call SoA, and if they don't do anything talk to the NHSTA. Taping it with duct tape is ridiculous and dangerous.

Its not worth my time. I already have put in several complaints for my dealership with various complaint organizations to no avail. I have the little clippy things on order- I'll just swap them.

I say we should go back to the days without all this needless electronics- although admittedly Subaru is better in this regard then most. Better yet, we should all drive on sofas with a big block strapped to the back. We'd all drive A LOT safer.

you're not the only one!

Is this an 04 problem? I have the same issue with mine....and I know it's coming from the passenger seat. Arrgghh!!

I noticed it's triggered by the passenger seat and the seat's location. If I move the seat forward and re-start the car the light will go off as it should. Othwerwise, if someone moves the seat it will then stay on. Short in the wiring or connector I know, but moving the connector around doesn't help anymore.....any suggestions?
    Dave (aka Scuba Steve)

Not to bring anything back from the dead, but I had the same issue with my 04. Maybe it's just the JBP 04's? My dealership (Dan Perkins) "could not replicate the problem" after leaving it in there for 2 days. I went in, yanked on the seat a bit, and it came on while they were watching. Did they fix it? NO! BECAUSE " BROKE IT MYSELF!!!" and thus of course, it's not under warentee. I don't really like flaming, but stay the hell away from those idiotic theives.

I ordered new connectors from subaru parts and have them sitting around because while waiting for them to come in, I got a bit spooked. I took a look at the connectors on there, squished a bunch of conductive grease in there, and then tried to "tweak" the plastic manually. That diddn't work, so I just took my butane soldering iron, put on the little mini-blowtorch nozzle (which is wonderful for heat shrink tubing by the way) and heated up the plastic ever so slightly until I could really push the things together. Has held up since.

Personally? Just go out and spend the couple bucks to get new plugs. I have heard that they were redesigned for the 06 year and hold better, but that could be pure heresay. Better yet, if you're planning on keeping the car and are gonna spend the money anyway, go to radioshack and get some good connectors that screw or click together- an XLR airbag would do wonders for your bling factor.

Angry those ?@% connectors

Okay, so last night I decided to fix the problem at any cost. So I ripped the passenger seat out to get a better look at the connectors....After testing the wires, connectors and checking everything 10 times I still couldn't get the light to go off.

dummy me.....The thought occured that if it happened to the passenger side seat it might be happening to the drivers side seat. Sure S**t, it was loose like the passenger side connector was. So, I pushed it back together and of course, the light goes off. No more problem. I taped the connectors tight on both seats and the light continues to stay off.
    Dave (aka Scuba Steve)

It was my driver's side as well if it makes you feel better.

god i am glad i did a search first

mine has been coming on randomly lately, too. i ALWAYS have a bottle of water rolling around in the car, so i am going to go check this out before getting anymore worried. i will report in another hour or so
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.