Just installed autometer boost gauge

This is a discussion on Just installed autometer boost gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know there are thread of others who did this, but this one is mine With the help of a ...

Just installed autometer boost gauge

I know there are thread of others who did this, but this one is mine

With the help of a buddy, last night I installed an Autometer sport comp gauge onto my steering column. I got the gauge, necessary plumbing, cup, and bracket for $50 (used). Thanks Rich!

1. Mistake #1, I did not download ClubWRX threads on the install. I depended solely on the SUbaru directions for installing the Subaru GAuge. I recommend getting at least 2 sets of directions.

2. Mistake #2, I told my g/f it'll take from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. It took 3 and half hours, after we got all parts, and with the both of us working on it.

3. Directions said to tap the line going into the BOV....so we did.
    We had extra hose added instead of just cutting and teeing off, that way we can return to stock easily.

4. Problem getting the line thru the pass-thru...did not have a wire clothes hanger to use, so improvised w/ stiff rope and my buddy's small azz hand and arm (no offense Lostlamb). Initially lost the grommet...found....accidentally cut in half (lost lamb had a good laugh), BTW, where can we get extra grommets? Ended up usind the miracle tool...duct-tape (no one will see it).

5. Taking apart the dash and steering column...everything pops out easily IF you get to all the screws ( a big IF).

6. The directions said to tap the power from the radio (this was bogus)...after getting the 6-disc changer out, the wiring was different from the $hitty Subaru directions...so we end up (and I HATE this part) doing this trial and error!!! Cut..NO...Cut...Damn no...Cut...I'm starting to cry...Basically, if this was a bomb we would have been F'ed Up like 5 times. ( this was hella stupid...Don't do this)...our only excuse was it was friggin 20 degrees in the garage..poor lighting...and past midnight. i remember reading that some members used the line from the cruise control button light...so I picked the right wire on the first try (again based upon what ClubWRXers have said) and Voila...green lit gauge when the headlight go on!!!

7. We used the dremel to poke two holes and attached the gauge bracket to column...cake. I would recommend making all the wire connections to the gauge prior to mounting cause the space is rather tight to be messing w/ screws and wires.

8. After the install..it was late and I had to be up at 5:15 am...do we go to sleep? Hell NO!, we took my baby out on the road and worked that turbo gauge like no tomorrow. BTW, don't try hard launches in birkenstocks and a stiff frozen azz leg and asleep foot...the result is a burning clutch smell (ouch!).

Things that helped were an extra insulating hose for the vacuum line in the engine bay and also that little bit showing behind the gauge. Cleaner look and no worries about the heat melting the plastic hose.

The result: Yeah it's sweet
    Thanks Lostlamb

BTW, don't ask me to post a pic unless you have a camera I can borrow. The gauge matches perfectly...the neg pressure is in yellow which match OEM yellow and the trim is the same silver on teh OEM trim. The needle is red though, but it's OK...the green backlit matches well.

As for accuracy: here's what i get: vacuum to -20 psi, full boost at about 15 psi. Subtle throttle inputs seems to be well picked-up by the gauge...I had no idea the turbo was doing so much.
    Let me know if anything here sounds fishy, it seems ok to me.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just did my turbo guage last weekend- how did it take you 3.5 hours? Maybe 'cuz 2 of you were working on it- too many cooks spoiling the soup, etc. I'm surprised you get a full 15 psi- my wagon only seems to hit about 13- and I have the 3/16 connector mod

I don;t know where the time went, but yeah...if we planned it out better, it really should have been less than 2 hours for sure. We kept making minor mistakes like attaching something, then realizing we either did it wrong or we could do it better...like tapping the bov line...we must have did that like 5 times. Also the wiring took a lot of time...everytime we spliced a wire...had to fix it right....and finally mounting the gauge...probably took an hour just to find the "perfect" spot and mounting it w/o moving it.

Yeah, well the gauge tells me 15 psi at wot in 5th. Very close to it in 4th. I was just about to do a search to see what the average boost has been for stock cars...
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Small azz hands and arms!!???

You're lucky I was there!! Punk!!

Took too long to do. I could have done the whole install a lot faster if I knew which wires from the radio to tap into. Other than that, the installation was a cake. Wish it wasn't so damn cold there!!!

I should of took pics as we were doing the install. That would have been nice. I had my digital cam there too!!

Oh well...next time.

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.