Replacing Shift Knob, Glue or Tape?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Replacing Shift Knob, Glue or Tape? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just got a used WRX. It had a crappy shift knob on it so I ordered a MOMO ...

Replacing Shift Knob, Glue or Tape?

So I just got a used WRX. It had a crappy shift knob on it so I ordered a MOMO shift knob online. The problem is the old knob was held on by some sort of tape or glue. I have the knob off, but all this gunk is on the shift knob, its dirty, and won't let the new knob thread properly.

So far I have tried goo gone, a heat gun, and a razor blade and have had little success.

I get worried when I use the heat gun too much, as the entire handle heats up, and I worry about the transmission warming up as well. Any suggestions on what I should do, or if the heat gun is harmful or not?

Thanks

Stu

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

glue and tape on the shift knob?..mine just screwed off..pic?
    " I got four doors to fit more wh0res !!!"

SOCAL F4
    MEMBER "00"

(CLUBWRX'S 1ST OFFICIAL "F4" TEAM) est. May 2, 2005

pic is a good idea, brb

It's out of focus, but I think you get the idea. It's on there hard though and after half an hour of work, I'm probably only 20% done.

Get a cobb short shifter man. That'yll solve the problem, and provide you with better shifting capabilities. They run about $150 plus $30 if you want to smoothing cobb bushings as well.

I can't tell if it is a short shifter or not, but maybe you ought to think about getting one anyway. Have you tried WD-40? You might want to try that stuff, soak a rag and wrap it around the threads. There is a drawback though, its gonna make the inside of your car smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Skreekin
    I can't tell if it is a short shifter or not, but maybe you ought to think about getting one anyway. Have you tried WD-40? You might want to try that stuff, soak a rag and wrap it around the threads. There is a drawback though, its gonna make the inside of your car smell.

WD-40, can't believe I didnt think of that. Not supposed to rain, I'll leave the windows open tonight.

WD-40 didn't do any good.

What sucks now is that the new shift knob won't go cuz of the tape/glue, but the old one wont stay on safely because I've removed so much of the glue/tape.

Simply Green

Try wrapping a rag soaked in Simply Green around it and let it soak in overnight. I have used this technique remove other glues with alot of success. If you are the impacient type you can do the same thing with oven cleaner. Just don't use it on aluminum . It will destroy it.

I would get a short shifter for sure instead of wasting all that time cleaning the glue.
    -Eric
    Originally posted by lanevoell
    stand up for yourself, painter!
    Wesome +1

WD-40, can't believe I didnt think of that.
    WD-40 is the answer to everything, even some of the more mysterious symptoms of the female reproductive system. However if that doesn't work, try getting a new shifter, thats alot of headache over something that isn't really expensive and would be an improvement anyway.

Goog luck!

dude.... paint thinner will work on a rag trust me...
    whats a signature?

flame thrower? but mybe you could heat it up witha blow dryer and then try to wipe off? why in the hell is there gunk on there.? oh..prev owner and crappy knob.

dont wanna hijack you tread, but do all subies come with the leather shifter stock?
    " I got four doors to fit more wh0res !!!"

SOCAL F4
    MEMBER "00"

(CLUBWRX'S 1ST OFFICIAL "F4" TEAM) est. May 2, 2005

yea i don't know what happened to the old shift knob. but this new one looks like a wal-mart special. and i don't think it was the previous owner, cuz everything else is in GREAT shape. i think it was the moron salesman.

another clubwrx'er is sending me his old shift lever. it'll just be interesting driving the next 2 days.

Well I have learned quite a lot in the last half hour.

It may not have been the glue or tape, as this shift lever is not OEM. That pisses me off.

Here's a pic:

So the shift lever that the fellow ClubWRX'er sent me will not fit properly, without bending something at least.

So is the best move to just return the shift knob I bought and find the size and buy a new one? How can I find out what shift lever I currently have on this car?

Stu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.