Just installed boost gauge, have a few Q's
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just installed boost gauge, have a few Q's within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all. I just got done installing an HKS boost gauge in my '02 WRX. I used the J-spec tuning ...

Just installed boost gauge, have a few Q's

Hi all. I just got done installing an HKS boost gauge in my '02 WRX. I used the J-spec tuning instructions as to how to do it, and they worked out well. I got the electrical part hooked up fine (dims when I use the dimmer, etc.). The vacuum hose part is hooked up fine as far as I know, but I think I have a problem with the 3-way connector that I bought. I bought it at Autozone, and it does not have the brass pill in it which I think it should have. In the instructions it says that the gauge will work without it, but will be erratic. Well... that seems to be the case. My gauge is measured in kg/cm.. which is just about equal to Bar. I should be getting almost to 1 bar at full boost in 3rd~ gear or whatever (whenever the car hits 14~ psi.) My problem is, when I start the car... instead of having the needle sit at 0, it sits below... at about 500 (mmHg I believe). In first gear it goes from 500 up to 0 (never above), in 2nd gear it goes to 0.5, and in third it goes to 0.5 (haven't had the chance to test out 4th or 5th - only took it up and down my street.) The car feels normal, no drivability issues or loss of power... so I'm pretty sure it's just the gauge/T-connector acting funky. What do you guys think? Where can I get one of the T-connectors with the brass pill? I got the only ones Autozone had, and I'm not sure where to get others (maybe Lowe's, etc.?) Thanks for the input and advice... any and all are welcome. Here is a pic of the gauge installed (matches the stock gauges pretty damn nicely)... Enjoy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i put my gauge in and never had an issue with it. the gauge reads dead on with no erratic movement. now the boost u are mentioning, is that under a full WOT load or just regular cruise?

not sure about your idle, i know mine sits somewhere in the mid region of my vac (below 0)
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

Okay, so the idle measurement seems pretty normal then. That pic at 0 was taken when the key was on, but not the car. The readings I got were under WOT. The needle got up to 0.5 and just stopped, wouldn't go any higher (even though I was still acclerating).. and it was before 3500~ rpms, too (when you hit full boost). Do you have the brass pill in your T-connector?

i have no restrictor when it comes to my boost gauge.

i would look for a vac leak..make sure your boost gauge hose isnt tweaked anywhere. the hose normally gets tweaked up during install. also make sure your lines going to your BOV arent ripped. i am assuming u hooked your boost gauge up through your BOV lines?
    or did u find another spot?

I used the J-spec instructions which said to put the T-connector in the hose coming off the intake manifold, into the check valve. I saw another set of instructions that said into the BOV, but I didn't know which was better so I just followed all the instructions I was already using and went into that manifold line. Should I disconnect it there (and reconnect it with another connector and run it up to the BOV?

most people run it through their BOV line cuz its more easily accessible. u dont need a restrictor for it as well. it could make your boost gauge more readable too. give it a shot, wont hurt to try

Last night I don't think I was at WOT, because today on the way to and from work I got on it at WOT and the gauge seemed to work fine. I hit WOT in 3rd gear and it went up to just before 1.0, which is just about 14psi or so (factory boost). I think it just seems a little odd to me that it sits so low during idle/cruising (500mmHg), and then goes up to 0+ from there. Do these conditions sound normal to you people? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo tecnica
    Last night I don't think I was at WOT, because today on the way to and from work I got on it at WOT and the gauge seemed to work fine. I hit WOT in 3rd gear and it went up to just before 1.0, which is just about 14psi or so (factory boost). I think it just seems a little odd to me that it sits so low during idle/cruising (500mmHg), and then goes up to 0+ from there. Do these conditions sound normal to you people? Thanks!

im not sure how to convert vac but mine sits between 15-20 vac at idle. max number on my vac side is 30. 1 bar is supposed to be 14.5 PSI (absolute). if u are hitting slightly below it, then u are where u are supposed to be stock.

Yeah so it sounds like the car is on the right track, but I'm just paranoid that I screwed something up and it's acting odd. The car drives fine with no problems, and it's hitting where it should be.. so it seems. I guess there is no problem afterall!

looks really good...what color is the face during the day?
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

It's white (unfortunately, I guess) but it's okay. I like how it looks at night

i had black faced gauges and got tired of it. i couldnt read it in the dark and the backlighting went. i got some auto technic white gauges an mounted em on my cluster bezel and look alot better. they are in psi instead of bars!

Gauge install in Driverside airvent

Just curious fellas but I heard that the driver's side a/c vent is another possible place for gauge install (boost gauge in this case). Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.