Need advice from audiophiles re: augmenting sound system in WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need advice from audiophiles re: augmenting sound system in WRX within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am an audiophile---just home systems tho. Learnin the car setup slowly. I just today had Infintiy Reference speakers put ...

I am an audiophile---just home systems tho. Learnin the car setup slowly.

I just today had Infintiy Reference speakers put in. 6.5 in front, 4" in rear. The difference is wonderful. Not boomy, very responsive. All told, I'm out 150+/- 20 bucks for the speakers, and 80 for the install.

Next up is a 8" self-powered bazooka EL(from my old car). Then as sad as I am to do it, the factory HU is gonna get the heave-ho, in favor of a JVC Arsenal HU(it has a front MP3 input for my 5 gig player).

Then, a 4 channel amp and a EQ in the second half of the left-over DIN space. That outta be enough. Not the "boom-boom" by any means, but sharp and defined music.

Total in end...around 800-1000(the bazooka not figured in) total, install and materials. Hope that might help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Brembo- how was the fit? You liked the Reference better than the Kappa?
    How hard is it to get 5 inch in the back? Anyone?

Originally posted by 2003Platinum
    Brembo- how was the fit? You liked the Reference better than the Kappa?
    How hard is it to get 5 inch in the back? Anyone?
    I dunno how hard it was. I paid to have the bits installed. I went with reference rather than Kappa due to sensitivy issues. Kinda hoping to get away without a HU swap. But I'm so anal about sound that I'll prolly get a new HU anyways. The installer had to fab up some brackets for the fronts, and I put 4"ers in the rear. Sub goes in tomorrow...w00t!

I have problems believing that you can image well in a car. Its tough enough to image well in a custom designed A/V room in a house with a multi-thousand dollar speaker setup, I just don't see it happening well in a car ya know? So the References work fine for straight up sound.

Don't get me wrong, the Kappas sound great(I like the JL Extremes better tho). But for the money, the Reference's sounded *almost* as good and the price difference was just too much.

Now if you get some custom mounts, that you can aim speakers and whatnot, Kappas make alot more sense. Friend has some Kappa components, and a Savard iso sub, and custom mounts, and its UNREAL sounding. Granted it cost him lotsa dough, but he spends many hours in the car(commutes into San Fran everyday).

I'm kinda a sound nut at home, car just has to sound good. If I wanna hear cool stuff in car, I rev it hard

If you guys are looking for sero=ious speakers ,,take a look at Boston Acoustics Pro Series..
    Its the Nicest and loudest sound i ever heard in my life..
    I have 1 pair at my Dakota R/T ,,but costed me 750 USD the pair
    Its very expensive but its worth to take a look at it..
    Brembo,,Also i am a Home sound Fan..
    Check out my Speaker setup(i use it for my techno music parties =),,,Oh and the place where my Speakers are,,is my Home Studio and Disco (I play Drum and i like to Party)
    And check out my Dakota Setup and see if you like the look..
    Thanks
    Tuca
    WRX and Dodge Dakta Pics.
    Home Setup

What are youre opinions on the polk momo series speakers.
    "Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain"
    "Im not going to change my ways just to please you or appease you"

02 Orient Red Porsche Boxster S
    -18" sport designs with Pirreli P-Zero's

01 Land Rover Discovery

Soon i hope to own a WRB WRX

I think the MOMO's are cool.
    But you will be paying overpriced cause of the MOMO logo on it.
    Take a look at the Boston Acoustics Rally Series.
    THanks
    Tuca

This is why i plan to buy the momo set on ebay, save a lot of cash.

01 Land Rover Discovery

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI, MOMO 6.5" DO NOT FIT in the fronts.... trust me.... 7 hours later and just about every creative way imaginable, they don't fit (unless you feel like cutting the door panels!) MOMO has gotten carried away with the sixe of their baskets... way to big...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

dah, you went and crushed me with that one. Do any of the polk momo sets fit in the front, if not how bad is the cutting.

01 Land Rover Discovery

Cutting is not bad at all..
    the original space is very shallow and small.
    GO ahead and cut it if you want a good sound.
    Thanks
    TUca

MB Quart PSD216 sound very nice as well, and also fit.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Jerrodog,,well remembered =)
    I love those as well =)
    Thanks
    Tuca

PSD 216

Those are $214 on eBay

I just finished installing new speakers in the car. Total time=3 hours. Shouldn't have taken so long but I had to fabricate some brackets (luckily had some real stiff sheet metal lying around). I just hate tearing into something and hitting speed bumps.

Thought I'd help those about to do this with a template of the plastic stock rear speaker baffle. Make your adapters in advance! I didn't think to trace a template for the fronts (sorry guys) although I guess I can trace the stock speakers. I'll put it up later.

I put PIONEER TS-G1647 6.5" 2-ways in the front and had to fabricate a bracket. Not having any MDF on hand, and the car totally disassembled, I simply made the hole in the center a little smaller. That way the lip of the speaker was above the plane of the adapter by about 0.5". I used bolts/nuts to keep the speaker attached to the bracket and bolted it right in. Clearance (REAL TIGHT) was just fine. Looks stock!

If you're putting in 4" speakers in the rear. It's plug and play. I chose to go with PIONEER TS-G1347 5.25" 2-ways. So I had to fabricate a bracket using the template below. Same steps as above but no worries about clearance (it's a cavern back there!) so I just flushed the speaker with the adapter.

Thoughts: Go to radio shack and get some Universal T connectors on one end and slide on connectors on the other. Made life real easy and involved no cutting or soldering (warranty fears). I went with the Pioneers because they cost $20 for all four and sound (to my non-audiophile ear) as good as the Levinson system in my wife's car. Definite improvement over those paper cones. Listening to the new speakers, I now realize how bad the stock HU is. Yuck. Still SIGNIFICANTLY better than before. I may look into component speakers in the future (have to do something about that tweeter and subwoofer now) but for an out-of-pocket cost of $32.14... this works just fine for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reartemplate.jpg  
    Last edited by kilyung; 11-08-2002 at 01:58 PM.

kilyung: Thanks for the bracket template! I'm sure it'll come in handy for a lot of board members.

I have a question about component speakers like the MB Quart PSD216. Is installation just a matter of hooking up the provided crossovers to the speaker wires coming from the headunit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast