Need HELP finishing S2000 start button...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need HELP finishing S2000 start button... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need help finishing mine look at this pic I think I've got the right plug to wire my relay ...

Need HELP finishing S2000 start button...

I need help finishing mine

look at this pic I think I've got the right plug to wire my relay into (the blue one). That normallly goes into the white plug with is part of my HKS turbo timer harness. No my dilemma is connecting the relay the right way.

I've got the 85 and 86 figure out

85 - start lead from S2000 button
    86 - ground
    30 - ?
    87 - ?
    87a - ?

And I've got I've got 4 black wires that I think I need to hack into:
    1. solid black
    2. yellow stripe
    3. blue stripe
    4. white stripe

So I'm going to hake a small harness to go between those plugs with my male and female spade connectors, but I don't wanna screw it up!

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED!

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

UPDATE:

I tried this:
    85 - to start lead from S2000 button
    86 - to ground
    30 - to the blue switch end of the IG wire
    87 - to the HKS harness end of the ST wire
    87a - to the HKS harness end of the IG

I then reconnected the remaining wires on the top half of the blue plug to their counterparts on the HKS harness with some short jumpers. With this setup, it will crank, I can hear the fuel pump priming, and the relay is clicking (working fine) the S2000 button is sitting pretty, yet it won't fire!!!

What do you have goign to each pin pos neg?

umm, I'm not sure if I understand I just did this:

wire from 85 - to start lead from S2000 button
    wire from 86 - to ground
    wire from 30 - to the blue switch end of the IG wire
    wire from 87 - to the HKS harness end of the ST wire
    wire from 87a - to the HKS harness end of the IG

I was using this for some instruction:
    http://www.miata.net/garage/pushstart/

Here's the diagram, page 11 is what u want:
    http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/m...ingdiagram.pdf

is the relay clicking when your pushing the button? if not does the wire coming from the button to the relay have power when you push the button?
    If the relay is clicking is power going to pin 30?

yeah the relay is cliacking good when I hit the start button, and #30 is conncected to that blue connector where the IG signal comes from the key. eveything seems all good as the car will crank away but not fire!

thanks btw for helping me out!

if the car is cranking and not starting....... i dont know exaclty how that whole kit works, but do you have the key in the car and turned to the on position? it sounds like not all of the IGN switches are getting power

Yeah I'm wondering if one of my connections was bad (or the wire is not of big enough gauge to handle the load). What I do is switch the key to "On" then hit the button. CRANK CRANK CRANK

The way it was wired you have to hit the button to start the car, the key itself won't start it.

I dont wanna sound like a **** but are you sure you have the car turned all the way on. Like right b4 start? If so did you cut into any wires? It dosnt take thick wires for the car to start, but i would check your connections. Is your raidio and everything coming on when you turn the key on? like does it seem like the car is actually on just not starting?

Uhh I think it's on, I turn the key all the way forward (it won't start with the key with this config set up by the miata instructions) I then hit the button, and the starter cranks and the motor spins. it just won't fire up and run... I don't get it...

Quote Originally Posted by subadu
    I If so did you cut into any wires? It dosnt take thick wires for the car to start, but i would check your connections. Is your raidio and everything coming on when you turn the key on? like does it seem like the car is actually on just not starting?
    no factory wires were cut I'm using male and female spade connectors to tap into where that blue plug goes into the harness for the turbo timer. yeah it seems like everything is on and the starter cranks it just doesn't fire up, I'm wondering if it's not getting spark...

Yeah thats why i was askin if everything turns on, like the radio, the ac, the fuel pump. all those things need power when you crank it, otherwise it'l crank and crank w/out starting. From the sounds of it your obviously taped into the starter wire since the engin is cranking, but since its not starting somthing that should be getting power isnt. Try cranking the car and pushing your button at the same time. If that gets the car started then the car must actually have 2 starter wires. But im guessing more so that for whatever reason during crank somthings not getting power that should be. So do that try cranking the car and pushing the button at the same time. Then try and figure out what wire isnt getting power that should be when ur pushin ur button.

are you getting ENOUGH power? when you turn the key to start it momenterily cuts power to all the accessories (radio, blower, etc.) Is it possible that your button is bypassing the cirtuitry that does that and its just not getting enough amps?

I don't know how the system is wired, but it may be a combination of closing one cirtuit and opening anohter one..or something a but more complicated to prevent hot-wiring.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by subadu
    Yeah thats why i was askin if everything turns on, like the radio, the ac, the fuel pump. all those things need power when you crank it, otherwise it'l crank and crank w/out starting. From the sounds of it your obviously taped into the starter wire since the engin is cranking, but since its not starting somthing that should be getting power isnt. Try cranking the car and pushing your button at the same time. If that gets the car started then the car must actually have 2 starter wires. But im guessing more so that for whatever reason during crank somthings not getting power that should be. So do that try cranking the car and pushing the button at the same time. Then try and figure out what wire isnt getting power that should be when ur pushin ur button.
    I'll try this when I get home, I recall someone else posting they had a similar problem and the way tehy had it they had to dolh the key and hit he button, I don't want it to operate like this but it helps in the troubleshooting of the problem, thanks!

go to scoobymods and look up the schematics for the ignition switch. It'll have the diagrams so you can work out the operation of the ignition key switches.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast