Car Stereo Dilemma

This is a discussion on Car Stereo Dilemma within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK, so im basically done modding my car, i like the way she looks outside, and she will be stage ...

Car Stereo Dilemma

OK, so im basically done modding my car, i like the way she looks outside, and she will be stage 2 as of this weekend. So its time to work on the one thing that she is lacking...a stereo system.

My old RSX had a sub and amp which i have to put into the WRX. but i found that the sub over powered the stock RSX stereo. instead of surround sound it was more like BOOM music BOOM. I want to keep the stock WRX HU b/c i like the way it looks and i dont want a cubby hole if i got a smaller HU.

So here is my dilemma. My amp is a 350 watt MTX (cant remember if its 2 or 4 channel...its in NY right now). my Sub is a 12" Alpine Type R w/ QLogic enclosure.

Should i buy a new amp (pref Alpine), and use it to power the car speakers, and keep the MTX w/ the Type R. OR should i use the MTX for the speakers and get mono amp for the sub?

is the 350watt MTX enough to make it all sound balanced???

Thanks guys.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

honestly the type r needs i think 300 watts RMS.. and your mtx is 350 so gain your mtx down a little an dit will be perfect... mtx has some of the cleanest and hardest sounding amps out there. for some bump. since you already have them i would not change them. which model type r do youhave dual 2 or dual 4 ohm??

Quote Originally Posted by aznburn210
    honestly the type r needs i think 300 watts RMS.. and your mtx is 350 so gain your mtx down a little an dit will be perfect... mtx has some of the cleanest and hardest sounding amps out there. for some bump. since you already have them i would not change them. which model type r do youhave dual 2 or dual 4 ohm??
    I think its the 4ohm. I got it like 2years ago.

So keep the 350watt MTX on the sub and then get a 360watt 4channel Alpine MRP-F240 to power the speakers?

actually i find out that the type r has 500 rms.. so i would upgrade to a new amp ... the ssite i went on told me wrong... anyways... the mtx amp depending wher eyou bougth is ****ign soild...

If you want less boom you could just turn the amp down you know. That would give you more balance between your speakers and sub. Until you install it, you can't really know how loud it's going to be compared to your RSX...It's a different car, different environment, and different stock stereo...I would try it with what you have and see how you like it.

As far as amping the main speakers goes, I wouldn't count on your stock speakers lasting long if you do that. Most stock stereos put out around 15 watts to each speaker, and you would be upping that to at least 50 with an amp...Typically when you get an amp for your speakers you end up getting new speakers too.

That's true. Plus the stock HU puts out 120watts and my RSX's old HU only put out 50watts. Maybe it wont sound as unbalanced.