gauge question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on gauge question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; time to get some gauges before i upgrade the turbo and the intercooler. first question is which gauge is better ...

gauge question

time to get some gauges before i upgrade the turbo and the intercooler. first question is which gauge is better to get along with a boost gauge? EGT or oil pressure?

Second question, is it worth it to install the boost gauge before i get the new turbo and intercooler or just hold out and get it done after? obvioulsy i have no idea how/where a boost gauge is installed so that is the reson for the second question.

thanks
    www.kiowapilots.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Boost Gage I would install before you do the Turbo upgrade so you can compare boost readings before and after the swap. By doing it this way you can see if you making more boost then stock and if it is hitting max boost sooner or later.

The second gage choice would be an EGT for me. Do this the same time as the Turbo install because you’re going to have the exhaust apart anyhow.

do the boost guage as soon as you can ,and the egt is just as if not more important. i would do them both together.

IMO boost, EGT are the only two I'd get again.

i planned on doing boost, egt, and oil temp. being that our cars read water temp, not oil.
    -mike
    HAD: 2004 WRX
    MODS: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...01#post1478901

HAVE: 2002 BMW 323CI Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ASPEN524
    i planned on doing boost, egt, and oil temp. being that our cars read water temp, not oil.
    -mike
    I would turn that oil temp into a oil pressure.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone
    I would turn that oil temp into a oil pressure.
    my thoughts were that being able to read the oil temp would allow me to phsically see, rather than estimate, when my car has warmed up and is ready to play. i've read the water temp rises much faster than the oil temp, thus giving a false impression of a warmed up car. i live in jersey, so i have quite a large variation in weather between seasons. this is another reason for my decision. i dont know much about the oil pressure (i.e.- where it should be, highs, lows, etc) so i kinda knocked that one out of the selection. why would u pick that over the temp? just curious.. maybe i will. thanks for any advice.

-mike

I would choose oil pressure because it can tell you things about the internal condition of your engine. If you spin a crank or cam bearing the oil pressure will drop because these areas no longer measure what they should. More space to flow oil = lower oil pressure. Also, if an oil passage gets cloged you might see an increase in oil pressure.

The goal here is that by looking at your oil pressure you can shut your engine down if some internal damage has occured. That is if you can't hear the rod knock.

thanks man. thats info enough for me to reconsider. i understand how that would become very useful with an upgraded turbo,internals, etc. do you think that it would be of much use on a stock turbo? my mods are tbe, cobb stage 2, uppipe, etc.
    -mike

An oil pressure gauge is useful on any car. It just helps give you a better idea of what is going on with your engine.

My three gauges would be Boost, EGT, and Oil Pressure in that order. I'm still somewhat torn on the EGT vs. Oil Pressure question, but I think I would go with the EGT.

thanks man, i think maybe i will go with the oil pressure. youre advice was a big help. thanks again.
    -mike

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You can determine oil temp by watching the oil pressure on cold starts. Oil pressure will drop significantly once the oil gets warm. I cheated though, bought both temp and pressure for the oil.....only regret is that the oil temp takes a long time to read.

EGT is useful, but you're better off getting a true A/F ratio meter. No...the blinking light ones reading rich-lean from autometer don't qualify. A good unit is around $300, but worth every penny once you start tuning/modding.

Blitz, or Defi are the only gauges I would recommend or use myself. (currently have Blitz, am switching to Defi once the STi cluster goes in).
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

thanks ej, youre advice was just as helpful.
    -mike

What are normal gauge reading for oil pressure and EGT? I just ordered my Defi gauges I should be getting them soon. Do I need seperate sensors for them, I have no clue about installation.

ok rather then start a new thread i might just ask here. wat is EGT?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast