Trunk Organization
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Trunk Organization within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a new '05 WRB WRX sedan about a month ago. I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I pretty ...

Trunk Organization

I bought a new '05 WRB WRX sedan about a month ago. I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I pretty much knew exactly what I was getting, since my roommate drives an '03 WRX.

Anyway, the only real problem I've run across so far is that everything slides around in the trunk. If, for example, I put a 12 pack of coke in the back, I can't safely put bread or produce back there, because it'll get completely crushed even if I drive gently. So, has anyone purchased or fabbed anything to solve this problem, or does everyone just deal with it the way I currently do, by putting most stuff in the back seat?

The ideal solution for me would just be to buy something to solve the problem. But, most of the stuff I've seen looks like it'd work for the wagon but not the sedan (little compartments that attach to the back seat). I'd be interested in making something myself, but I'd definitely prefer a guide, since I'm not experienced in that area. I definitely don't want something that looks tacky or poor quality.

Any ideas?

P.S. I've done several searches, but if this has been covered before, I'm sorry.

P.P.S. AGH! I searched for "trunk organizer", so I missed this thread (Trunk Organization!). Anyway, I still didn't see a good solution there, so I'm still open for suggestions.
    Last edited by Jörg; 07-09-2005 at 04:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know if you can use a cargo net on the sedan. Have one in my wagon and it's awesome. Just dump the grocery bags in there, and you can drive like a madman all the way home without breaking as much as an egg.

What you need is the cargo net from an old GC8. I've got one in my 02 WRX sedan and it works perfect. The net for the WRX wagon is too big for the sedan. Just go to the dealership and ask for an 01 2.5RS sedan cargo net. I think it was like $30. Sorry, but I don't know the actual part number. They should be able to find it though.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Where does the cargo net attach? In my '05, the only place I can see is the little hooks formed by the trunk spring bars (I don't know what to call them). But that would place the cargonet in the very back, and make it difficult to use, I'd think. Is there a more convenient attachment point?

i have an 05 sedan and ordered the optional cargo tray...works like a charm.

Joris
    Last edited by Joris; 12-14-2005 at 04:33 PM.

Is that the $20 anti-slip mat? Subaru.com doesn't have a picture of that one. That's pretty cheap if it is. I was figuring more.

I'm actually thinking of making something out of fiberglass, but I've never done glass work before, so I'd definitely want to start with a smaller project and work my way up.

i can't remember how much it was but it was fairly cheap.

I'll try to take some pics of my cargo net later. If you look on both sides of the trunk opening, there are little plastic pop things (one on each side). The cargo net comes with hooks that you put where those plastic pop things are. Then the net hooks into the clips. It's super easy.
    Mods

I appreciate it. I'd be interested in seeing it.

Sorry it took so long, but here are some shots of the cargo net in my car.
    Last edited by psychobooe; 11-06-2006 at 11:01 PM.
    Mods

Don't worry about the delay. I've been out of the country, and without Internet access, anyway.

Thanks for the pictures. It looks pretty good, and I definitely think it'd help with general groceries, but if I had a 24 pack of coke in the trunk with it, I think it'd still crush stuff. Definitely an improvement, though.

I've looked into making something myself, but I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do yet. I mostly need to find something to carpet with, but it'd need to be fairly flexible to fit the contours. If I end up making something, I'll post a step-by-step, assuming it turns out well, of course.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.