discrete gauge mounting ideas?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on discrete gauge mounting ideas? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a few 2 1/16" gauges i would like to mout in my car, and im trying to get ...

discrete gauge mounting ideas?

i have a few 2 1/16" gauges i would like to mout in my car, and im trying to get some ideas for discrete places to put them, im trying to get away from the center pod or the a piller and the pod that puts them to the left and right of the instrument panel doesnt thrill me. the glove box is a little out of the way so id like to avoid that as well. anybody come up with any creative ideas in your cars? i was looking at the ashtray but i havent mocked anything up yet.
    oops

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you check out the sticky in the cockpit and cabin section about Gauge mounting options?

A few of my favorites for discrete places are as follows:

the autometer bezel

The Suby gal Pod

And this unique one

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

yeah i read through that whole post, i like the last one but in the 05 its not the same so...
    still looking, i have to spend some serious time in the car looking for good places...

btw .. if i were to mount in the air duct as some have done, anyone know what a replacement from subaru costs once you cut the one up?
    oops

I've seen these guys on DSMtuners....seems like they do good work at a decent price.
    http://www.straightlinespecialties.c...hp?cPath=25_49
    Maybe ask if they can run a few WRX bezels off for you.
    Pushin' a Honda but scoping the Scoobies.

just go to a junk yard for a air duct thing.. or a cool place to make it not seen would be where the ash tray is you can always open and close it something.. that would be tight

I've always thought a pop-up dilly would be cool. I don't know what's behind your dash but if there's a good sized space and you could rig up a "push-up, push-down" thing with nice slow action like a casset deck that would be tats.

Here is the gauge mounting that I have been working on... some progress pics

The gauges are not pushed all the way in but you get the general idea

hey, that looks really good! What's the material? It's hard to tell from the pics....

Quote Originally Posted by scottigee
    hey, that looks really good! What's the material? It's hard to tell from the pics....
    Thanks... It is a plastic... I went looking around Home Depot to find some acrylic or plastic to make the piece and came across these plastic holders that are used if you want to build one of those translucent glass block walls. This is the piece that you would screw to the floor to use as a track to put those blocks in.

I used it because it had the nice 90 degree lip on each side that I could use to finish off the opening to the DIN slot below. then I just cut the top to fit. Lots of grinding/trimming to get the plastic to fit but should look pretty factory like when it is done.

You could probably mount a single gauge in the little fuse door/pocket to the left and below the steering wheel. I'd probably put something in there that doesn't require frequent monitoring and/or has a warning light (like an EGT gauge). You could see the light come on from the corner of your eye, but you wouldn't have to worry about staring at it all the time. You can also close the little door and put it completely out of site if you want.

Just an idea!
    Last edited by Fixxxer; 07-08-2005 at 12:44 PM.
    -Lee

+1 for autometer bezel pod.
    02 PSM WRX Wagon, Kartboy SS, Omori Guages, Stromung Dual Tip, Maddad V2 Downpipe, Bosal Uppipe, Cobb Stage 2, Rollin on P1's and Prodrive Springs

You could always remove your HVAC controls and use those holes.. 52mm gauges fit nicely in them

Quote Originally Posted by brcewane
    Here is the gauge mounting that I have been working on... some progress pics

The gauges are not pushed all the way in but you get the general idea
    you should make a lot of them and sell them. make some good cash

I know you were looking for different kind of guages but heres what I have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer
    You could probably mount a single gauge in the little fuse door/pocket to the left and below the steering wheel. I'd probably put something in there that doesn't require frequent monitoring and/or has a warning light (like an EGT gauge). You could see the light come on from the corner of your eye, but you wouldn't have to worry about staring at it all the time. You can also close the little door and put it completely out of site if you want.

Just an idea!

now thats a cool idea, i have to see what i have that i can fit in there
    oops

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.