3" deep speakers mounted without much trouble. Pics inside.

This is a discussion on 3" deep speakers mounted without much trouble. Pics inside. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My Focal Utopias... I would have been rather let down if I couldn't get them in. I used the www.iaperformance.com ...

3" deep speakers mounted without much trouble. Pics inside.

My Focal Utopias... I would have been rather let down if I couldn't get them in.

I used the www.iaperformance.com spacers.

Mounted against the door, there is no chance of fitment.

I spaced the window rail with 2 washers. Still no good.

I dremeled and pulled the screw out of the window (with the plastic white clip.)

So close.

I tossed 2 washers each under the three mounts of the IAP mounting ring.

Bingo.

I put the speaker grill on, used the door-panel spacers...

Fits perfectly.

I dedicate this thread to anyone who thought they couldn't fit

The car is an 05 (9-2x)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avaryc

I spaced the window rail with 2 washers. Still no good.

I dremeled and pulled the screw out of the window (with the plastic white clip.)
    What is the window rail and this white plastic clip thing? Also, is this a 5 1/4" or 6.5" speaker?

Congrats on the new setup! Looks nice. How does it sound? Does the door panel rattle at all with the spacers instead of the factory clips?
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

its a 6.5

im still tyring to fish wire into the doors...

The plastic thing on the window is just a tab that can be shaved off to add some clearance. I have 6.5" Infinity Kappas in the front and had to use IAPs larger clips for the door panels. I never bothered to redo the wiring through the doors because I could tell it would be a nightmare.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Yeah, I didn't want to run 100+watts through 24 gauge (plus that would mean I'd have to put the crossovers in the doors.)

I ended up running them OUTSIDE of the tubing, which looks terrible aqnd was still a major pain in the ass.

I ended up cutting the door looms off after trying to get 12awg speaker wire through them. Now I am left scratching my head. I put plastic wire looming around the wires, but I'm still not convinced that it will keep water out. If anyone has suggestions for what to do next, it would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by coreyjochim
    I ended up cutting the door looms off after trying to get 12awg speaker wire through them. Now I am left scratching my head. I put plastic wire looming around the wires, but I'm still not convinced that it will keep water out. If anyone has suggestions for what to do next, it would be great.
    I would silicone the ends of the wire looming where they meet the door and body. That should keep the water out.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Speaker trouble

I am going to be putting in front speakers which are MB Quarts. I have replaced them before with some cheap Infiniti's which are now gonzo. Anyway, I had problems before figuring out which wire is possitive and negative. Does anyone know which is which?
    Also, has anyone put in a crossover in the front door panel? If so, where did you mount it?
    Thanks all

I ran new wire, so I couldn't comment on what's positive or negative in the door. As long as the colors match where you put them in the HU, it will be fine.

Also, if you wire both doors the same, the speakers will be in phase and be OK. (IE if both are backwards, its OK.)

I put the crossover under the seat, and ran 14+16 gauge wire into the door from there.

1st off...what are the spacers you speak of. I've got Alpine SPX 177A's in my door, and with the 3/4 inch spacer, the speaker ring (around 1/4 inch) and some dremmeling on the door they still barely touch. So I'm trying to figure out a rememdy for this.

To the above poster - take out the styrofoam piece in the bottom back corner of the door card. Thats where my crossovers sit.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

There were longer plastic clips for the door panels that came with the mounting ring.

Does anyone have photos of where they put their crossovers? Ive got the door panels off and I can see that with the window down, there is no room in the door, but everyone says that you can put it on the door panel, but where. Photos anyone?
    Also, has anyone kept the plastic cover on the door? It seems to vibrate when the bass hits, and sounds aweful. Is dynomat going to really help? it looks like a lot of work.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Nice!! I love it.

I also like the silencing foam that you used on the panel. Don't forget to seal around the surround of the speaker before the panel goes back on. I use foam weatherstripping, around the oustide of the surround, to make sure that there is no loss of sound between the panel and the speaker, so that it's all transferred into the vehicle.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Nice!! I love it.

I also like the silencing foam that you used on the panel. Don't forget to seal around the surround of the speaker before the panel goes back on. I use foam weatherstripping, around the oustide of the surround, to make sure that there is no loss of sound between the panel and the speaker, so that it's all transferred into the vehicle.

The foam is factory.

Yeah, I sealed the door VERY well around the speaker baffle, using expanding foam, silicone, etc.