Door Switches
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Door Switches within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I need to run some "items" off my door switches ... so for example the door is closed ...

Door Switches

Hey guys,

I need to run some "items" off my door switches ... so for example the door is closed ... item is off, and vise versa ...

I know how I need to run wirings and such ... I just don't have a wiring diagram of the door switch wires ...

so can anybody point me in the right direction ... or tell me what wire does what ...

I have an 05 STi ...

thanks

- Steven

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've designed this wiring diagram ...

But I'm not sure if I'm using the door switch correctly ...

Any suggestions

You don't have the coil side of the relay hooked up right. You need to run 12V through it, but you've got both sides hooked up to ground.

Looking at the wiring diagram I've got, the door switch runs to ground (B wire), and the top side (Y wire) goes up to the supply (eventually, there are some things along the way). So, you probably want to run the feed to 85 and run 86 to +12V.

There's a separate door switch for every door, so if you've got 4 separate "things" to light up, they can all work independantly. You could possibly put the relay coil across the dome light, so it would come on no matter which door is open.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

Quote Originally Posted by dielectric
    You don't have the coil side of the relay hooked up right. You need to run 12V through it, but you've got both sides hooked up to ground.

Looking at the wiring diagram I've got, the door switch runs to ground (B wire), and the top side (Y wire) goes up to the supply (eventually, there are some things along the way). So, you probably want to run the feed to 85 and run 86 to +12V.

There's a separate door switch for every door, so if you've got 4 separate "things" to light up, they can all work independantly. You could possibly put the relay coil across the dome light, so it would come on no matter which door is open.
    I don't see a pic ... ?

I didn't actually post one, but here's the page:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails w101.gif  

Quote Originally Posted by dielectric
    I didn't actually post one, but here's the page:

yeah, I'm still kinda confused ... can you give any further explaination on it ...

maybe a diagram of your own?

thanks

- Steven

Here's a quickie for the front RH door switch. Basically, the idea is to have the current from the switch pass down through the coil to ground. You need to splice into the B ground wire from the switch and put the coil in series. If it's easier to get at, it would work just as well spliced into the Y wire at the top side of the switch.

I show the ground hooked up to both the coil and the light, but you don't necessarily have to wire it that way. Just as long as the grounds all go to the chassis, things will work out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails w101.gif  

Thanks, but ... I tried it that way ... and it didn't work ...

And I know why ... Its because there is no power (trigger) to pully the relay switch in the normally open contact (87) ...

So I'm back a square one ...

thanks for the help though

Hm, there must not be enough current to throw the coil. I kinda wondered when I saw the Y line coming through the dash light circuit. You might try a solid state relay instead of a mechanical one. They take a lot less current to actuate, like 50mA instead of 150mA.

You might also look at getting to the dome light. It would trigger on all four doors, and it's sourced straight from the battery so current isn't an issue. Terminals 1 and 2 would be a good place to start.

Yeah, I would go with the dome light, except there is one small problem ...

The "things" I want to turn on are underbody neon tubes ... (Bring on the flaming)

But I like the idea ... what I want it to do is ... if you open either / or both doors on the left or right side ... that sides neon tube goes on ...

You know ...

So I can't use the dome light ...

Thanks though

- Steven

It's cool, I won't tell anyone.

I'd probably wire in some pin switches, like these. The switch body gets grounded when you screw it down, so you've only got one actual wire to mess with. Tie both wires on each side together so you've got a logical-OR situation, and run that one wire to the relay. It's not as elegant as using the factory door switches, but it seems like you've beaten that to death now.

Well, I think I have another way ... But it might be to dangerous ... I'm sure though ...

Since the switch is ground, either way ...

you give power to coil but, you don't ground it ... when the door opens, some how you gound it ... (haven't gotten that far yet)

Only problem I see is, you have power to coil, but there is no ground ... which can be very bad ...

But, yeah ... I don't want to add more push buttons ... you know ...

I figured it out ...

Power the neon with the dome light power wire ...

Then simply run the ground inline with the door switch ...

It was that simple ...

So there is no power going to the neon period (until the dome light is on) ... then just complete the ground when the door is open ...

Now I'm going to order my neons ...

I will post pics when its done

- Steven

Nope, my previous post is useless ...

That didn't work the way I planed it to work ...

But me an EE friend found a way ...

There is no way to seperate all 4 doors because of this intagrated module ... it only has two inputs ... Driveers Door and all other 3 ...

So the way to do this is ... You cut the colored wired from the rear drivers side door ... and run that wire to the color wire on the drivers side ...

What that will do is put door these doors (left) on the same curcuit ... only problem is ... now the rear door gets the same buzzer sound(s) that drirvers side does ... But I don't care ...

That was easy ... I'm going to finish the install today ... i.e. running all my power wires ...

Thought I'd share

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.