Spacing the window rail?

This is a discussion on Spacing the window rail? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did this in my old car, but I'm not sure how it is possible in this one. The window ...

Spacing the window rail?

I did this in my old car, but I'm not sure how it is possible in this one. The window rail is almost against the bar in the door.

Looks like I can get MAYBE a 2.5 deep speaker with just spacers, maybe. Unfortunately the innovative automotive spacers cut out is only 5.8, and hte speakers I want (Rainbow profi vanadium) are 5.83

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did a search and finally found a thread on it. Mentions a front mount near the front speaker. However, it doesn't appear I have that. Maybe the window motor/assembly is different for 05?

OK in the 2005:

The window rail is mounted AHEAD of the speaker. I can get roughly 4mm additional by spacing it back, safely.

Hmn...

I hope the IA adapts fit

good info esp for the 05 and 9-2x peeps

man those are the speakers i am planning on getting.. if i were you .. unless you want to keep stock.. i would just cut the speaker grill out and get a custom spacer to fit with the rainbow grill flush mounted. that would look sweet i liekt he rainbow grills better then the stock grills anyways... i was planning on those rainbows but i am getting the 3 way pro line with kick bass ( discontiuned) model... if you havent bought those speakers yet i dont know if you ar e inrested but i have a set of Top of the line Rainbow Soundlines with kick bass and bi-amplble cross overs brand new never installed im looking to sell

Stock look is the most important factor here... If IAs parts fit, i can get my focals in the door. We'll see....

cool.. i dunno i would rather go genesis or rainbow or arc audio then focal.. but thats me... put up what you find out though because im planning on doing the same thin. but with kick panels

I don't know if the 05 is the same as the 02, but there is a tab on the window rail you can shave off to get an extra .5" of clearance.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

Just glass behind it, with a nut and screw through the glass for no apparant reason.

I think the screw can be shaved for sure. maybe 2mm from that...

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    05's have much more clearance than the 02-03. You should be able to squeeze Focals in without a problem....I have. I've installed Access, Polyglass and PolyKev's without any drama or spacing. Not sure if the new power series will fit though. A great alternative for a high end Audio speaker is the DynAudio GT line. They're extremely shallow and very good speakers.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I was thinking about Dyns, but a little worried they will be too laid back. I've come to love the high impact sound of the Utopias.