shift knob for the STi.................
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on shift knob for the STi................. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- well im thinking since everybody got the momo or the prodrive im thinking goin different direction with my choice.. ...

Banned

shift knob for the STi.................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well im thinking since everybody got the momo or the prodrive im thinking goin different direction with my choice..

im thinking goin with the RAZO DRIFT SPEC RA117
    it suppose to be 480 gram..
    but heres the thing i dont know if it will fit on the sti and i did alot of research on it but cant find answeres if it will fit on the sti...

heres some info on the knob..
    http://hsg01.vehicle.ad.jp/products...oductsID=765641

http://www.cardomain.com/item/RAZRA117

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looks cool, but also looks a little too big for my hand.

I think I would have to check it out in person before I installed it on my car.

you could always go with sparco ...
    http://www.sparcousa.com/tuning_knobs.asp

i had a sparco shift knob on my STi for 2 days and returned it.

it was an awesome shift knob, it was the globe R. purchased from www.hot-subaru.com

the problem was the opening at the bottom that allows the reverse selector to slide up was pretty large, and lip of the aluminum wall around the opening was really thin. my hands are big enough that my fingers drape over the front of the knob and would get irritated by that sharp lip at the bottom.. i sent it back for the prodrive knob and haven't looked back.

this will sound really bad, but...
    so look at how you hold your knob right now, and if your fingers drape over and touch the rounded edge on the bottom, look for a shifter that will mimic this. but, it HAS to say it will fit the 6sp, because of the hollowed out undersection.

most aftermarket shift knobs have a "universal" mounting system. they use a small collar that fits over the threaded shaft, with 3 pin screws. you set the collar on, tighten the screws, and they embed themselves into the threads of the shaft. you thread the knob on, viola, "custom fit". it trashed the threads, you have to use a tiny, sharp file to reshape them if you want to use a properly threaded knob ever again.

finding a shift knob for the 6sp STi is hard because of the hollow section in the bottom for the reverse selector.. the prodrive knob is MADE for the 6sp, threads on properly, works really well and won't irritate your hand. www.perrinoerformance.com has a 6sp knob that looks nice, similar to the prodrive, but i believe it uses a pin screw to hold itself in place.
    Dave
    01 RS

yeah, the perrin knob is also "universal" so its not threaded.
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    yeah, the perrin knob is also "universal" so its not threaded.
    I've got the Perrin SSK for my WRX and I think it's the same as the one pictured for the STI. Mine is threaded and took like a minute to install. All you do is screw it onto the thread until it's tight enough. It's a very nice fit, because it's not bulky or large, looks good too. I have the factory short throw shifter, so I'm not sure if it's the same fit as the STI or not, but I'm sure that someone has one and could clarify.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/Pro...hift_Knobs.htm

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.