My single boost gauge mounted on the A-Pillar

This is a discussion on My single boost gauge mounted on the A-Pillar within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know a lot of people want to mount a single gauge on the A-Pillar, but there are not really ...

My single boost gauge mounted on the A-Pillar

I know a lot of people want to mount a single gauge on the A-Pillar, but there are not really any pods out there made to fit Imprezas. Basically what I did was, I bought an Autometer mounting cup, and drilled it onto my A-pillar. Then I drilled a hole behind the cup for the vacuum hose and wires to go through. I know it doesn't look as good as the 3 gauge Defi pod in the center, or a 3 gauge pod on the A-pillar, but I like it better like this than on the steering column. If anyone wants me to explain the steps I took to do this, let me know. I know I'm not the first person to do this, but I have never seen a write up on it or anything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looks good. I was thinking of something like that for an EGT when i go stage 2.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    Looks good. I was thinking of something like that for an EGT when i go stage 2.
    not bad. hopefully what i told you helped, did you ahve any problems? i guess not, i didnt get any phone calls.

Quote Originally Posted by 05WRX0704
    not bad. hopefully what i told you helped, did you ahve any problems? i guess not, i didnt get any phone calls.
    Nope, everything went fine. Thanks

outstanding! proof positive anyone can do their own mods, even those who are self titled "electronicly stupid"

I Support ClubWRX
    That looks pretty good.

Here's another option for those interested in a single pod. I got this from Jamie (SubieGal) but I don't know if she carries them anymore. Check subiegal.com to find out.

Here's the rest of the photos:

http://www.morrisgarage.com/wrx/pod/

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

looks good guys.

Where did you guys route the hose and wires for the install? Up through the a-pillar? Smorris, did you have to drill through the pillar?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dome
    Smorris, did you have to drill through the pillar?
    No holes. I had the snap-in vent cover out for the anti-rattle fix, and ran the wires down beside the end of that. It is covered by the rear of the pod so it does not show. I used silicone to hold the meter in the pod and the pod to the pillar/dash.

Sorry for the hijack here Blue!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Thanks for the comments.

smorris-
    I liked that pod, too. But I didn't really want to spend the $60-70 for it. It looks nice, though.

dome-
    I drilled two holes into the A-pillar for the cup to mount on, and then I drilled a hole right behind it for the hose and wires to go through. Then I just ran the hose from the firewall grommet -> under the dash -> up through A-pillar. As for the wires, I ran them across the dash -> under the gauge bezel -> and then tapped into the clock wires. I know there probably would have been a closer solution, but I already knew the correct wiring for the clock, so I just used those wires.

Quote Originally Posted by smorris
    No holes. I had the snap-in vent cover out for the anti-rattle fix, and ran the wires down beside the end of that. It is covered by the rear of the pod so it does not show. I used silicone to hold the meter in the pod and the pod to the pillar/dash.

Sorry for the hijack here Blue!
    Which snap-in vent cover are you talking about? I'm installing a boost gauge this friday with a very similar pod and I'm not sure which piece you're refering to. Thanks.

Edit: just did a search and found a thread in the DIY section and on scoobymods. Only problem is all the pics in the thread are coming up as red Xs. Damn.

Oh well, the write-up is pretty clear but if anyone has pics or a link with pics that would be cool.
    Last edited by dome; 06-15-2005 at 08:39 AM.