Pioneer In-Dash Flip TV Install NEED HELP
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pioneer In-Dash Flip TV Install NEED HELP within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok Guys.. I know like absolutely nothing about car audio and I just picked up the Pioneer Model: AVH-P5700DVD and ...

Pioneer In-Dash Flip TV Install NEED HELP

Ok Guys.. I know like absolutely nothing about car audio and I just picked up the Pioneer Model: AVH-P5700DVD and they said that when they did the install that it had to be where you cannot view the TV while the car is driving. It can only be viewed when the parking brake is up. I don't know if this is a national law or just a MD state law and thhat sort of defeats the whole purpose of me buying the unit in the first place. I bought the unit so my gf could watch some TV because we go for alot of cruises during the school year (we live in Kansas and there isnt anything else to do). So I figured I would just tackle the install myself. Has anyone installed one of these and can show me like some guidelines or step-by-step instructions? I have a 2005 WRX and I will have to buy the wirining and harnesses and stuff, but just let me know what I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, it is illegal to view an in dash monitor while driving, but so is having catless exhaust.

All you should have to do is ground the wire that is connected to the parking brake, instead of having it connected to the parking brake. This will make the receiver think that the parking brake is on all the time, so you will able to view the monitor whenever you wish. Hope this helps!

For you to watch dvds while you are driving, all you do is ground the wire, that is suppose to go to the parking brake! Usually light green in color!

Newer models like my pioneer avic-d1 is a little more tricky, so I put mine on a toggle switch to fool the system into thinking the parking brake is on, while i am driving, because there are functions that will not work while you are driving! All of these things were put in place so you don't get distracted while driving! It seems like they are trying to make it harder for us to bypass this. Even my 1 yr. old Pioneer AVIC-N1, all I did was ground my parking brake wire!

Ok sorry for being a total idiot here, but when you say "ground the wire", what exactly does that mean? I am gonna tackle this install as soon as I hear back and let you know how it goes.

You'll probably need a solderless terminal ring, such as the one found here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=095-214

It can be found at any car parts shop.

You will need to:

1. Disconnect the wire that runs to the parking brake from the monitor.

2. Strip the wire about .5", then crimp on the solderless terminal ring.

3. Look for a bolt or screw near the center console (parking brake area) that is somehow connected to the chassis through metal on metal contact. Remove the bolt or screw and put the ring onto it, then reinstall the bolt.

4. As long as the ring is in contact with the chassis, this should work. If not, try to contact to another location.
    Last edited by coreyjochim; 06-13-2005 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coreyjochim
    You'll probably need a solderless terminal ring, such as the one found here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=095-214

It can be found at any car parts shop.

You will need to:

1. Disconnect the wire that runs to the parking brake from the monitor.

2. Strip the wire about .5", then crimp on the solderless terminal ring.

3. Look for a bolt or screw near the center console (parking brake area) that is somehow connected to the chassis through metal on metal contact. Remove the bolt or screw and put the ring onto it, then reinstall the bolt.

4. As long as the ring is in contact with the chassis, this should work. If not, try to contact to another location.

Exactly!

Awesome thanks guys, I will go look for that part tomorrow and do the install. Damn J69raw you've had some sweet cars man

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You guys are making this way too hard. Take the video out, loop it into the rear view camera, then connect the audio outs into the aux in. The rear camera screen is viewable at all times, regardless of whether the car is moving and aux audio is your dvd audio source. The video out will work fine, as the unit will still send out a video signal to rear monitors.... in your case the rear camera input. No need to do a monkey dance flipping switches and pumping brakes to watch a dvd.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    You guys are making this way too hard. Take the video out, loop it into the rear view camera, then connect the audio outs into the aux in. The rear camera screen is viewable at all times, regardless of whether the car is moving and aux audio is your dvd audio source. The video out will work fine, as the unit will still send out a video signal to rear monitors.... in your case the rear camera input. No need to do a monkey dance flipping switches and pumping brakes to watch a dvd.
    Easiest method is grounding the wire. What if he decides to get rear monitors? He will have to ground the wire anyways.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You mis-understood, and you don't have to ground the wire. When playing a DVD, the unit has a video out line, which provides a video for any external screen such as a headrest, flipdown, etc... which is always on, meaning that it always provides a video feed regardless of whether the vehicle is moving or not. The unit also has a rear view camera input, which can be viewed while the vehicle is in motion in case you want to tow a boat or something. The DVD will not show on the screen, as the unit knows that it's the DVD providing the image, and will prevent it from doing so as a safety feature, but it will display the video feed from the rear view camera. Now you connect the video out, which is the DVD, to the rear view camera video in, and you can watch the dvd at any given moment, even if you add the nav system which has a compass and accelerometer sensing any movement from the vehicle, not to mention the speed sense wire. You're basically tricking the unit into thinking that it's showing you the rear camera feed, when in reality it's showing the DVD. As for sound, select AUX as your source and run the audio outs, which were with the video outs, to the aux in, allowing you to hear the dvd now. No wiring to ground and flipping switches, no hacking of the dash to mount a switch, all you need is a 1 fooot audio RCA and 1 foot video RCA.

If you end up getting headrests, you simply split the video out, and get a video voltage booster, which you will need anyway if you're trying to run multiple screens. They're about 30-40 bucks.
    Last edited by ej20fan; 06-14-2005 at 09:14 AM.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

A. Find the Brake safety wire and ground it

or B.
    You mis-understood, and you don't have to ground the wire. When playing a DVD, the unit has a video out line, which provides a video for any external screen such as a headrest, flipdown, etc... which is always on, meaning that it always provides a video feed regardless of whether the vehicle is moving or not. The unit also has a rear view camera input, which can be viewed while the vehicle is in motion in case you want to tow a boat or something. The DVD will not show on the screen, as the unit knows that it's the DVD providing the image, and will prevent it from doing so as a safety feature, but it will display the video feed from the rear view camera. Now you connect the video out, which is the DVD, to the rear view camera video in, and you can watch the dvd at any given moment, even if you add the nav system which has a compass and accelerometer sensing any movement from the vehicle, not to mention the speed sense wire. You're basically tricking the unit into thinking that it's showing you the rear camera feed, when in reality it's showing the DVD. As for sound, select AUX as your source and run the audio outs, which were with the video outs, to the aux in, allowing you to hear the dvd now. No wiring to ground and flipping switches, no hacking of the dash to mount a switch, all you need is a 1 fooot audio RCA and 1 foot video RCA.

If you end up getting headrests, you simply split the video out, and get a video voltage booster, which you will need anyway if you're trying to run multiple screens. They're about 30-40 bucks.
    And theyre making it way too hard ?
    - Local Riceist

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Sorry for the long explanation but if I said just connect video out to camera in, nobody would;ve known what I was talking about.

Sorry for the long explanation but if I said just connect video out to camera in, nobody would;ve known what I was talking about.
    True, but he doesnt even have to take the h/u out of the dash to ground the light green wire
    - Local Riceist

I was making it too complicated? Do you know how hard it is to ground a wire? It takes about one minute, no more, no less. You're suggesting that he hook up his receiver completely backwards. Yes, it will work, but it's pretty stupid when the parking brake wire can just be grounded. If he decides to get rear monitors, he'll need splitters and voltage boosters? Once again, just ground the wire. If Pioneer meant for the sound to come out of the DVD player, just to go back into it from the AUX, then why do they even have the AUX? You're the one making it way to complicated. Sorry for my simple suggestion of grounding the parking brake wire.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyjochim
    I was making it too complicated? Do you know how hard it is to ground a wire? It takes about one minute, no more, no less. You're suggesting that he hook up his receiver completely backwards. Yes, it will work, but it's pretty stupid when the parking brake wire can just be grounded. If he decides to get rear monitors, he'll need splitters and voltage boosters? Once again, just ground the wire. If Pioneer meant for the sound to come out of the DVD player, just to go back into it from the AUX, then why do they even have the AUX? You're the one making it way to complicated. Sorry for my simple suggestion of grounding the parking brake wire.
    So let me know what happens if you add the Nav unit??? Since we're talking hypotheticals?? The software in the nav will cut any Video display the moment the accelerometer senses motion.

Furthermore, simply grounding it won't work, as you have to pump the brake twice to engage the video option. How do you plan on accomplishing that if the wire is grounded. But I guess you could unground, then re-ground....or wait...go my original statement of needing to install a switch. In the end it's up to you, but simply grounding it, will not work on newer units. Anything made in 2005 will require to engage the parking brake multiple times in order to work, and furthermore, the parking brake wire is not a strict ground. It actually has current flowing through it, which the pioneer will look for if you ever took the time to read the manual or call their tech support. This, again is on newer units, and if it does not sense the load on the brake wire, it will warn you that the brake wire has not been properly connected. The load is miniscule, but measureable with a MVDM. This is a huge problem with N2's in particular, as it sometimes takes several seconds for the park brake wire to re-load a charge in between pumps, meaning that the N2 will not sense that you've pumped the parking brake, in several vehicles.

The rca option is one of many ways to bypass. It's your car, and your decision in the end to go either with the rca bypass, or install a switch. Think of what plans you have for the future in regards to either expanding, or adding nav. You don't want to back-track and have to re-do installs because of poor planning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.