Can I safely remove the factory head unit?

This is a discussion on Can I safely remove the factory head unit? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Some newer cars integrate all kinds of stupid things into the fac head units now days. Part of hte ECU ...

Can I safely remove the factory head unit?

Some newer cars integrate all kinds of stupid things into the fac head units now days. Part of hte ECU functions, security, etc etc and cause problems when the head unit is pulled.

CAn I just swap out the head unit on the WRX (Saabaru 92 actually.) without having to worry about anything like this? I've got one waiting to go, and hopefully I'll take delivery of the Saabaru in a day or two.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well i seen that you posted a while ago so you might have already figured it out but just read the owners manual about the radio system, and it will tell you about security and maby about removal, or take it to a local audio shop and have them look at it.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||_____
    |.........Beer................| ||.....'|";\,___.
    |_...__...______...__..._|_||_|__|__..._|
    ..(@).(@)........(@) (@)................(@)............

yep, I already swapped it. Nothing stopped working, no codes thrown... Big <3 to Subaru for giving me so much room in there. My IPOD interface fit against the back wall with room to spare.