Mounting depth (Focal 165w)

This is a discussion on Mounting depth (Focal 165w) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking at getting a WRX soon, but I'm a bit of a nut about audio. I'm madly in love ...

Mounting depth (Focal 165w)

I'm looking at getting a WRX soon, but I'm a bit of a nut about audio. I'm madly in love with my Focal Utopia 165ws, enough so that using the speakers in the car is a deal breaker.

From just poking around the audio section, it looks like, even with spacers, there's trouble with deep 6.5s The Utopias have a 3.1" mounting depth. Is that ok?

Do I need to space the window rail (Something I had to do in my tacoma.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You can space, but the 165W will not fit unless you fiberglass the door. In regards to acoustics, WRX's are some of the worst candidates for audio. Sorry bro. Save your money and buy the Kev's, if not even lower like the Polyglass. I've had great results with infinity reference components, MB Quart PCE 216's, and Diamond Hex's. All of which are much cheaper than the Focals.

I have a set of Kev's in a Tiburon with Arc Audio Amps, and they sound just as good as the W's would have.

Another option is the DynAudio GT compontent. It's shallow and sounds awesome.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I've actually had the utopias for many years. I just want to transplant my tacoma system into the WRX.

I dont think the Ws are deeper than the Ks are they? Both are right at 3" I think.

what is the max depth for a speaker with the spacers? front? rear?
    2005 STi, WRB with Gold Wheels, MY05 Cobb Accessport Stage 1 , JT-X Carbon Fiber Hood (CF1), 20% Tint, Invidia N1 Race Catback, Cusco front and rear stut bars, Cleared Headlights, Pink "i" Symbol, JDM Hazard light button, Black "STI" License Plate piece, Mine's Carbon Fiber Spoiler

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I've fit 2.5" deep speakers with moving the rail. The Kev's were a little shallower. We're talking K2's here, not the power series. The power series is as deep as the W's. You are correct on that. Regardless, the W's will not fit behind the panel....but that doesn't mean that you can't get creative and build up from the panel with Fiberglass. If you plan on building a pod, cover it with either vinyl or cloth. Paint is harder to finish, more expensive and almost always chips.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

damn, I guess i'll use my CDT speakers then.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You lead the life of a slave.

Those are very good. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    You lead the life of a slave.

Those are very good. Enjoy.

...Audioslave?

I heard a set of focals at Tweeter a few weeks ago. Fantastic sound. Even I, however, can't cough out 1000.00 for one pair of car speakers hehe.