Double DIN Navigation system

This is a discussion on Double DIN Navigation system within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Any body have any experience with the double DIN nav systems in their WRX wagon (or others)? Any recommendations or ...

Double DIN Navigation system

Any body have any experience with the double DIN nav systems in their WRX wagon (or others)?

Any recommendations or snafus to be aware of?

I specifically want the double DIN as I don't like the single DIN with the screen that blocks your air vents, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Limehatless Avatar - I'm a trend scoffer.
    I've got a buddy going with a Pioneer AVIC-D1 and selling me his AVIC-N1 soon. Has good things to say about the D1, and it sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for. Looks cool too, and has some nice features. I'd definitely suggest taking a look at it.

Vostok 7
    BUGEYE 4 LYFE! Or uh maybe not

RIP Team Intrinsic Viva la Project 1! http://www.prjct1.com/

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 4EAT Aspen White "Akane"
    Mod List, Picts

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Aspen White "Akane II"

friend has the eclipse unit and he loves it. it have the two cds, one for navi, and the other for a music cd. heard it is the best one on the market.
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

BTW, I forgot to ask....what do the installation of these systems involve? Just the satellite antenna?

Factory nav systems are connected to the ECU somehow so they know the speed and direction (compass?) of the car so that when it loses sat signal (like in a tunnel, etc) the nav system can still estimate where you are.

Do the aftermarket nav's do this?

Here is the Eclipse unit installed in an STi.

Its super sweet.

As stated above, it has 2 disc slots, one for dvd / nav and one for cd's.

the newer unit will have a 30Gb hard drive, and the option to rip music.

Sweet thanks!

How about the speed detector?

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Speed pulse wire is standard on all units. Not very hard to install, or find if you ask the right people. I'd be glad to help when you're ready. I had the Kenwood 7015 w/ Nav, and loved it. The only thing I didn't like was the menu on the Kenwood. Very old looking. Not nearly as nice as the eclipse, alpine, or pioneer, but the screen was definately better than all others (Alpine IVA D900 excluded). We've installed ton's at Sound Waves, and here at Circuit, I'm continuing the trend with the D1. It's agreat piece, and with a DVD player mounted using a clock-pod, it looks pretty sweet. The question you really need to ask is what you want. Sound Quality, picture quality, Nav useability, overall look of the unit...??? These are all huge factors to consider before laying down some cash. Speaking of which....price should not be forgotten.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Speed pulse wire is standard on all units. Not very hard to install, or find if you ask the right people. I'd be glad to help when you're ready. I had the Kenwood 7015 w/ Nav, and loved it. The only thing I didn't like was the menu on the Kenwood. Very old looking. Not nearly as nice as the eclipse, alpine, or pioneer, but the screen was definately better than all others (Alpine IVA D900 excluded). We've installed ton's at Sound Waves, and here at Circuit, I'm continuing the trend with the D1. It's agreat piece, and with a DVD player mounted using a clock-pod, it looks pretty sweet. The question you really need to ask is what you want. Sound Quality, picture quality, Nav useability, overall look of the unit...??? These are all huge factors to consider before laying down some cash. Speaking of which....price should not be forgotten.
    I don't know much about all those units. Here's how I feel about those factors:

- sound quality on all those units is probably good enough. Considering all the road/engine noise, less than idea cabin shape, and the fact that usually speakers are the weakest link in the sound quality chain, I'd probably be happy with any of them. EQ controls for balancing the sound would be good. (I hate component speakers because they are way too bright).
    - picture quality... I guess you mean when playing DVD's... this is lower on my list as I deem the other stuff more important. Just the ability to play DVD's is a treat right now.
    - nav useability is probably TOP on the list. This is the whole reason I'm buying the nav, and I need it to be extremely useable. The Lexus RX330 nav I'm used to is pretty useable with its touch screen, compared to the garmin ones which seemed to have cumbersome menus and non-intuitive controls.
    - look of the unit... the BOTTOM of the importance list. I don't care how ugly it is. seriously. FUNCTION FUNCTION FUNCTION before form is how I live.
    - would prefer a analog or analog similar volume knob. I like to be able to spin the knob at whatever speed I want to get to the volume level I want.
    - I'm hoping not to have to give up being able to play CDR's with MP3's and WMA's.
    - I"m expecting to pay about $1500-2000

What would you recommend?

I have the Eclipse AVN 5435 double din. The Nav software is the same as used by Lexus. Beside FM and CD (slot) and DVD (2nd slot) the unit also supports 2 CD changers, an auxiliary box for SIRIUS radio, and a back up camera. I'm extremely happy with mine. As was stated earlier they are coming out with a unit that drops the CD slot for a combined slot and a 30gb hardrive for the NAV and music. It will rip/store 3,000 songs in the Sony ATRAC format.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I'm debating between the eclipse and the D-1 from Pioneer myself. The D1 has price, and usability going for it, but no DVD. The eclipse is a little nicer, but comes at a higher pricepoint. If you want NAV, the pioneer unit will be THE BEST on the market in regards to POI's and other features. It'll also be one of the easiest ones to use, plus you can get Nav-traffic updates with the XMNAV tuner, re-routing you if accidents, or traffic jams occur instantly, and automatically.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I pu tin the Pioneer double din unit last Thanksgiving. Finally got around to hooking up the back-up light lead today, July 3.

Asantillo (a good guy) was kind enough to provide me the info that the speed pulse hooks up to the green w/yellow stripe wire to the cruise control. He had asked me, and I told him "I dunno, let me know if you find out" and he was kind enough to do so. (THANKS)

So, does anybody know if you can do this within the cabin, of if I have to go out thru the firewall to get to it?

My unit works fine without it until I get into a tunnel, then it thinks we are standing still.

It worked okay without the back-up lights, too, except once in a rare while it would get confused if I backed up for any great distance, and it would start getting turns backwards for a little bit when I started out straight again.

I like the Pioneer unit fine - I'd buy one again. Works great with mp3 discs. Finding most addresses is pretty easy, but I still need to look at the manual on finding addresses at great distances. I think you have to specify a region. Mine assumes a region close to home, and address search won't find stuff outside the region.

There are a couple of places you can get to the wire. I have an 03 and just put in a avic-z1. We pulled the instrument cluster to hook up the speed pulse wire and it took maybe 15 minutes.
    Mods: VF34,TMIC, Up pipe, Dp, full catless, Ecutek, Stoptec brakes, DMS 40 coil overs, ALK, CUSCO subframe, Sparco seats, Exedy twin plate and more that I can't remember.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Passenger kick-panel for 02-03 is what we use. Works fine so far, as we have to lift one side anyway to run the back-up lights. That's a good find about the cruise control switch. Didn't even think about that. Seems so obvious now, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Would you guys take a minute to elaborate a little?

The instrument panel... you mean you pulled the speedo and tach cluster? Durn, that looks hard to get out. I've had the console and central panel out - that's pretty easy - but not the instrument panel.

The passenger kick panel - does that mean the plastic panel in front of the door, under the glovebox? I had that off and saw that there are several bundles of wires there. That's way easier to get to IMHO. Am I looking for a green w/yellow stripe wire there?

Mine is an 06 btw...

I found the wire in the engine compartment - I think. ( I am posting this to see if someone else will confirm - don't anybody go tapping it without confirmation ! ) Right side, over the wheel well - there are 3 or 4 bundles of wires neatly arranged. One of these contains a green wire with yellow stripe. Is that it? (Beware - there IS also a yellow wire with green stripe.)

I thought of going ahead and tapping to that, but I hate to penetrate the firewall. Yeah, I am a wimp when it comes to my own mods and stuff. I'm also wondering best penetration point to use. There is a round rubber plug in the firewall, just forward of the glovebox. Comes out easy, and you can see back into an area through another layer or two of sheet metal. Looks like this gets pretty close to the inside of the passenger compartment above the glovebox. I haven't fished anything in there to see if I can get a wire through yet. Anybody have an opinion or knowledge of this route? Looks like you could force a pinhole thru the plug and push the wire thru it and have a fairly water tight penetration.

Thanks guys, for your comments so far, and TIA if you can shed more light on this for me.